What is your pain tolerance like? - Page 3

What is your pain tolerance like?

This is a discussion on What is your pain tolerance like? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jmf552 About four years ago, I had a total left knee replacement. The pain experience was interesting. They gave me Oxycodone, which ...

View Poll Results: What is your pain tolerance like?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • What is this pain of which you speak?

9 14.52%
  • I only get little twinges now and then when I hurt myself.

5 8.06%
  • When I experience pain I can handle it without being unduly comfortable.

18 29.03%
  • Pain is weakness leaving the body.

9 14.52%
  • I can only tolerate so much pain before I cry uncle.

7 11.29%
  • Any significant amount of pain is difficult for me to handle.

3 4.84%
  • I have zero tolerance for pain.

1 1.61%
  • Other?

10 16.13%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: What is your pain tolerance like?

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    About four years ago, I had a total left knee replacement. The pain experience was interesting. They gave me Oxycodone, which I hated. It made my skin crawl. I felt like I had ants all over me. I preferred the pain, so I stopped taking it. How anyone can get addicted to Oxy I can't understand. The pain that "broke" me was the damned physical therapy. My therapist seem to be getting paid by how many degrees of flexion she could get my knee, and how much pain she could cause. She could have gotten me to confess to the Lindbergh kidnapping!!!

So my answer is a resounding, "It depends."
    I didn't really need to read this as I prepare for double one replacement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I had two veins in my left leg collapsed( intentionally) in the last two months. On both occasions, I turned down the anesthesia much to the chagrin of the nurses. Fourteen shots of Novocain from calf to groin followed by catheter insertion. Catheter emits RF to generate heat which collapses the vein as its withdrawn.
    I could not do that.
    airslot likes this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. After, I didn't take any pain meds, and went back to work. I wouldn't put my arm in a sling. But I was careful not to use it until I had clearance. About twelve years ago I was about to go on duty and had a wisdom tooth bothering me. I decided to pull it with a pair of pliers while my nerse girlfriend watched in horror. I got the tooth out, rinsed my mouth out with listerine and went into work, no problem. I was told I was nuts.
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    airslot likes this.

I had a molar pulled without Novocain when I was a kid because I was more afraid of the needle than pulling the tooth. I really, really hate it when I am going to have some procedure and walk into the room and syringes are laid out in preparation. I'll tell the nurse to cover them.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had a molar pulled without Novocain when I was a kid because I was more afraid of the needle than pulling the tooth. I really, really hate it when I am going to have some procedure and walk into the room and syringes are laid out in preparation. I'll tell the nurse to cover them.
    I am right there with you. I did have a dental procedure the week before to replace an old filling that was deteriorating. I have a great dentist and nurse and have to say it was practically pain free. But, I had them use topical, an injection, and nitrous. I am a wimp in the pain department.

I will spill every secret I ever knew if the torturer had a dental degree. I have never made it through Marathon Man past the dental scene.
    G26Raven and Rockymonster like this.

I handle pain well enough when it happens, it's the cowardice in me anticipating the pain event that hurts. As the saying goes: "The coward dies a thousand deaths". That's me anticipating pain. In 2003 when The doctors told me they were going to insert a catheter up my urethra I was sick with fear. The actual event wasn't all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I handle pain well enough when it happens, it's the cowardice in me anticipating the pain event that hurts. As the saying goes: "The coward dies a thousand deaths". That's me anticipating pain. In 2003 when The doctors told me they were going to insert a catheter up my urethra I was sick with fear. The actual event wasn't all that bad.
    My experience was somewhat different; Iíd swear that catheter was the size of a 2X4. Never again, knock me out first.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I didn't really need to read this as I prepare for double one replacement.
    Well, actually it might be good for you to read it. BTW, I told my story to a physical therapist I saw recently for another problem. She said my knee replacement experience is pretty common.

It's completely up to you and your doctor, of course, but personally I wouldn't do two knees at once, unless there is no other option. With a single, that un-operated leg is your best friend in the world. The knee I didn't have operated on actually looked worse on X-rays, but I wasn't getting that much pain off of it, so I decided to do only one. I'm still going strong on the one that wasn't replaced four years later. It may need to be replaced at some point, but if it does, I'll be glad I waited for the other one to completely heal.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    " Please, no graphic descriptions, or photos, about bad experiences you have had. I also have a weak stomach!"

What, no pics of my glass eye? Wanna see some other scar pics? Huh? Huh?
    I want to see it! DR

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    What, no pics of my glass eye?
    Only if you can pop it out for the pic.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I can handle accidentally cutting myself with a knife pain, or burning my hand on a hot pot pain, or getting stung by a wasp pain, but not hitting my thumb with a hammer pain.
    G26Raven, airslot and msgt/ret like this.

I'm pretty pain tolerant. It's not that I don't feel it, I just refuse to let it get in my way of getting things done. DR
    G26Raven, airslot and msgt/ret like this.

I can only stand so much pain before I cry uncle. But then I've also pulled 2 of my own teeth with pliers (had to do a bit of twisting before they came out) and routinely use an injection for ED. Yep, that is where that needle goes. And yep, I do it myself.
    Last edited by Bikenut; July 1st, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
    Old Man likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

I will spill every secret I ever knew if the torturer had a dental degree. I have never made it through Marathon Man past the dental scene.
    Is it safe?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links