DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

NC city sues to take down massive US flag

Thread: NC city sues to take down massive US flag

Tags:

G26Raven said:

NC city sues to take down massive US flag

I can't even believe that this is happening. Seems like every day there is some new assault on our country's values and on patriotism in particular....

Just in time for Memorial Day, one North Carolina city has filed a lawsuit to force an RV store to pull down a 40-foot by 80-foot U.S. flag because it’s too large, reports WBTV and other news outlets.

To put the 3,200-square-foot size in perspective, that’s about 1,000 square feet bigger than the average Starbucks.

Statesville, N.C., officials say the U.S. flag at Gander RV is nearly twice the size of what is specified in city codes for “signs and other outdoor marketing devices,” says WBTV.

Gander RV, an outdoor living equipment dealer, posted news of the lawsuit on its Facebook page May 18, and said the city is “imposing” a $50 per day retroactive fine, dating back to October 15. That’s when the flag went up, the store says....

The dispute has inspired a Change.org campaign to “Let Camping World & Gander Outdoors Fly The American Flag!”

As of Wednesday, May 22, more than 140,000 people had signed the petition, which originally had a goal of only 75,000. The goal has since been raised to 150,000 signatures.

Thousands have also commented on Gander RV’s defiant Facebook post, and nearly all appear to be supportive of a keeping the flag up – “the bigger the better.”

“I don’t care if it’s large enough to be seen from space! I question the morals and honor of the folks who run the city if they want to enforce this,” posted Glen Sexton. “Change your own ordinance because it’s ridiculous to start with.”

Personally, I don't consider a US flag to be a "marketing device". It's not a flag for the store, or a particular brand of gear.

Read the whole story here:
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...WaLVHrGopu168M
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

RedSafety said:
    How does a US flag fit into "signs and other outdoor marketing devices?" I'll bet this terrorist activity by city council is rounding up MUCH more traffic than the flag did.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Conundrum said:
    Here I sit looking out my office window at the 20x38 flag that we fly over my business. Been flying it for over 30 years. In all those years I have received many thank you's and grateful acknowledgments for flying our country's flag proudly. I have once, just once, been accused of flying it as marketing or advertising gimmick. I told that jackwad to pound sand and the pile on after I did was one of the most heartwarming things I've seen....

edit to add... that is a BIG f'n flag. I know how hard ours is to handle at almost 800 sqft. Can't imagine that one but I bet it's awesome flying in the breeze.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

scottync said:
    Camping World flies them that size all over NC. You can see them from a LONG way. Wonder how many people it takes to fold that flag, and its size/weight after folding?

1942bull said:
    Silly people make silly rules. That is an eternal truth. I wonder whether the huge flag is patriotism becase a smaller flag would be patriotism too. Or is it marketng? I do not know. I do not care when you fine someone for dislaying the Flag no matter what its size it s unpatriotic. The Flag can be flown out of respect or out of self interest. What matters most is that is flown, especially this weekend.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Conundrum said:
    The time I was accused of flying it for marketing my response was that I fly it because it makes me feel good to see that flag fly high and large. I feel good every time I drive up to work and see it in the breeze.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

maxwell97 said:
    I’m all in favor of flying the flag, but good Lord, that’s a REALLY big flag.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

hogdaddy said:
    They should turn around & sue the city for not being patriotic ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

OldVet said:
    I have nothing against flying the flag over a business, but to me, those huge flags are gaudy and are not flown for any sense of patriotism. They're for marketing purposes, no other.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

ShenandoahValley said:
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have nothing against flying the flag over a business, but to me, those huge flags are gaudy and are not flown for any sense of patriotism. They're for marketing purposes, no other.
    That's your opinion but a minority one I would think.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

ShenandoahValley said:
    If you want to write a letter to someone may I suggest the Statesville Chamber of Commerce. I find they tend to care about what people think as they support the local businesses and the bottom dollar can be stepped on if enough people get pissed off. Write the council if you wish but if you cannot vote for them they won't care. I just wrote the CofC.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

OldVet said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    Doesn't change my opinion at all.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

lionround said:
    I say if the city doesn't back down on this that they should move into the county, outside city limits. Let's see how the city likes losing that tax revenue versus the $50/day fine. Money talks; bull walks.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

jmf552 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    I agree with him. According to Executive Order 10834, the largest flag authorized by government agencies is 760 sq. ft., 20x38, without an exception granted the by the president. While that does not legally constrain civilians, to me, it defines the "official" American flag. To me, "supersizing" the flag does not show respect. I do not approve of seeing flags not displayed properly.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

scottync said:
    If you are an Amazon person, they sell the 80’ by 40’ for $4200. It weighs 80 lbs, shipped in a crate.