make July gun pride month?

This is a discussion on make July gun pride month? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/0...n-pride-month/ The problem I see with this is that we lose our tactical advantage if we wore pro-2A apparel when bad guys are around. The ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 4 Post By Havok
  • 1 Post By jmf552

Thread: make July gun pride month?

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/0...n-pride-month/

The problem I see with this is that we lose our tactical advantage if we wore pro-2A apparel when bad guys are around. The danger would be reduced if a group of pro-2A supporters were displaying pro-2A stuff. But, the author does make a couple of good points to further our cause.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” - Spock - Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country

Distinguished Member
    Writers write. That does not mean that writers have thought through what they have written. Writing is their income, and since I have written five books and at least 75 journal articles I can tell you that the pay is lousy unless you produce pot boilers like the Tom Clancy factory. So the author put words on paper. So what.

Nothing he wrote is born out in fact or near supporting evidence. The CDC report he sights is based upon faulty research based upon small surveys and major extrapolation of the results. That is why it was never published. If someone can show me evidence (other than that CDC report) that 2.5 million civilian defensive encounters occur each year, please do. I cannot find it.
    I have read research that estimates that as many as 100,000 civilian stops happen, but estimates are not fact. Facts win and speculation loses.

A month of recognition of us who support 2A and own/carry/use guns will accomplish nothing just like gay pride and black lives matter demonstrations never change anything. Falling into the trap of self promotion of one’s principles by public display is self destructive. The alternative is to have responsible gun owners speak out calmly, denounce gun owners who are irresponsible, accept the fact that all Constitutional Rights come from the approval of the Law and not from God, accept the fact that such Rights can be regulated if for not other reason than SCOTUS has so ruled.

You do not change minds of people by getting in their face. You do it by proving that your position is correct based upon evidence. I know that because I led advocacy operations at the federal and state level to protect Copyright rights (as Constitutional Rights) for 15 years. The several important factors in doing that were: 1) have a well thought out position, 2) have evidence to back up your position, 3) never get hostile or derogatory to your opponents, 4) agree to acceptable compromise to get gains but never to take losses, 5) have decided defined end game results before you start the contest.

In other words the author of the article had no idea how destructive his article actually is.
    wmhawth likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

I love the concept and wouldn’t have a problem supporting it, however, I wouldn’t do it openly just because I personally like to be “gray” when it comes to guns. Too many nut jobs walking around, not like it use to be. They seem to like to shoot people in Houston, somebody(s) killed in the street nightly. I’m invisible hopefully lol.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Why settle for gun pride month?

January- bump stock pride
    February-suppressor pride
    March-ar15 pride
    April- ghost gun pride

Etc....
    Sister, flh, Nifty and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    If someone can show me evidence (other than that CDC report) that 2.5 million civilian defensive encounters occur each year, please do. I cannot find it.
    The Kleck and Gertz study came up with 2.1 million, which is pretty close to the CDC. Two problems are 1) That LE doesn't keep stats on DGUs and 2) the definition of "DGU" used is not consistent among researchers and LE. The anti-gun researchers attempt to keep the numbers low by only counting documented situations where shots are fired to resolve an attempted violent crime. As John Lott's research indicates, probably 70-80% of DGUs don't require shots fired, only brandishing.
    1942bull likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The Kleck and Gertz study came up with 2.1 million, which is pretty close to the CDC. Two problems are 1) That LE doesn't keep stats on DGUs and 2) the definition of "DGU" used is not consistent among researchers and LE. The anti-gun researchers attempt to keep the numbers low by only counting documented situations where shots are fired to resolve an attempted violent crime. As John Lott's research indicates, probably 70-80% of DGUs don't require shots fired, only brandishing.
    Absolutely right. Inept methods betray us.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Want to promote gun ownership? Get people to write good stories/novels with GGWAG scenarios. Get people to produce good movies with a GGWAG scene in it. In my followup to my current actively being edited novel I have a scene in a convenience store where the plain clothes cop walks in on a robbery. When the BG turns to address the new addition, GGWAG shoots BG. Hope it gets published. Current novel has an 18yo woman at ready. Fortunately for the BG, the BG turns around without a shot being fired, and runs straight into the cops who have been instructed to go in silent, not lights. It's a hardened home. Hope this one sells too.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Or just OC on July 4. Have to see if Iowa is OC state.

BTW, just saw another OC in Wally World the other day. Noticed, then moved on. Wasn't a nice fancy SS model with chartreuse inlays. Just basic black semi-auto in a black leather holster.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Sponsored Links