When it's your time to go

This is a discussion on When it's your time to go within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This guy was hit by lightning while riding his motorcycle , what are the odds of this happening An off-duty Virginia trooper reportedly saw the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: When it's your time to go

This guy was hit by lightning while riding his motorcycle , what are the odds of this happening

An off-duty Virginia trooper reportedly saw the strike happen.

FHP: Motorcyclist dies after being struck by lightning on I-95 - Story | WOFL

https://discovertheodds.com/what-are...-by-lightning/

To most of us, the odds of being struck by lightning, “1 in a million,”

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Yikes.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Ouch. I don't mind riding in the rain. Once it came down so hard everybody but me and the semi I was following were on the side of the road. I was riding up to meet my stepbrothers for the first time. But I won't ride in a thunderstorm.
    OD*, gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

“According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a bolt of lightning struck a motorcyclist's helmet while traveling southbound on Interstate 95 near mile marker 27.

This caused the driver to leave the roadway.“

Yeah, I’ll bet. Poor guy. I vastly prefer being surrounded by lots of metal when driving, but I never thought of this as a reason before.
    OD*, OldChap, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Mrs OldChap has been hit by lightning...or more accurately the 1972 Chevy station wagon was hit. The bolt left a 2 inch diameter burned spot down to bare metal on the roof and exited the right rear steel belted radial tire. 1 in 999,999.

Actually, lightning annually kills a great many people. Sorry to hear of this tragic incident. I was sitting in my easy chair here when lightning struck a tree outside not 20 feet away. 1 in 999,998.

EDIT - This gives me an excellent reason to accuse Mrs OldChap of having a "fiery temper."

I should have added, she was inside the car at the time and was stopped by traffic on top of the levee along the Trinity River in Dallas. When we replaced the tire, I didn't tell the guys what had happened. there was a crowd gathered around in the work area - all scratching their heads. It was funny.
    Last edited by OldChap; June 10th, 2019 at 01:18 PM.
    OD*, AzQkr, Poorly and 5 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Besides being shot and blown up, part of my "Mr. Lucky" nickname comes from being struck by lightning. I was on a fishing trip, lightning hit a tree less than 6 feet away, and travelled sideways to me. It knocked my glass eye out of my head and left me briefly unconscious. When I came to, my fishing buddy was standing over me asking if I was OK? He says my hair was standing straight up. After a few minutes, we both were on our hands and knees searching in the leaves for my glass eye. We both burst out laughing.
    That is a true story.
    OD*, AzQkr, matthew03 and 11 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Riding in a thunderstorm is no picnic...I often think of that same thing happening when i get caught in one.

I don't care about riding in the rain. I am very wary of lightning. I've seen what electricity can do to a human being.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I guess I'm a "motorcycle weenie," but I never intentionally ride in the rain. I won't ride if rain is even predicted, much less a thunderstorm. I've been caught in the rain a few times and done fine, but when the drops start hitting my face shield, I start heading home, cautiously. I'm not giving anyone else advice here, nor am I looking for advice. I'm just sayin'...
    niks and Redbert31 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Never been hit by lighting, but there is a spot about 20 yards south of my house that gets hit regularly.
    Over the years I've lost all sorts of electronics to the static field of a lighting strike.

The most recent was when it splattered my radio antenna all over the yard. We found pieces almost 100 yards away. Oh, it melted the coax cable along with the circuit board in the base station.
    OldChap and Redbert31 like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I became convinced we all have a "time to go" when a KC-135 crashed at Fairchild AFB, WA, while practicing for an airshow. One person on the ground was killed. That person was supposed to have been on the -135 but canceled out at the last moment. Got him anyway.

There have been numerous times during my life I probably should have been a goner, but I guess it just wasn't "my time." I had a bolt of lightning strike a streetlight pole yards away at Robins AF, GA. I felt the static build up a split second before BOOM!

Had someone timed me, I would have set a new world's record for the 50-yard dash into the building.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

From the NWS, interesting stats...

Odds of Becoming a Lightning Victim
    (based on averages for 2009-2018)
    Estimated U.S. population as of 2019

Average Number of Deaths Reported

Estimated number of Injuries

Odds of being struck in a given year (estimated total deaths + estimated injuries)

1/1,222,000

Odds of being struck in your lifetime (Est. 80 years)

1/15,300

Odds you will be affected by someone struck (10 people for every 1 struck)

1/1,530

Odds that you will be struck while riding your motorcycle

1/300,000,001

(Yes, I made up the last one )
    Redbert31 likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

^^ And then there was the park ranger who was struck something like 5-6 times over the course of his career. I guess he was a little slow on the hints to change careers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lightening hit a pine tree about twenty feet from me, split it in half, and caught it on fire while I was working. I called it in and state forestry came up to put the fire out.

When we lived in Southwest Florida, my wife and I were setting on our covered lanai one evening during a thunder storm. Lightening hit the power pole between our house and the neighbor's house blowing the transformer.

In both cases, the flash and noise were quite awesome.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Many years ago lightning hit something in/on our house, traveled through the wiring and came dancing out through the TV and across the carpet in the family room. One son was home at the time and said it was the weirdest thing he'd ever seen. He was unharmed. The TV was totally fried. We were one lucky, protected family that evening!

I think that might have been when we had an outside TV antenna on a metal tower right next to the house. Too long ago to remember for sure, though.

There was also one time when lightning flashed out through the phone receiver in the kitchen. It was not as dramatic, but scary anyway. Since then I have never used the phone during storms, even though we now have a cordless phone set for our land line.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links