Fire in the Superstitions - Page 3

Fire in the Superstitions

This is a discussion on Fire in the Superstitions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Militant Being a cat that has been born and raised here on the East Coast, I'd never heard of the Superstitious Mountains ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: Fire in the Superstitions

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Being a cat that has been born and raised here on the East Coast, I'd never heard of the Superstitious Mountains until your post. I had to google it! That fire is no joke! Wow! Stay safe out there brother and hopefully, law enforcement will catch the foolish people that set that fire.
    If you ever heard of the Lost Dutchman Mine, that's one of the notables in the Superstitions.
    msgt/ret, AzQkr, SatCong and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Looks like the Flatiron just right of center.

For the aviators here, one of the neat things is the aircraft used to drop fire retardants. The honkin' big DC-10 gets all the photographic news attention, but they're also using an MD-87 and at least one BAe146. The latter holds a lot of interest for me. It's a 75-80 seat regional jet, with 4 engines, a high wing and nearly STOL capability - ideal for fields with short and even moderately unimproved runways. Pilots say it handles like a turboprop, capable of flying relatively "low and slow." Airlines don't want 4-engine planes and 80 seats isn't profitable enough. Thus a lot of 146s are available for re-purposing, and the air tanker role is an excellent fit. The engines are 7000 lb thrust Lycoming LF-507s. That's my connection - I worked for Lycoming until they were bought by AlliedSignal, today's Honeywell. Some of my career highlights include nearly 40 hours flying jumpseat in the cockpit of 146s in New Zealand and Switzerland, chasing down some off engine vibration problems. With the wiring mods and instrumentation required, I got to know the ship pretty well, and I was thrilled to see the 146 in action locally.
    Yup, that's the flatiron. Those planes must be at Mesa gateway
    gasmitty, OD* and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you ever heard of the Lost Dutchman Mine, that's one of the notables in the Superstitions.
    Never heard of it either. Just read up on it though. Google is a wonderful thing.
    OD*, AzQkr and msgt/ret like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

So the fire damaged a lot of square miles, and now the monsoons two weeks ago have left many SR dirt roads closed to traffic.

One of my favorite routes is Rte 88 from Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt lake. Here's some of the damage to the road, they have no idea when it will reopen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire in the Superstitions-apache-trail-damage.jpg  

Fire in the Superstitions-apache-trail-damage2.jpg  

Another of the damage. Lewis and Pranty creek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire in the Superstitions-lewis-pranty-creek.jpg  

msgt/ret, graydude and airslot like this.

Vivid pics of this terrible fire. I hope it can be contained before any more structures are threatened. Stay safe my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    Vivid pics of this terrible fire. I hope it can be contained before any more structures are threatened. Stay safe my friend.
    Fire has been out for some time now, reconstruction of roads and now this monsoon damage of SR's will have quite an effect on local riding and hiking.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Wildland fire followed by flash floods is a terrible combination.

Hopefully new growth sprouts soon to help limit more erosion.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Fire damage to Manzanita and ironwood's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire in the Superstitions-burn-area.jpg  

msgt/ret likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links