DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

When NFL men were really men...

Thread: When NFL men were really men...

Tags:

OldVet said:

When NFL men were really men...

Green Bay Packer star Bart Starr has passed on. Few in the game have the character of his kind. RIP, Bart.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

LimaCharlie said:
    He was one of my heroes growing up. RIP Bart!
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Shootnlead said:
    There are many of the same character...they are just no longer celebrated.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

sammeow said:
    Farewell, though I hated you beating my Cowboys, I enjoyed you4 skills.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

riverrambler said:
    RIP. Back when football was something to watch. No interest in it whatsoever any more
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Old Man said:
    Bart Starr running behind right guard Jerry Kramer for the winning touchdown in the Ice Bowl to beat Dallas is one of my all time favorite sports memories. Bart Starr was the quintessential Southern Gentleman. I cannot fathom Bart Starr not standing for the national anthem or being involved in domestic violence.

OldVet said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Bart Starr running behind right guard Jerry Kramer for the winning touchdown in the Ice Bowl to beat Dallas is one of my all time favorite sports memories. Bart Starr was the quintessential Southern Gentleman. I cannot fathom Bart Starr not standing for the national anthem or being involved in domestic violence.
    I cannot fathom Starr being involved in any violence--off the field!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OldVet said:
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    RIP. Back when football was something to watch. No interest in it whatsoever any more
    I agree. Other than occasionally checking during a commercial break to see how bad the Dolphins are playing, I no longer keep track of the NFL.

Mike1956 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Farewell, though I hated you beating my Cowboys, I enjoyed you4 skills.
    He was pretty hard on my Cleveland Browns, as well.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

DZUS said:
    From Wiki...

Starr has an NFL award named after him. The Bart Starr Award is given annually, by a panel of judges, to an NFL player of outstanding character.

"Outstanding character". Sums up Bart Starr quite nicely.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Black Knight said:
    I graduated High School in 78 and he was one of my as a kid.