Which do you prefer and why? - Page 2

Which do you prefer and why?

This is a discussion on Which do you prefer and why? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 I like it...Watch out Pocket fisherman...new sheriff in town I have a Ron Popeil pocket fisherman. I found it at a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Which do you prefer and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I like it...Watch out Pocket fisherman...new sheriff in town
    I have a Ron Popeil pocket fisherman. I found it at a yardsale and actually caught a few fish with it. now retired to the shelf of amazing things...

To answer the OP...the middle one, zebco style. Not much of a fisherman here, so I keep it simple.
    Old Man likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Baitcaster
    Old Man likes this.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

I like open faced reels and that's the only kind I own and if the fish want me out there they best be bitin'.
    Old Man likes this.

I never had any luck with closed face. They have too many issues. Open face just holds up better, lasts decades.
    Old Man likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member
    I started with a cane pole with no reel. My grandfather, who was my early fishing partner, used a solid metal casting rod with an off-set reel seat and a Keist Reel, both of 1920's vintage, I think. Watching him use this contraption didn't make me want to use a reel!

Name:  Keist fishing reels.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  14.5 KB

My first reel was an old Ocean City level wind knuckle buster with no free spool loaded with black braided Dacron line. I spent most of my fishing time either trying to resolve the numerous and horrendous bird's nests or retrieve my hang ups from overhead trees.

Which do you prefer and why?-ocean-city-reel.jpg

My next reel was a single action fly reel that I purchased with my own money that I had earned selling blackberries that I fought the snakes, chiggers, and ticks for possession. My grandfather had some level floating fly line and a telescoping metal fly rod he gave me. With a box of poppers I commenced fly fishing in the local ponds. So started an odyssey that I continue to enjoy after fifty years.

Name:  Antique Jap Fly Reel.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.9 KB

About the same time I started fly fishing, my grandfather allowed me to start using a Johnson Century spincast reel he had purchased shortly after the hit the market in the early 1950's. Eventually I retained ownership by possession. I didn't like it as it would only operate with light weight monofilament line and the drag was unreliable. Later patents and models supposedly addressed these issues. Twenty years after I started using this reel my wife buried it by dropping it overboard our boat while fishing Stockton Lake in Missouri for crappie. I wasn't too upset. While dragging the bottom attempting to retrieve it I picked up another rod with a Johnson Sabre reel attached and called it a good deal and went back to fishing.

Name:  Johnson Century.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  11.5 KB

My next reel was a Garcia Ambassador 5000C bait casting that was made in Sweden. It was a dream after the Ocean City level wind. I subsequently purchased several more Ambassadors and later a couple of the old blue Daiwa Millionaires. During this period of my life I was heavily into bass fishing.

Name:  Garcia Ambassador 5000C.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  14.7 KB

My last reel type that I explored was the open face spinning reel. I purchased a Garcia Mitchell 308 that was made in Sweden around 1970 and still have it today. It has had nearly every part replaced at least once and continues to see occasional duty for ultra-light fresh water fishing when I'm not using a fly rod.

Which do you prefer and why?-garcia-mitchell-308.jpg

So to answer the original question "Which fishing reel do you prefer and why?" my response would be that I use different reels for different application, but I prefer to fly fish with a single action fly reel. My most often used fly reel is a System 2L 56 made in England that I normally fish with 6 WFF on a Walton Powell 8 1/2 foot 5-6-7 weight four piece fly rod I had made many years ago when the Powell Rod Company was in Chico, CA. This reel is very basic, reliable, has an audible clicker for line movement, and is lightweight, therefore reducing fatigue when making many casts. It can handle larger fish, if I were ever so lucky to hook one, but is not too heavy when fishing for bluegill, green sunfish, bass, and other panfish. I stays in my pickup truck along with my fly rod and small soft-sided tackle pack, ready for opportunities to wet a line.

Which do you prefer and why?-img_5547.jpg
    Which do you prefer and why?-img_5548.jpg
    Last edited by Old Man; May 23rd, 2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Open face. You'd be surprised at the size of some sharks I've hauled in on little bass rigs. I have one little Zebco I keep around if the grandkids ever get the urge.
    Beaching a shark is fun around swimming tourists... they have no idea what prowls just beyond the surf.
    Old Man, msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

When I was old enough for serious fishing my Dad taught me how to use the bait caster because that's all there at that time. I am partial to them today. When the open face spinning reels came around I immediately became interested. Stayed with these till I gave all my tackle to my sons
    Old Man likes this.

Cornhusker95, what is this "fishing" of which you speak?
    Pete63 likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

On a dock or boat I prefer a bait caster, when fishing from the bank make it an open face. When I was backpacking in the mountains of California I always had a fly rod and reel with me.
    Old Man and Pete63 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I do not think I have ever used a closed reel. Maybe as a toddler with a toy fishing pole perhaps? I have never been fresh water fishing also. My fishing was split equally between boat, pier, jetty and surf. Bait caster for pier and boat, open for surf and jetty. I have surf fished with the caster, mostly just becasue it ended up that way. You can send them pretty far without a giant bird's nest but it will never be a proper surf rig.
    Old Man likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Open face. You'd be surprised at the size of some sharks I've hauled in on little bass rigs. I have one little Zebco I keep around if the grandkids ever get the urge.
    Brown Sharks?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I had a brown and gold Zebco 606 when I lived near the res in Florida
    And now you're saying that you've gone off the reservation ???
    Pete63 likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Some would say that.
    Pete63 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Some would say that.
    Which is VERY SCARY if you ask me!
    PhaedrusIV and glockman10mm like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    I own several Johnson's like @Old Man , but newer. I love them, and hardly use anything else, although I own open face (Garcia), and bait cast reels (Shakespeare).
    Cornhusker95 and Old Man like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links