Cigar aficionados? - Page 2

Cigar aficionados?

This is a discussion on Cigar aficionados? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any self-respecting cigar smoker that visits the Tampa area has to spend an evening or two in the cigar shops of Ybor City....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Cigar aficionados?

Any self-respecting cigar smoker that visits the Tampa area has to spend an evening or two in the cigar shops of Ybor City.

Roma Craft is a great cigar company. They cover mild to full flavor full body. Fable and Guaimaro are also great cigar brands. They are Nicaraguan cigars - similar to the Padrón line 2000, 3000 etc but kind
    of on steroids.

Smoked my last cigarette in 96, but enjoy my cigars - probably too much for my own good. As I write this I am sitting outside on the deck working, drinking coffee and smoking a Perdomo 20th Anniversary robusto

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I’m partial to Honduran or Nicaraguan as I believe they have a better flavor, very close to Cuban tobacco. I stay away from Dom Rep cigars, have a harsh taste IMO.

Rocky Patel, CAO are two of my favorites. I also like the larger ring sizes as they have a better blend of tobaccos, gives a much better flavor profile.
    I was partial to the Jamaican and Mexican blends while we were in Oregon and Washington State, found some of the hybrids lacking though.

Great thread!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

flh
    I'm not a smoker but right cigar smell will bring me back to great times with my grandfather

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I'm a big cigar smoker and I used to do cigar reviews for Smoke magazine. There are cigars of different strengths, sizes, prices, etc. Right now the prices for cigars have gone up and some are over priced because of their brand name, not their quality. My favorite cigar is Licenciados in Churchill size ( 6.75"-7" long with a 48-50 ring ). It's hand made in the Dominican Republic and received a rating of 93 from Cigar Aficionado magazine. It's a mild-medium, creamy cigar that's not too strong and you can buy a box of 25 Churchills for about $105 from Mikescigars.com. It's a great deal ( $4 each ) and I have recommended them to all of my friends for years and so far, everybody has loved them.---Sturgis
    flintlock62, Jerald and MMinSC like this.
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I used to smoke cigarettes long ago. I also smoked the pipe and an occasional fine cigar. In order to give up the cigs, I was forced to give up everything. Well, it's been about 14 years now I'm cigarette free, I even hate the smell of them anymore. Well, I was in the company of a person whom was smoking a good cigar and mentioned it was probably a good quality smoke. He gave me a Cohiba Nicaragua and I smoked it that night after supper. I decided I'm 66 years old, and I will enjoy the rest of my life. I don't consider it the same as cigs because I don't inhale. I did a little google fu and came up with Oliva serie V Melanio Torpedo's . I also bought some Padons, and a few Macanudo Inesperados. As far as the pipe goes, I have some now 'vintage' tins from as early as 2002. I cleaned my pipes and tried a few bowls. I missed the experience.

Anyone here smoke good cigars or a bowl of quality pipe tobacco? Tell me your favorite.
    I smoked cigg's in my youth. Quit when my son was born, so some 36 years ago. Have gotten into cigars the last year or so, usually enjoy one a day. I'm still trying lots of different smokes, but starting to tire of that. I have my top 5 list, and I am sticking more and more to it. Seems like the cigar world is kind of like the craft beer world. Used to be only a few years ago. Now you go in the store and there are 75 brands of craft beers, most of which I don't care for. I do find Cigar Aficionado's ratings to be helpful, and their top rated yearly cigars are always a good bet.

Cigars I really like:
    EP Carrillo Encore and La Historia
    Oliva V Melanio
    Rocky Patel Decade
    JFR Lunatic short robusto natural

Holt's has good "flash" sales. I got the Melanio's for $5 a stick delivered a couple of weeks ago. Stocked up. La Historia's were $5.50 a stick in that one day sale, so got more of those too.

Another good site for deals is Best Cigar Prices. You usually have to buy 2 boxes to get the good pricing, but it's a huge savings over just buying one box.

Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    I smoked cigg's in my youth. Quit when my son was born, so some 36 years ago. Have gotten into cigars the last year or so, usually enjoy one a day. I'm still trying lots of different smokes, but starting to tire of that. I have my top 5 list, and I am sticking more and more to it. Seems like the cigar world is kind of like the craft beer world. Used to be only a few years ago. Now you go in the store and there are 75 brands of craft beers, most of which I don't care for. I do find Cigar Aficionado's ratings to be helpful, and their top rated yearly cigars are always a good bet.

Cigars I really like:
    EP Carrillo Encore and La Historia
    Oliva V Melanio
    Rocky Patel Decade
    JFR Lunatic short robusto natural

Holt's has good "flash" sales. I got the Melanio's for $5 a stick delivered a couple of weeks ago. Stocked up. La Historia's were $5.50 a stick in that one day sale, so got more of those too.

Another good site for deals is Best Cigar Prices. You usually have to buy 2 boxes to get the good pricing, but it's a huge savings over just buying one box.
    Thanks for mentioning Holts. I just ordered some Rocky Patel Renaissance Habano Torpedos, and CAO Flat Heads. I bought some Oliva V Melanio from Pipe and Cigars, but I'll wait for that great price you mentioned on the flash sale before I buy anymore. The Melonio Is the best cigar I ever remember smoking, but too expensive on my budget to smoke often.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Gonna crank up an Oliva on the back porch tonite.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jerald View Post
    I smoked cigars for 45yrs until the doctor said I needed to stop before he put in my stints, one of my favorite was,Montecristo #2
    One of my all-time favorites. My boss in the Bahama kept a humidor full. I smoked his regularly. Sitting outside looking at the water with a M-#2 and a glass of anejo rum is one of life's great pleasures.
    Instymp likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

My dad owned a cigar store for years when I was younger. I helped out part time so I had to know all of them. I hung out there a lot too. It was a great place to sit and have a whiskey while watching Friday Night Fights or Tuesday Night Fights. Summertime we were open until 11pm or so with a pretty good crowd coming in. The pay was pretty terrible but I smoked probably 5 cigars per shift.

I have always like the full bodied ones with the Hoya Excalibur being my steady smoke for years now. I like them aged though. Being a fermented product the tobacco will change flavor as it ages. Really blends the different tobaccos of the wrapper, binder and filler together and smooths out the flavor. They will mellow with age so I mostly only age the full body ones. Aging cigars is fun to see how the flavors change. It takes a little planning and is best to age them in the box so you need a humidor with the capacity to stack boxes. This also works for improving less expensive cigars to save a little money on daily smokers. Something that you like and is a very good price, but maybe is a little rough will mellow a lot in time. Even cigars that I do not intend to age, get at least a few months. Cigars SHOULD be a little aged when they leave the factory but when cigars are popular, that can be skipped to fulfill demand.

I do also enjoy the mostly milder bodied Dominican cigars. AVO is a favorite, very buttery and toasty.
    Instymp likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Thanks for mentioning Holts. I just ordered some Rocky Patel Renaissance Habano Torpedos, and CAO Flat Heads. I bought some Oliva V Melanio from Pipe and Cigars, but I'll wait for that great price you mentioned on the flash sale before I buy anymore. The Melonio Is the best cigar I ever remember smoking, but too expensive on my budget to smoke often.
    Here you go. Only goes for 24 hours, though. Robusto size only, which is what I normally smoke. Tempting to get some more. BTW, they are really boxed nicely. Lots of Spanish cedar, and even a Bodega pack under the floor. You have to pull the box apart a bit to find it, but pretty cool, IMO.
    https://www.holts.com/specials/1-day...robusto-2.html

Pipe smoker here, but an occasional cigar too. Mostly during hunting season.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

When I did smoke cigars I would occasionally enjoy some good Cubans when I could get them. I think my favorite was the Bolivar Tubos #1. The Cohibas were also good.
    My go to were Arturo Fuente 8-5-8s. They were $110-$125 a box back then. Don't know what they go for today.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links