Multiple motorcycles collide with pickup truck: 7 dead, 3 injured, mostly ex-Marines

Multiple motorcycles collide with pickup truck: 7 dead, 3 injured, mostly ex-Marines

This is a discussion on Multiple motorcycles collide with pickup truck: 7 dead, 3 injured, mostly ex-Marines within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just thought folks here might be interested if you haven't seen this story already. RANDOLPH, N.H. (AP) State police have confirmed that seven people ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Multiple motorcycles collide with pickup truck: 7 dead, 3 injured, mostly ex-Marines

I just thought folks here might be interested if you haven't seen this story already.

RANDOLPH, N.H. (AP) State police have confirmed that seven people have died in a crash in New Hampshire between a truck and several motorcycles on Route 2. This happened yesterday evening. Another article said they were mostly ex-Marines with the same motorcycle club who were in the area for a motorcycle rally.

https://www.apnews.com/0cff0b8390d14efeac21e756bb1fa9f9
    AzQkr and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

My God, that is just awful. Horrific. And terribly sad.
    OldChap, alsaqr, airslot and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    That IS horrific, those poor family's.
    OldChap likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Horrible!

I also notice that the report says the truck collided with the bikes, as opposed to what the heading states. I find it interesting the pickup was pulling a trailer. I can easily see such a rig pulling into a group of bikers and taking out a bunch of bikes all at once, with nowhere for them to escape, even if riding staggered. I was involved with a similar situation last weekend that could have dropped a number of us at once. Two ex-members were hotdogging it past us when someone slowed down in the driving lane (ignoring the purpose of the left turn lane) and the two ex-members took opposite sides of this bad driver. The one that came round the right at the last minute came very close to taking out the lead bike. It would have taken out a bunch of us. I was in the back on the right, so I slipped over to the right turn lane.
    OldChap and Pete63 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Before any dander gets raised, there is no such thing as an "ex-Marine".

I gather that since there were fewer bikes than fatalities and injuries, that a few were carrying both husband / wife or girlfriend. Tragic
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My God: This is so devastating. The NTSB is investigating along with NH police.

The driver of the pickup and trailer went left of center and hit numerous motorcycles.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-ham...ad-2019-06-22/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/7-...kmF?li=BBnb2gh

I'll never understand why some groups ride so close together. The small group I ride with keeps 3-4 hundred feet between bikes. There were ten bikes taken out in this crash. If they had kept just a 250 ft. margin between bikes they would have only lost 1-2 riders, not the entire group.
    OldChap likes this.

flh
    I've been following this tragically with the various new outlets awaiting more information as to what happened...

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

I read in the news today that the truck driver only sustained minor injuries. I'm betting he has some big legal problems ahead, as well he should.

I gotta say, I don't like group rides and this is one of the reasons. If some cager is going to do something stupid, I want all my options open and not have to worry about other bikes around me. I also assume every cager IS going to do something stupid. It is easy to get lulled into that sense that everyone else is going to do the right thing. In a car, the risk is an insurance claim. On a bike, the stakes are higher.

I'm actually thinking about selling my bike, partially because of stories like this.
    flh, AzQkr, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Update

Pickup driver has been arrested and charged with 7 counts of homicide.

Pickup truck driver arrested following New Hampshire highway collision that left 7 motorcyclists dead

The driver said to be behind the wheel of a pickup truck that collided with seven bikers in New Hampshire on Friday – killing all of them – has been arrested at his home Monday in Massachusetts.

Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, is now facing seven counts of negligent homicide after being taken into custody this morning in West Springfield, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office announced.

The crash unfolded at around 6:30 p.m. Friday on U.S. 2, a two-lane highway that passes through the small town just north of Mount Washington. Witnesses described a "devastating" scene as bystanders tried to help the injured amid shattered motorcycles.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/pickup-tr...rcyclists-dead
    PhaedrusIV, flh, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Negligent homicide is a different animal than any kind of murder or manslaughter charge. This is a pretty fair summation of the burden of proof on the state and reasonable defenses:

https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/...t-homicide.htm

It is always hard to make a judgement without seeing the evidence and, more importantly in a traffic accident, all the circumstances. I have often concluded that a pickup pulling a 45 or 50 foot float is a dangerous combination. The trailer often outweighs the towing vehicle by a substantial margin. Makes it difficult to brake or maneuver and places a premium on driver skill.

Just a terrible situation all around. Prayers for all the families involved.
    airslot likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Pickup driver has been arrested and charged with 7 counts of homicide.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pickup-tr...rcyclists-dead
    That's great, Gene. Unfortunately, it won't do a damn thing for those grievously injured and dead, nor for their families.

Without the support of any real facts, my sense all along has been that the crash had to have resulted from either an intentional act, on the part of the truck driver, or gross negligence, inattention, or alcohol/drug involvement, again, by the truck driver.

I now believe I see some support for that point of view.
    msgt/ret, Pete63, airslot and 2 others like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I read in the news today that the truck driver only sustained minor injuries. I'm betting he has some big legal problems ahead, as well he should.

I gotta say, I don't like group rides and this is one of the reasons. If some cager is going to do something stupid, I want all my options open and not have to worry about other bikes around me. I also assume every cager IS going to do something stupid. It is easy to get lulled into that sense that everyone else is going to do the right thing. In a car, the risk is an insurance claim. On a bike, the stakes are higher.

I'm actually thinking about selling my bike, partially because of stories like this.
    Wanna bet how many were wearing ATGATT and not just dungarees, T's and leather vests? You and I wear ATGATT religiously, we'd have likely fared much better than these people in the crash.

I saw my first fatality on a bike in 1969 when a senior in HS. Riding in front of me, he lost control and not wearing a helmet, head injury resulted in his death.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Wanna bet how many were wearing ATGATT and not just dungarees, T's and leather vests? You and I wear ATGATT religiously, we'd have likely fared much better than these people in the crash.
    Not to mention the air bag vests. I agree, but still, if we were driving along and an oncoming pickup truck and flatbed trailer swerved into us and we couldn't avoid it, well, physics is physics, and it may not have made any difference.

When I was a teenager, my sister was following a biker and saw him crash. As it happened, he was a St. Louis Blues pro hockey player and he lived in our neighborhood. When my sister and her boyfriend got to him, he was conscious, but his leg was sheared off. They tried to render first aid, but he died as they were working on him. I also read about an accident where the biker was ATGATT and crashed on a mountain road and the impact took his head clean off, still inside his intact full face helmet. There is no motorcycle safety gear that can make a difference in some accidents.
    PhaedrusIV, Pete63, AzQkr and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Not to mention the air bag vests. I agree, but still, if we were driving along and an oncoming pickup truck and flatbed trailer swerved into us and we couldn't avoid it, well, physics is physics, and it may not have made any difference.

When I was a teenager, my sister was following a biker and saw him crash. As it happened, he was a St. Louis Blues pro hockey player and he lived in our neighborhood. When my sister and her boyfriend got to him, he was conscious, but his leg was sheared off. They tried to render first aid, but he died as they were working on him. I also read about an accident where the biker was ATGATT and crashed on a mountain road and the impact took his head clean off, still inside his intact full face helmet. There is no motorcycle safety gear that can make a difference in some accidents.
    Precisely.
    OD*, airslot and OldChap like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links