How do you maintain fitness?

This is a discussion on How do you maintain fitness? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was a little kid, I was fat. When I went to buy clothes, they coyly called my size "husky." In high school, I ...

View Poll Results: How do you maintain fitness?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Running/jogging

16 19.75%
  • Swimming

8 9.88%
  • Bicycling

19 23.46%
  • Hiking/walking

46 56.79%
  • Calisthenics

13 16.05%
  • Weight lifting

30 37.04%
  • Martial arts

9 11.11%
  • Rock climbing

0 0%
  • Racquet ball

0 0%
  • Other

29 35.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: How do you maintain fitness?

When I was a little kid, I was fat. When I went to buy clothes, they coyly called my size "husky." In high school, I shot up and lost weight, but for much of my life I was overweight. Even when I was very actively scuba diving, I was always heavier than I wanted to be. It's only been in the last 10 years that I have slimmed down and maintained a reasonable level of fitness. I went from 193 to 157, and I am still working on getting down to 150.

I try to keep fit because it's important to me for hunting, and for the defense of myself and my wife. Today, I engage in a variety of activities. I try to hike at least four or five days a week, some days with a 40 pound pack. I also lift weights, not to bulk up but to maintain muscle tone and to keep in shape for archery. I've also just started doing karate, which seems to be a pretty good workout at times. In the winter, we ski. I am careful about my caloric intake and monitor it daily (easy to do with a smartphone application).

How important is fitness to you and what do you do to maintain fitness?
    Last edited by G26Raven; May 26th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.
    OD*, ShooterGranny, DZUS and 4 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

We have a gym membership. We do the treadmills on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We do the weight machines on Tuesday and Thursday.
    G26Raven, OD*, DZUS and 3 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I drink Mt. Dew and eat Hostess cup cakes, Hershey bars, Fritos, potato chips, lots of meat and potatoes at meals and am gnawing on some pizza right now.

Did that for 50 years and stayed at close to 180 lbs without trying and my 6' 1" frame carried it well. Alas the last 20 years have resulted in no changes to eating habits while health concerns not only changed my activity level it changed my weight as well. Now I've been at 235 for the last 10 years.

Those same health concerns have changed my perspective on what "in shape" means. I now accept that roundish is a shape.
    G26Raven, OD*, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Bikenut, wish I had your metabolism when I was younger. I had a friend (now gone) who was ex UDT who weighed 140 pounds/ 5'10" right up until he died. And, he ate way more food than I could ever pack away.
    Bikenut, airslot and Sister like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I do lots of walking and lifting at work as well as some light hiking. Favorite home workout is yoga. It builds strength as well as increasing flexibility. Still not all the way to where I want to be weight wise, but getting there
    G26Raven, AzQkr and Rick McC. like this.

My sister was around 105 pounds her entire adult life no matter what she ate. I could watch her eat and I would gain weight.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    We walk/hike, thus I've spent a small fortune in footwear mostly New Balance shoes. On average 5 out of 7 days per week. Our walks average a minimum of 3 miles, gone are the days of occasional twenty milers, thus long walks are 7-8 miles. We are in the foothills not flat landers. We also belong to the YMCA, when there while the spouse swims laps I utilize the elevated indoor walking lane, fast walking 4 miles per hour on average. We also do manual labor on the wooded property.

Biking, hiking, running and gym for me. (And skiing in the winter.)

I'll run some 5 and 10K races each year, and since I'm now 70 years of age, I can place fairly high in the age divisions since there are fewer competitors.

G26Raven likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I picked other because Yoga is a big part of my daily exercise, along with calisthenics. When I was doing cardio rehab, Yoga was part of the program. What I really like about it is the stretching, which keeps me quite limber.

The other BIG factor in my fitness routine, is diet. Reading food labels and paying attention to fat, saturated fat, carbs, sugars, and sodium.

Just as important, regarding diet, is serving size. That's an aspect of diet that gets overlooked or ignored more than anything else. I stick to serving sizes. On the rare occasions when I do eat at a restaurant, about half of what's on my plate gets taken home in a doggie bag.
    G26Raven and artemis28 like this.

I walk every day (at least a mile, usually more), and do a lot of backcountry flyfishing. Mountain flyfishing involves hiking, rock climbing, bushwhacking, etc. and is NOT sitting on the bank "fishing." I do stretches and calisthenics in the morning, and lift light weights a couple times/week. 5' 11" and 175 pounds -- sometimes up to 180 in winter. The 5 pounds goes away when I get back on the streams.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

While in my twenties, I developed the physique of an intermediate bodybuilder using progressive hypertrophy training exercises while maintaining a healthy diet.

In my late thirties, I got into power lifting until a serious illness knocked me off my feet for several years.

After a slow recovery, I developed a circuit training regimen that I still perform to maintain my health and appearance. It involves a combination of strength and cardiovascular exercises I do every other day. I also bike, jog, and walk.

Can't prevent the increasing number of wrinkles and greying hair, but that doesn't mean once we pass sixty we have to get all gloomy about it and resign ourselves to rocking our days away in front of the idiot box while slurping soup and complaining about politics. I choose to stay active in every respect, and will continue to do so until my number is called.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I walk the GSD 2 miles every morning unless its raining.
    I have a Soloflex and Bowflex that I use about 20 min. at least every other day.

I'm 6'1 about 210# could be lighter weight if I gave up pizza & beer, .... status quo it is.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Name:  Pug.png
Views: 50
Size:  208.3 KB
    G26Raven, halem1, airslot and 5 others like this.

I retired January 1 and promised myself I would lose 40 pounds by the end of the year. At this time I am down 22 pounds. I can only do limited exercise because of neuropathy in hands and feet. I have changed my eating habits to low carbs and no sweets. Wish I could do more exercise.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

@Gabill -- Congrats on your retirement and weight loss. So sorry about your neuropathy, though. I know your situation -- my wife has severe CIDP. It's very difficult.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links