Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike? - Page 7

Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?

This is a discussion on Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After reading through the thread I must admit dogs in a restaurant do not bother me as long as they are not on the menu ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?

After reading through the thread I must admit dogs in a restaurant do not bother me as long as they are not on the menu although some of the places I have eaten that may have been true.
    OldVet, OD*, AzQkr and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

My German Shepherd is 118 lbs and he is an inside/outside dog. (He has a doggie door to the back yard) He comes and goes as he pleases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?-screenshot_20190525-181337_gallery_1559180742364.jpg  

My wife and I raise service dogs to be guide dogs. We are returning another one in about 3 weeks after having her/training her for the last 11 months. We of course take her everywhere with us, as is allowed by law. So we see all kinds of reactions. She wears a vest while in public, and most people just ignore her, which we prefer they do. But it gives us a different perspective on the folks that cheat the system. We work so hard at training that it is very tough for us to accept some of the misbehaving animals we see in stores and restaurants being passed off as service dogs. One of my sisters is one of these. She got some quack to certify her little POS lapdog as a support or service animal. She is allowed to fly with that floor mop in her lap and we can't fly with our service dog because she's not fully certified yet! She is 100 times better trained my sisters dog. Ticks me off.

But as to the subject, I don't mind well behaved dogs in stores that allow them. Home Depot's around here welcome them, as do Lowes, farm supply stores, pet stores, etc. We have 2 German Shepherd's that go with us to those places. But I don't like seeing non-service dogs at restaurants, outside patio or not. It just invites abuse, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I would share a sandwich with them
    I share, but I tear off a small bite; Loki and especially Max would take the whole sandwich if offered.

Although Loki is guilty of occasional "self grooming" I try to brush his teeth every other day; I know there are people with nastier mouths.
    Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?-lokiteeth.jpg

My English Bulldog is incapable of "self grooming" he is too short / fat ; when I had him neutered he didn't get a cone of shame from the vet, I figured it was because he couldn't reach the area. When Loki was neutered he didn't get a cone either, I had to ask why he didn't get a cone to keep him from messing with it and they said it was never a problem, they were right.

If @glockman10mm makes fun of me for brushing a dogs teeth it won't be a surprise I've not always done that, but being retired I have the time and it wouldn't be a bad thing if his teeth stayed clean like that for as long as possible.
    OD*, G-man*, mbschne and 2 others like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I enjoy meeting dogs at Lowes, etc, and take one of my Chihuahuas with me quite often - the friendly one. Truth is, most dogs are better behaved that some people I see.
    OD*, Wolf357, CDW4ME and 2 others like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    I enjoy meeting dogs at Lowes, etc, and take one of my Chihuahuas with me quite often - the friendly one. Truth is, most dogs are better behaved that some people I see.

I had a Chihuahua once, never will again; of course he lived longer than any other dog I've owned.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Today was a nice day for lunch at restaurant with dog friendly outdoor patio.
    Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?-dukelokilunchjun6.jpg
    OD*, msgt/ret, mbschne and 3 others like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    It depends upon the dog and it depends upon the business. A restaurant? No.

If you've ever had to apologize for your dog in public, the dog may not belong in a store either. A lot of dogs are good dogs. A lot of dogs aren't, but in the eyes of their owner they're perfect little angels.

I could and do say the exact same things about kids.
    msgt/ret, Wolf357, OldVet and 2 others like this.

This lunch was about as good as it gets without an ocean view.
    Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?-lunchjune14.jpg

I didn't care much for dogs until we starting taking care of my son's dog sometimes. She is a lovable sweetheart! Now we'll take Sadie everywhere we can and one of us will stay outside with her while grocery shopping or at places that don't permit animals inside. Like anything else, you have to be aware and follow the rules. There will always be people that abuse any situation.
    OD*, CDW4ME, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I'm a dog guy, but I don't want to see dogs inside restaurants. Outside patios are fine as are dog friendly stores. Dogs that are constant yappers though, now that's another story.

We swore after we put our last dog down two years ago Memorial weekend we'd had our last dog. But we've got a first pick deposit down on an upcoming pocket Beagle litter. We haven't had one this small before, but our retirement home kind of demands it. We've had dogs since shortly after we married 44 years ago (in August), and two years without a pooch in the house has been tough. Plus, the dog will be something that will drive me to remain physically active with walks up and down the steep hills of our neighborhood.
    OD*, CDW4ME, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    This lunch was about as good as it gets without an ocean view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LunchJune14.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	296664
    That beer looks mighty tasty!!!
    OD* and CDW4ME like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    CDW4ME, OldChap, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That beer looks mighty tasty!!!
    It was and it helped a good cause, for each "Diddley" keg sold Double Dogs donates $20 to the local animal shelter.
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/braxt...-diddley-lager
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That video was awesome, makes me want to buy some of their coffee.
    The little GSD pup story in the video hits home for me.
    I don't tell anyone the horror story anymore, like yesterday when a waitress commented about other GSD's being "bigger", I just smiled and said he (Loki) is still growing, he is on par for 14 months old, and his parents were just average size.

The story I don't share anymore: Loki was our first GSD, found him on Puppy Find when he was about 4 weeks old, backyard breeder 3 hour drive one way from our house. I liked that the parents were pictured in the car and on the couch rather than being kept in a kennel, he would be ready to go home about the time my boys got out of school for the summer, perfect. I picked him up at just over 7 weeks old, never had a GSD pup before and thought he would be bigger but he seemed okay other than being smaller than expected. Most pups that age are rambunctious, he was calm, figured he was just tired. About 1/2 way home we stopped and offered him water, he gulped it down. When we got home we gave him some food, he ate a little then fell over, what the heck! He stared passing worms, about 3 inches long, we were freaking out. He would walk and fall over, we thought he might die. We called our vet and requested an emergency visit, it was late on a Sat. afternoon. We sent the "breeder" a picture of the worms and her reply was "that's normal" . I was livid , how could anyone be so dumb to let this happen; I assume it was stupidity since I got pictures of the pup in a crib with her toddler right before I picked him up. No, I never contacted the "breeder" again. Loki was only 4.5# at just over 7 weeks old.
    Loki was so dehydrated, the vet gave him an IV, high calorie gel and wormer, said he would normally keep him overnight in that condition but nobody would be there. We took Loki home and prayed he would make it. Loki eventually passed 12 of those horrible life sucking parasitic worms. Loki was a "rescue" that shouldn't have been a rescue. I could have gone to the humane society and gotten a healthier pup.
    My buddy had a rough start, but by a year old he was about 76# and 24'' at the shoulder, average size for a male GSD.
    In Loki's case, average is pretty dang good (a miracle).
    It sickens me that parasitic worms (and stupidity) nearly killed such a beautiful, sweet dog.
    Pet dogs at willing businesses. You... like, don't care, dislike?-loki14months.jpg
    mbschne, CWOUSCG and Hatchee like this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links