Zero Turn Mowers - Page 3

Zero Turn Mowers

This is a discussion on Zero Turn Mowers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I bought my wife a Kubota zero turn.....she loves it! It has a commercial deck she cuts about 5 acres in 3-3 1/2 hours. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Zero Turn Mowers

VIP Member
    I bought my wife a Kubota zero turn.....she loves it! It has a commercial deck she cuts about 5 acres in 3-3 1/2 hours. I got her the gasoline version ZG about 6 years ago & it still runs great. I put new blades on every year & change oil & grease it. No issues at all.
    A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness is based on the character of the user -T Roosevelt

If you carry a gun, some will call you paranoid. If I carry, what do I have to be paranoid about? -C Smith

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. -J Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    Do you find the Tweels worth the extra cost?
    How is the traction and do they leave a similar foot print to the normal tires?

I used to have a Honey Locust tree on my place that killed tractor tires like mad....6-8" thorns. I finally chainsawed it down at the soil line and burned it. But having no flat tires front and back would be great, if for no other reason than not having to check pressure and top off before each mow.
    Iím absolutely onboard with the Tweels and would make the same decision again. The entire ride is different but after 2-3 mowings, itís the new norm. I think the only negative Iíve found is that the 180 turns, with the Tweels, is harder on the turf. Theyíll take a bit more of a divot than pneumatic. But w acres of farmland, I donít care and I donít see scalped sod from my last mowing so itís a non-issue. I added $850 for them but yep, Iíd do it again for the ride. Theyíre really helpful.

I was worried about just leaving them to sit, particularly through the winter months, because they relax. I worry about flat spots, so I thought I should block them off the ground. Nobody else does it..... They just crank it in the springtime and go.

My front wheels are filled so locust trees (not that Iíve got any thank God) wouldnít be a problem. Yeah pard, a locust will tear a man up in patching tires.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I bought my wife a Kubota zero turn.....she loves it! It has a commercial deck she cuts about 5 acres in 3-3 1/2 hours. I got her the gasoline version ZG about 6 years ago & it still runs great. I put new blades on every year & change oil & grease it. No issues at all.
    Should probably last another 15 years until you sell it and buy a nuddin. Good machine. If I didnít run green paint, Iíd run orange paint.
    Savage Heartland

I used to have a Honey Locust tree on my place that killed tractor tires like mad....6-8" thorns. I finally chainsawed it down at the soil line and burned it. But having no flat tires front and back would be great, if for no other reason than not having to check pressure and top off before each mow.
    I have a palm and a bougainvillea that have spines that punctured my mower tires a few times. I bought some "Green Slime," coated the insides of the tires with it, and haven't had a flat since.
    scottync likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yeah, not finding anything related to ZTRs there.
    https://www.mytractorforum.com/forum...turf-equipment
    MB53 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have a palm and a bougainvillea that have spines that punctured my mower tires a few times. I bought some "Green Slime," coated the insides of the tires with it, and haven't had a flat since.
    Thats how Ive handled mower tires as well.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Well, after spending a couple of days kicking tires, crawling under and all over several brands and models, checking out build details and owner maintenance features, test riding, and compiling a notebook of comparisons, costs, accessory options, and engine options;

I ended up with the John Deere Z740R-60" with Tweels, upgraded suspension seat (which is awesome BTW), tow hitch, and night mowing LED light kit.

I comparison shopped Scag, Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Bad Boy, and Deere. And the green machine won the day for me.
    It fits my needs exactly, filling a gap between residential and commercial mowers at a good price point, and leaning towards a commercial rig without going full on overboard. Plus I wanted to keep the weight around 1,000 Lbs, which it does, since some of those mowers top the scales at 1500-1600 without rider weight added.

Delivery is tomorrow, just in time since we've had two days of rain and the 3 acres outside is growing taller by the day!

Update:

The JD-Z740R was delivered today around 5:30pm. I started mowing with it at 6pm and finished at 7:10pm. What has been a 3 hour job to mow 3 acres took just over an hour!

No hiccups, no collisions, just one early in the saddle turning maneuver that went haywire but nothing damaged. It took 15-20 min to accomplish a smooth control and natural feel of the controls, circling tree rings and other landscape obstacles, and 'get it down'. After that it was smooth sailing. The trick, I found, is to not over steer, and get a mental grip on the brakes, which on this rig, are in the steering handles. There is no foot brake. It's all in the hands.

The suspension seat is awesome. When I was done I was able to walk upright (as someone else said in this thread) from the workshop to the house. And the tweels were worth every penny...not only is there no chance of getting a flat tire, there's no track marks, no tearing up the turf, great traction, and no problems on the incline areas.

With the old rig I'd still be out there in the heat with another hour + to go. But today I'm inside, all cleaned up, sippin' iced tea, and eating shrimp cocktail.

Next mow - 5 days away.

VIP Member
    Update:

The JD-Z740R was delivered today around 5:30pm. I started mowing with it at 6pm and finished at 7:10pm. What has been a 3 hour job to mow 3 acres took just over an hour!

No hiccups, no collisions, just one early in the saddle turning maneuver that went haywire but nothing damaged. It took 15-20 min to accomplish a smooth control and natural feel of the controls, circling tree rings and other landscape obstacles, and 'get it down'. After that it was smooth sailing. The trick, I found, is to not over steer, and get a mental grip on the brakes, which on this rig, are in the steering handles. There is no foot brake. It's all in the hands.

The suspension seat is awesome. When I was done I was able to walk upright (as someone else said in this thread) from the workshop to the house. And the tweels were worth every penny...not only is there no chance of getting a flat tire, there's no track marks, no tearing up the turf, great traction, and no problems on the incline areas.

With the old rig I'd still be out there in the heat with another hour + to go. But today I'm inside, all cleaned up, sippin' iced tea, and eating shrimp cocktail.

Next mow - 5 days away.
    Ah yep. It ainít free but it sure feels good.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Savage Heartland

Just finished adding LED floods to the front and rear of the new JD. Separate switching. It's almost time to start night mowing.
    THis thing lights up like an alien spacecraft now!
    TSKnight and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Just finished adding LED floods to the front and rear of the new JD. Separate switching. It's almost time to start night mowing.
    THis thing lights up like an alien spacecraft now!
    I love LED lights. Have been replacing OEM with LED for 3-4 years now. My only suggestion is buy quality because the cheaper ones work right up to when they don't. Most likely when you need it NOW!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I love LED lights. Have been replacing OEM with LED for 3-4 years now. My only suggestion is buy quality because the cheaper ones work right up to when they don't. Most likely when you need it NOW!
    I purchased the JD LED kit for the front. They look to be high quality lights, metal housing, and put out some serious light.
    The rear lights, 3.5" LED floods, came off of a fracking rig and were used to light up the control area. I did some night mowing last night and the rear lights do come in handy for backing up near obstacles like shrubberies, retaining walls, etc.
    TSKnight and 5lima30ret like this.

I purchased the JD LED kit for the front. They look to be high quality lights, metal housing, and put out some serious light.
    The rear lights, 3.5" LED floods, came off of a fracking rig and were used to light up the control area. I did some night mowing last night and the rear lights do come in handy for backing up near obstacles like shrubberies, retaining walls, etc.
    I'll bet that puts out a lot of fracking light!
    TSKnight and svgheartland like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links