Zero Turn Mowers - Page 2

Zero Turn Mowers

This is a discussion on Zero Turn Mowers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by scottync When I bpoght my 54" zero-turn, I was was mowing about 3.5 acres. Now its closer to 5 and growing. The ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Zero Turn Mowers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    When I bpoght my 54" zero-turn, I was was mowing about 3.5 acres. Now its closer to 5 and growing. The 54" takes too long. I'm considering an older farm tractor with a bush hog/finish mower.
    Scotty, spring for the finish mower. Youíll be happier I suspect. But they put more drag on the tractor than an equal sized bush hog so you canít over size it to the tractors capabilities. My finish mower is a 7 1/2í Befco that I bought used. Itís on the back of a 40 horse tractor and thatís about all the load I think it needs. I watch my gauges closely and change the fluids but still feel a little guilty at times. Itís a load.
    Rock and Glock and scottync like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Iím a fan of Walker Mowers-Hand crafted if Fort Collins, Colorado
    https://www.walker.com/models
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Might ask a couple of commercial landscapers/mowing services for an opinion. They work them hard! My old neighbor did that for a business, bought a Dixie Chopper Z/T mower and sold it quickly, saying it would never hold up to commercial use. I don't recall what brand he replaced the Chopper with.
    The guys who mow my lawn (part of HOA's dues) use a lot of Dixie Choppers.
    Kilowatt3 and 5lima30ret like this.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

N.R.A. Certified RSO

We mow 7+ acres and we had a FERRIS and traded it in for a diesel KUBOTA....both are good....just like the KUBOTA better.....very efficient and can generally do 2 1/2 mowings per refill.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Don't the teenagers usually bring their own mower when they mow the yard?
    Doghandler likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I used to bush hog the In-Laws' property whenever I was there. It always needed it. One day the water pump sprang a leak, so I parked the tractor in the barn and let them know about it.

They blamed me for the water pump seal failing. More likely it failed from lack of use and upkeep. I never bothered to offer to help them out again.

One of the sons lives there now. The tractor still sits in the overgrown, on the-verge-of-collapsing barn. I doubt it's worth using anymore. Too bad, it was a nice Ford tractor.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Cub Cadet is made by MTD. Husqvarna and Craftsman are AYP (American Yard Products). For zero turns The Bad Boys and Gravely's are great value for the money! When comparing brands look at weights! Weight is your friend in lawn equipment and compact tractors! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

We replaced our garden tractor mower last year with a Gravely 52" zero turn. I went with a Gravely because of the warranty on the drivetrain and also because the dealer told me they will sell push blades and other "hard on the drivetrain" attachments for the mower without voiding the warranty. What took us 3 hours to mow now takes a little over an hour and a half. One of the best time savers I've invested in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you are going to get one, you need to spend the money.

This helps nothing but I grew up with Yazoos. They are not made anymore. We had two riders going about 35 hours a week, for six years with minimal maintenance. We took them in once a year for "service". They were built like tanks, but simple. Forward and Reverse only. The only mod we did was disengage this safety petal that would kill the engine if you took your foot off. Going over bumps and stuff would shut the engine off, and we had to cut some really rough terrain. We could take the entire front deck (which was out front) down into the edge of ponds. We also has a John Deere, but it was going in the shop a few times a year.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Our building sight is just short of 15 acres with about half of that being mowed. I've had Toro Z-Master 52", Woods 2560 60", and an MTD built Cub Cadet 60" and also a 6ft Woods belly mower on an M Farmall for the real heavy mowing.

Of the three I like the Woods 2560 best. With the 25hp Kohler and hydraulic lift it is easy on the operator and fairly good on fuel.

The Toro has been a good runner, but is an older machine with the 18hp twin and is sometimes a little under powered. It is about the same comfort wise as the Woods except for the manual lift. It doesn't have as good of traction as the woods if the grass gets wet or for mowing ditches.

The Cub Cadet I let go after one year. Seemed like it was in the shop as much as it was mowing. Everything was covered under warranty, but I could see it wasn't going to stand up long term.

I looked at the John Deere's at Lowe's and wasn't really impressed. While much cheaper than the commercial line at a JD dealership, JD doesn't build the cheaper line themselves and it shows.
    Where the commercial line has bearings, the cheaper line has bushings. The whole machine is lighter and doesn't feel as solid as I would like.
    I like JD and most of my farm equipment is JD, but I won't recommend their inexpensive line of lawn equipment.

I don't have any experience with the Scag, so can't comment on how good it is, but like the shaft drive over the belt drive of the competition.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Which one has a drink holder and umbrella, thatís the one to pick
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Might ask a couple of commercial landscapers/mowing services for an opinion. They work them hard! My old neighbor did that for a business, bought a Dixie Chopper Z/T mower and sold it quickly, saying it would never hold up to commercial use. I don't recall what brand he replaced the Chopper with.
    I'd be careful about that. I have a close friend who ran a very successful landscaping company, sold it to a larger company for a good buy out and is now a business coach for landscapers.

He said one of the biggest mistakes big landscapers make is buying expensive equipment. It will get used by minimum wage employees and get the crap beat out of it. He recommends they buy the cheapest stuff that will work and get a relationship with a good repair shop, or have your own. He also said mowing is a part of the business with almost no margin. In fact, some landscapers lose money on mowing, just to keep the client relationship for more profitable services. It is definitely not where a landscaper should put their money.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I just replaced my 16yo JD 727 with a JD 930. The former had a 54Ē deck, the new one has a 60Ē. There was nothing wrong with the old one except it was as forgiving on the bones as riding a railroad tie. I got $2500 in resale in spite of it being a 2003 Model so thereís something to be said for green paint. The new one sports the absurdly expensive, adjustable seat and Tweels. The difference is night and day. Two hours of mowing with the old one and Iíd hobble from the barn to the house like a broke down hobo. Yesterday I mowed for quite awhile, definitely well more than two hours, and I walked upright, like a humanoid, after putting the mower under shelter. Iíd love to have the money back that I spent on it. My wife and I could have spent 10 days in Florence Italy for that money.....comfortably. But I donít have to dial 911 after mowing 2-3 acres, so Iím good.

Do you find the Tweels worth the extra cost?
    How is the traction and do they leave a similar foot print to the normal tires?

I used to have a Honey Locust tree on my place that killed tractor tires like mad....6-8" thorns. I finally chainsawed it down at the soil line and burned it. But having no flat tires front and back would be great, if for no other reason than not having to check pressure and top off before each mow.
    TSKnight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsI View Post
    https://www.mytractorforum.com is a good forum for tractor nerds. I used that to research buys and issues. Lot of knowledge there.
    Yeah, not finding anything related to ZTRs there.

The commercial mowing crew showed up this morning to mow the 10 acre place down the road from us. It had rained all day yesterday and into the night and the ground is like a wet sponge today, grass was soaking wet.
    So I drove down that way and sat out on the road and watched the two guys on the ZTRs for a bit. They weren't having a challenge at all. The grass looked to be about 6-8 inches and they were cutting it down to around 4 or 5...not a lot to cut off but it was pretty wet and blowing mist out of the discharge chutes. The lines were clean, no tire tracks, and the cut was fantastic, especially for the conditions. And they were moving at a good pace, I'd estimate approx 8-10 MPH.

So when they were done I chatted with the crew leader about their mowers. One was a 6 yr old Toro and the other an 18mo old Exmark. He said the Toro had been a great machine and in all that time they hadn't even had to replace a belt. But it had a lousy seat with no suspension and was a bit of a beating riding it all day. The Exmark was one of the higher end trim models with the weight adjustment seat suspension, which he liked, since he mowed on it all day every day. No issues with it at all in the 18 months of daily use.

There's features of both Toro and Exmark ( I think Toro is an Exmark product too) that I like but the Exmark machines are very pricey. The model he was using runs around $14K. OUCH.

My JD dealer (20 miles away) is having a Z740R transferred to his location so I can test drive it on Wed. And they have a grass lot next door where I can mow some lines. AFter all the rain we've had it'll be a good test of the rig.
    TSKnight likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links