Why your Lab may be a pig - Page 3

Why your Lab may be a pig

This is a discussion on Why your Lab may be a pig within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by rlggray My GSD is a slow and fairly picky eater. I have had a couple of black labs in the past and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Why your Lab may be a pig

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    My GSD is a slow and fairly picky eater. I have had a couple of black labs in the past and they were both like garbage disposals on 4 legs. Like they were in a hot dog eating contest with Joey Chestnut.
    Same experience here. Our family dogs are GSD's. Own 2 at the moment. We also raise/train Lab puppies to become seeing eye dogs for Leader Dog's for the Blind. HUGE difference in how they eat. The Lab's would wait until we said it was okay to eat, but drooled badly if you make them wait too long. And they never put a bite mark in a piece of kibble. We bought some "fun feeders" from Amazon to slow them down, and they work great for that. GSD's eat at a much more relaxed pace, and often leave food in their bowls. The Lab's we've had NEVER leave food behind.

Turned our latest guide dog trainee back in on Friday after having her for 11 months. Always the hardest part of training them.

Why your Lab may be a pig-zionflowergarden060719.jpg

GSD Loki has always only eaten if he was hungry and would walk away from food; the Bulldogs I've owned would do no such thing.
    I worried about Loki not eating, so I enhanced his food with cooked chicken, if he wasn't hungry he wouldn't eat chicken either.
    When I got Duke, I got him a food bowl and put it in a different room than Loki's bowl, same food; Loki at 14 months still gets puppy food.
    Like magic, the same exact food was more desirable to Loki if it was in Duke's bowl.
    I don't worry about Loki eating anymore, food is left out in that one bowl all the time, Loki and Duke eat when hungry, quit when full.
    I'm a bit surprised that the Bullmastiff pup doesn't overeat, expected him to eat like a Bulldog not a GSD
    Bulldog Max doesn't eat Duke & Loki's food (left out available all the time) because he knows its not his, that is trained.
    Mr. Picky Eater:
    Why your Lab may be a pig-lokibandana.jpg
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I love camping with Pappy...The scraps are endless!!.........

Attachment 296894
    just beautiful! One day in the future I’d like another black lab, miss Daisy daily.
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

My daughter came down from Austin a couple of weeks ago and brought her little dog. When it came time to feed them that first night, I gave my GSD his usual canned food mixed up with some kibble in his bowl, and she gave her dog her food in her own bowl. Well the little dog decided she wanted to try Gunner's food. Gunner being the little gentleman he is, let the little dog eat first. He just sat there and waited till she was done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why your Lab may be a pig-screenshot_20190623-205133_gallery_1561341747862.jpg  

Why your Lab may be a pig-screenshot_20190623-204901_gallery_1561341769456.jpg  

Senior Moderator
    Our youngest is a four year old half-lab that eats twice as fast as the other two dogs. Like a high powered vacuum. She was born in a litter of 12, and the rescue that had the dame and the pups pulled the dame at six weeks. They got the dame spayed and adopted without regard to the pups.

When she is quiet, sleepy, or wanting to comfort herself, she pulls a corner of her blanket into her mouth and nurses on it. That is really tragic, and avoidable. Other than that, she is super well adjusted. Just pathetic looking at times.

Yea, but she is like a vacuum.

We also keep our dogs at “perfect” weights to improve their mortality and morbidity. It is the least we can do to repay the love.
    msgt/ret, BamaT, CDW4ME and 2 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Turned our latest guide dog trainee back in on Friday after having her for 11 months. Always the hardest part of training them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZionFlowerGarden060719.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	297084
    I totally understand that, sending our fosters on to forever homes after we’ve had them for several weeks or months is always hard. Typically the rescue dogs we get are hearnworm positive, so we see them through treatment, as well as other health issues and neutering.

We currently have a female foster lab about 7 years old; she has had 5 litters that we know of, was kept chained, was heart worm positive. She is the sweetest most loving dog, and never has an accident indoors. Prior to heartworm treatmemt, we took her to a lake to swim with our lab Gunner. We had to coax her into the water, and it became evident she did not know how to swim, fighting the water rather than making smooth strokes; but after watching our Gunner swim, she soon got the hang of it and now loves swimming, as well as chasing balls. I’m quite certain she has had more fun and loving in her few weeks with us than in her previous 7 years. It will be really hard to see her go.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^
    Sister and OldChap like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Have had several and yes they LOVE food and what they don't eat first that weapon of a tail will clean off of a table. Then they mop up quickly.
    One we had loved to pick cantalope and watermelons out of the garden and run around the yard with head held high, snorting like mad and juice running.
    He was so happy and showed it.

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Have had several and yes they LOVE food and what they don't eat first that weapon of a tail will clean off of a table. Then they mop up quickly.
    One we had loved to pick cantalope and watermelons out of the garden and run around the yard with head held high, snorting like mad and juice running.
    LOL, tail weapon is about right. It sometimes seems like those tails weigh 10 pounds! We’ve had numerous table sweepings through the years. I’ve also been the recipient of a few well placed tail wags that did NOT feel good!
    NRA Life Member

Thought that was just a defining characteristic of a lab...

Sharpie inhales her food. I was considering the smaller bits, but worried she might choke on them. At least the big one, she chews.

She is a good pup. Has the same birthday as my girlfriend’s daughter... she will be 7, Sharpie 2.

Those Lab tails are also famous for fanning farts in bed also...WOW!!!
    Rock and Glock, OldChap and BamaT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Those Lab tails are also famous for fanning farts in bed also...WOW!!!
    I owned 3 Bulldogs prior to Max, all of them were very flatulent; I fed them Kibbles & Bits, Alpo, ect...
    When Max was year old I learned about preservative BHA in dog food linked to cancer, BHA was listed in the food ^ I was feeding Max.
    Eating same food, one of those prior Bulldog died at age 10 of skin cancer (still old for a Bulldog), one died at age 6 - lymphoma (that aint right).
    I informed myself about dog food and selected a grain free dry food with meat products as the 1st & 2nd ingredients (dog food advisor).
    Despite that Max snarfs down food whole (just like all the prior Bulldogs) he is rarely flatulent.
    Loki & Duke get large breed puppy food meeting the same criteria; Loki is rarely to never gassy, Duke is but its indicative he needs to go out.
    Just like with people, certain foods can cause flatulence, it may be worth trying a different dog food if a dog is frequently gassy.
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    Thought that was just a defining characteristic of a lab...

Sharpie inhales her food. I was considering the smaller bits, but worried she might choke on them. At least the big one, she chews.

She is a good pup. Has the same birthday as my girlfriend’s daughter... she will be 7, Sharpie 2.
    My biggest take on the defining characteristics of Lab's is LOVE they always have so much devotion, joy and love that is infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I owned 3 Bulldogs prior to Max, all of them were very flatulent; I fed them Kibbles & Bits, Alpo, ect...
    When Max was year old I learned about preservative BHA in dog food linked to cancer, BHA was listed in the food ^ I was feeding Max.
    Eating same food, one of those prior Bulldog died at age 10 of skin cancer (still old for a Bulldog), one died at age 6 - lymphoma (that aint right).
    I informed myself about dog food and selected a grain free dry food with meat products as the 1st & 2nd ingredients (dog food advisor).
    Despite that Max snarfs down food whole (just like all the prior Bulldogs) he is rarely flatulent.
    Loki & Duke get large breed puppy food meeting the same criteria; Loki is rarely to never gassy, Duke is but its indicative he needs to go out.
    Just like with people, certain foods can cause flatulence, it may be worth trying a different dog food if a dog is frequently gassy.
    Sampson don't rip em that often...But when he does it is bad....If i call him on it he wags the tail even more...LOL
    BamaT likes this.

My biggest take on the defining characteristics of Lab's is LOVE they always have so much devotion, joy and love that is infectious.
    they never have a bad day

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links