When it's your time to go - Page 3

When it's your time to go

This is a discussion on When it's your time to go within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldChap Many do not know that lightning actually travels from earth to sky. It is an interesting, and deadly, phenomena. Doesn't matter ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: When it's your time to go

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Many do not know that lightning actually travels from earth to sky. It is an interesting, and deadly, phenomena.
    Doesn't matter which direction it's going if it gets you!
    OldChap, msgt/ret and Redbert31 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Doesn't matter which direction it's going if it gets you!
    That would be why you don't golf in the rain right???

When it's your time to go-coon1q4uiaaf7qr.jpg
    msgt/ret and Redbert31 like this.

I lost seven calves to one strike - they were all under a tree that wasn't hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That would be why you don't golf in the rain right???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coon1Q4UIAAF7Qr.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	296274
    I don't play golf at all. Long story, but I got my sign.
    Redbert31 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    I don't play golf at all. Long story, but I got my sign.
    I can't afford to...Replacing clubs bent in half upon impact gets expensive plus never have i golfed and said.....
    Man this is relaxing after 9 or 18 holes.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    @chiefjason may be the only member here who can verify my lightning strike story for any unbelievers. We used to run in the same flyfishing group, and he's probably heard the story from those who were present.
    After reading it, yeah I remember that one. lol

I've been close enough to be blinded by the flash momentarily but not close enough to feel anything luckily.
    Wavygravy and Redbert31 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    A lot of people are not aware that there are two parts to lightning, the leader stroke and the return stroke. The one you can see, the one that makes the flash and the noise and causes the damage, is the return stroke. But immediately proceeding every return stroke is a leader stroke, which is usually invisible and silent. Leader strokes do not always generate a return stroke, so you may be getting hit by leader strokes just being outside in a thunderstorm and you would never know it.

I have had the very rare experience to see and touch a leader stroke and it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. The phenomenon is called St. Elmo's Fire. It happens when a leader stroke is not followed by a return stroke, but it still finds a path through something conductive. It gets its name from St. Erasmus, nicknamed St. Elmo, who was the patron saint of Portuguese and Italian mariners. Sometimes at sea, the metal parts of ship's masts would glow an eerie blue. It was thought to be a sign that St. Elmo was protecting the ship in bad weather.

I was flying the A-6 Intruder in the Mediterranean during a series thunderstorms. We steered clear of the visible thunderheads, of course, and the plane was not being rained on. But all of a sudden, the plane was enveloped by the blue glow. One really strange part of it was I could hold my finger about an inch from the windscreen frame and a blue "spark" would jump to my finger tip. It created no feeling in my finger, just the visual. It was a "Twilight Zone" kind of experience. We immediately changed course and altitude until it went away.

There are not many good pictures of this phenomenon. The two images below are computer generated conceptions of St. Elmo's fire on an actual British 747 flight, one image of an engine nacelle and the other an image of what it looked like through the windscreen. The phenomenon caused two of that 747's engines to flame out. My experience is that is pretty much what it looks like.

Attachment 296260
    Attachment 296262
    I’ve seen St Elmo’s fire around the windshields many times especially over the Indian Ocean enroute or returning from Diego Garcia. My first time seeing it was just a dim glow around the windshield frame that gradually got brighter and spread out about an inch all the way around all the windshields. Have had the airplane struck once, we were taking off from Dover AFB when the bolt hit the radome momentarily blinding both pilots. There were no thunderstorms in the area just a thick cloud deck. Since we were only a few thousand feet up we got clearance and brought the airplane back, after landing maintenance did a coin test and found two foot area of the radome delaminated.
    jmf552, Redbert31 and TSKnight like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I’ve seen St Elmo’s fire around the windshields many times especially over the Indian Ocean enroute or returning from Diego Garcia. My first time seeing it was just a dim glow around the windshield frame that gradually got brighter and spread out about an inch all the way around all the windshields. Have had the airplane struck once, we were taking off from Dover AFB when the bolt hit the radome momentarily blinding both pilots. There were no thunderstorms in the area just a thick cloud deck. Since we were only a few thousand feet up we got clearance and brought the airplane back, after landing maintenance did a coin test and found two foot area of the radome delaminated.
    Cool! We should start a "St. Elmo's Fire" club!

Seriously, do you know of any decent actual photography of St. Elmo's? I looked online, but couldn't find much.
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The only time I've seen St. Elmo's Fire was in the pasture gathering cattle before a storm. The bull was acting jumpy so I was keeping an eye on him. The tips of his horns started to glow blue and eventually looked like pompoms on the points. Grandpa lost two heifers that afternoon because they were eating grass through the fence when it was hit by lightning.

Definitely have a healthy respect for Lightning. Well, actually Mother Nature in general.
    Wavygravy and msgt/ret like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    The only time I've seen St. Elmo's Fire was in the pasture gathering cattle before a storm. The bull was acting jumpy so I was keeping an eye on him. The tips of his horns started to glow blue and eventually looked like pompoms on the points. Grandpa lost two heifers that afternoon because they were eating grass through the fence when it was hit by lightning.

Definitely have a healthy respect for Lightning. Well, actually Mother Nature in general.
    Me too, By Gum. When I go on car camping/fishing trips with my flyfishing "group," I get teased unmercifully about getting in my car at the first sound of thunder. At the same time, though, they all say that they don't want to pitch their tents near me 'cause I might attract lightning.
    TSKnight likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Wife just told me about someone she knows who was going into their pasture to bring in their horses....bolt hit near by and killed the horses he was moving towards right in front of him....he figured their steel shoes did them in.....needless to say he had to come back and change his pants.
    TSKnight, msgt/ret and Wavygravy like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

I'll make it a challenge to kill me by shark or airplane.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Me too, By Gum. When I go on car camping/fishing trips with my flyfishing "group," I get teased unmercifully about getting in my car at the first sound of thunder. At the same time, though, they all say that they don't want to pitch their tents near me 'cause I might attract lightning.
    Those wonderful, expensive graphite rods make great lightning rods. There has been a few pics of where they've been struck on boats. Fortunately, they were in rod holders, no one was holding them at the time.
    Wavygravy, msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Cool! We should start a "St. Elmo's Fire" club!

Seriously, do you know of any decent actual photography of St. Elmo's? I looked online, but couldn't find much.
    This might help with a good understanding of what you're seeing. While it is true that St Elmo's occurs because of very high voltage potentials, St Elmo's is not necessarily the precursor to a lightning strike. This is a pretty simple explanation of this fascinating phenomenon.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...-elmo-fire.htm

I've seen St Elmo's several time while chasing tornadoes, but I never got a lightning strike as a result. On the other hand, I was parked on a country road looking at a tornadic formation beneath a thunderstorm and lightning hit a telephone pole right across the road from me. I'll take the St Elmo's any day!
    msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Those wonderful, expensive graphite rods make great lightning rods. There has been a few pics of where they've been struck on boats. Fortunately, they were in rod holders, no one was holding them at the time.
    Yes they do. The lightning may have hit me due to the fact that I have a small metal plate in my head as well....
    OldChap, msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links