Zero Turn Mowers

Zero Turn Mowers

This is a discussion on Zero Turn Mowers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We live on 3 acres in a rural area with a small lake on the backside of the property. Over the years we've done some ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Zero Turn Mowers

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar

Zero Turn Mowers

We live on 3 acres in a rural area with a small lake on the backside of the property.
    Over the years we've done some landscaping & added a pool & cabana, and and add'l detached 2 car garage sized workshop where all the property maintenance gear is kept. I still mow approx 2 1/2 acres. And this time of year it's twice a week. The mowing takes about 3 hours and if I add the weed trimming that's another hour.

So it's time to replace my 12 yr old garden tractor/54" mower and I've been looking at new mowing rigs. My plan has always been to go bigger, into a commercial type mower when the time came, since the "grass" out here is country junk grass that will grow 4 feet tall fast if it's not kept under control, so I'm looking at 60"-66" mowing decks on a zero turn mower. They have 72" decks but I've got a few places where a 72 is too wide to clear.

This past week I narrowed my search down to 3, all of which are available within 30 miles of me, and all in the same class and price range: Scagg Turf Tiger 2, Toro Z Master, and John Deer Z740R.
    The JD is new for 2019 so it hasn't had any years to establish itself although JD has decades of success.
    BTW: My first garden tractor/mower was a John Deere and I used it for 30 years before donating it to a local women's shelter. It still ran strong, still mowed strong, and I still had the bagger system and even the owners manual. It was just too small for the property we're on now.

SO: Scag, Toro, or Deere. IF anyone here has any experience with these mowers in this class please lend input. And for those who don't I'm not interested in other brands. After looking at the Scag last week, driving it around, and going all over it, under it, etc, it looks like a tough rig that will last longer than me.
    Just wondering if the Toro Z Master and the JD are worthy competitors. the JD is significantly lower in price but I'm not finding one in this area so it may be out of the running. Rider comforts are similar with some small differences, but they're each pretty much the same build level and same engine class.

Where the Scag has the advantage, IMHO, is with the shaft driven deck and the engine mounted so the drive train system is accessible from the rear instead of the bottom.

Thanks for any input.
    5lima30ret and Sister like this.

I have a toro s5000 from the timecutter line. Not to detract from your post. 50" 23 hp from home depot. All I can say is my sub $3000 mower runs great mows great and I could never imagine going back to a tractor now. If Toros higher end line run as good as their economy line I don't think you'd be diappointed. I mow close to 3 acres per week btw. As far as JD and Scag I know people who love them but no personal experience with them. As a side note most pro guys around here run Scag. Price would factor in some for me. Good luck.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Might ask a couple of commercial landscapers/mowing services for an opinion. They work them hard! My old neighbor did that for a business, bought a Dixie Chopper Z/T mower and sold it quickly, saying it would never hold up to commercial use. I don't recall what brand he replaced the Chopper with.
    msgt/ret, bigmacque and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    I have a toro s5000 from the timecutter line. Not to detract from your post. 50" 23 hp from home depot. All I can say is my sub $3000 mower runs great mows great and I could never imagine going back to a tractor now. If Toros higher end line run as good as their economy line I don't think you'd be diappointed. I mow close to 3 acres per week btw. As far as JD and Scag I know people who love them but no personal experience with them. As a side note most pro guys around here run Scag. Price would factor in some for me. Good luck.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    +1

I have a friend who is a golf course superintendent and he runs Toro. Heck, even the sprinkler system is Toro.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Dont forget to look at the new Cub Kadet ZT1, its quite awesome on my 4 acres. Got the 50" with the kawasaki

I have a Freedom 48 by Scag. I have had no problems with it and have it about Six years. I have 8.55 acres and mow about 7 acres. My old mower was a lawn tractor and it took me about 10 hours to mow all of it. With the zero turn mower I can do it in about 4 hours. I see no need in having a 60 zero turn to mow 2.5 acres. Ask the cutting rate for each one.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

You guys are making my 40" Murray feel bad.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

https://www.mytractorforum.com is a good forum for tractor nerds. I used that to research buys and issues. Lot of knowledge there.

A lot of the lower end Deere stuff is cheap relabeled junk made by somebody else (Murray, etc.), Their top end stuff is superb, but from your description Im suspicious.
    Geezer and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Here aloft, we are not lost, but found".

Ernest K. Gann

Cheap relabled junk is a state of being on wall street.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

I can't say anything about modern mowers because I'm using a 25 year old John Deere that's never needed any maintenance beyond the routine oil, filters, belts and blades.
    scottync likes this.

I mow 10 acres, mostly with a tractor, but around the house and barns I still use john deer mowers - both 100 series non-commercial stuff. My neighbor mows his 10 acres in half the time it takes me - uses Kabota zero turn. he likes the durability. For your desires, I'd vote John Deere.
    scottync likes this.

When I bpoght my 54" zero-turn, I was was mowing about 3.5 acres. Now its closer to 5 and growing. The 54" takes too long. I'm considering an older farm tractor with a bush hog/finish mower.

VIP Member
    I just replaced my 16yo JD 727 with a JD 930. The former had a 54 deck, the new one has a 60. There was nothing wrong with the old one except it was as forgiving on the bones as riding a railroad tie. I got $2500 in resale in spite of it being a 2003 Model so theres something to be said for green paint. The new one sports the absurdly expensive, adjustable seat and Tweels. The difference is night and day. Two hours of mowing with the old one and Id hobble from the barn to the house like a broke down hobo. Yesterday I mowed for quite awhile, definitely well more than two hours, and I walked upright, like a humanoid, after putting the mower under shelter. Id love to have the money back that I spent on it. My wife and I could have spent 10 days in Florence Italy for that money.....comfortably. But I dont have to dial 911 after mowing 2-3 acres, so Im good.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links