Veterans, do you salute the Flag covered or uncovered? - Page 2

Veterans, do you salute the Flag covered or uncovered?

This is a discussion on Veterans, do you salute the Flag covered or uncovered? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since Marines never saluted uncovered, I do not salute. While active it was only proper to salute with a uniform cover on anyway, not a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Veterans, do you salute the Flag covered or uncovered?

Since Marines never saluted uncovered, I do not salute. While active it was only proper to salute with a uniform cover on anyway, not a ball cap.

However, not being under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ, I would figure a veteran can do damn well as he pleases.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    Last summer when I went to gas up I noticed a Lincoln at the pump, on the front bumper was a plate showing the Medal of honor. I had never seen one before. while I stand there looking this person same out and walked to to car. My thought was what do I do now. I came to attention and gave a very military salute. He smiled nodded and drove off.
    The fact he only smiled and nodded makes me wonder if it was someone else's tag.
    DZUS and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Great replies, my friends; and thanks!

In my case, I just love standing tall and hand-saluting every time I hear our stirring and wonderful National Anthem.

And, since I just looked into it, I'll now keep on my tasteful cover (it says USAF Veteran), and feel even better about the event.

msgt/ret likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I salute, covered or uncovered. But I always wear a hat except indoors.
    DZUS likes this.

Alway expect the unexpected

US Army 95B
    NRA Life Member

Dan

Honestly, most who sing the anthem at games, etc., make me cringe when they add their "flair" to it. It's not the time to demonstrate your pitch range or how well you can yodel (or not). Sing it like it's meant to be sung or don't sing it at all. I'm fine with a recording.
    msgt/ret, Mike1956, DZUS and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I was trained to face the flag, uncover and stand at attention when in civis. Been out of the military a long time now and still do this. I see other people do differently and don't take offense provided it is done respectfully. I'm sure there are some who will scoff at me for not at least putting my hand over my heart, but that is how I was trained.

Heck all the services can't even agree on whether to salute indoors or not.
    Mike1956, DZUS and msgt/ret like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The fact he only smiled and nodded makes me wonder if it was someone else's tag.
    Yeah, I would have expected a return salute would be in order if it was his plate. Sadly there are posers.
    OldVet and graydude like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Honestly, most who sing the anthem at games, etc., make me cringe when they add their "flair" to it. It's not the time to demonstrate your pitch range or how well you can yodel (or not). Sing it like it's meant to be sung or don't sing it at all. I'm fine with a recording.
    Agreed.

Sometimes performers can riff and embroider on tunes, and it's okay; kinda like verbal boasting. Typically, I prefer vocals as written.

That said, the National Anthem is not for modification; and, if someone can't sing it, there are others who can do a darned fine job.

OldVet and WC145 like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Hat off, hand over heart. I haven't saluted since I was in uniform.
    This,
    DZUS likes this.

Every time I hear the national anthem, I have a flashback to the last day of SERE training when the American Flag went up and they played the national anthem.
    msgt/ret, DZUS and WC145 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Retired Navy here.... I stick to the 'uncover and place over left chest/sholder' or hold cover in left hand, right over heart, always facing the flag.

The hand salute thing was fought for, by vets, to continue the traditions, and recognition of, their service in uniform.
    “The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have served in our nation’s armed forces,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our nation’s flag.”
    From U.S. Dept. of Veteran Affairs
    DZUS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I'm not in uniform, it's hand over heart. Since I haven't worn a uniform in nearly forty years, I don't do much saluting.
    Yep...this is what I do.
    DZUS and goldshellback like this.

Distinguished Member
    Being a civie, it's hand over heart for me... cover off if I'm wearing one, unless the sun's in my eyes, then it's cover on, so I can see the Flag.
    DZUS likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Since Marines never saluted uncovered, I do not salute. While active it was only proper to salute with a uniform cover on anyway, not a ball cap.

However, not being under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ, I would figure a veteran can do damn well as he pleases.
    Anyone collecting retirement pay remains subject to UCMJ though the likelihood of being charged under UCMJ is, for most things, remote.
    DZUS likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Anyone collecting retirement pay remains subject to UCMJ though the likelihood of being charged under UCMJ is, for most things, remote.
    How are you subject to the authority of the UCMJ by collecting a pension?
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links