New group forming to call for NRA reorganization

This is a discussion on New group forming to call for NRA reorganization within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Those who are interested in becoming involved in an effort to force reorganization of the NRA ought to read this open letter to the NRA. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: New group forming to call for NRA reorganization

Distinguished Member

Those who are interested in becoming involved in an effort to force reorganization of the NRA ought to read this open letter to the NRA. It calls for major changes and is attempting to organize members to force changes.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/ope...#axzz5tN6At8EF
    airslot, Taxman, DZUS and 4 others like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Well then. We shall see who’s dollar has the most clout with the organization.

The people or the industry.
    1942bull and airslot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I did not send in my renewal membership and was actually sending in a life membership. I was waiting to see where all this ended up.
    Sister and Old Man like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I signed the petition indicating I would be withholding my membership until changes are made.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    I did not send in my renewal membership and was actually sending in a life membership. I was waiting to see where all this ended up.
    With respect and good intentions I think that when members wait to see how things end up they are in the silent majority. which is a group that gets waht it asks for: nothing. This is not a time for passivity by NRA members.
    DZUS, Frodebro and airslot like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Making "demands" has become so liberal sounding. What if some of those demands aren't my demands? Does she offer a Demands Version 2.0? I demand she change her demands.

The NRA needs an overhaul, obviously. I'm not sure what it will take to make that occur. Clearly money--or lack of money--will talk, but will the folks concerned listen?
    DZUS likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    It's going to take a lot of ballast to right this ship and a NEW CAPTAIN to get it back on course. Hopefully, it gets sorted out before it goes down.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Moderator
    Here are my additional comments as I signed the Petition:

Other Action Steps: (1) Immediately retain outside counsel to establish new governance standards, rules and policies to apply to all Executives, Board Member, and Employees as well as streamline current Board size as per No. 5 above; (2) immediately retain new outside counsel to review Ackerman-McQueen contracts, relationships and payments; (3) new outside counsel to review Mercury Group and Brewer contracts, relationships and payments; (4) Place the financial audit out for proposal excluding the current provider; (5) form an Audit Committee to oversee the outside auditors
    I did not sign the Petition lightly.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    There is at least one other NRA group attempting similar efforts. They are "Save the Second Amendment" at Save the Second ? Integrity, Accountability, Transparency

They too have a petition in process that I will be snail mailing later today.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I personally think these proposed reforms are too little, too late and lack credibility. Even if they are adopted, how will we be know it is not another high-dollar shell game? Once trust is lost, it doesn't come back so easily. A lot of the people proposing these changes were part of the leadership when the problems were happening. They didn't speak out then. They are only speaking out now that the whole organization is circling the drain.

There are other, more effective, stronger-minded, more cost-effective gun rights organizations coming up fast. The SAF and the GOA are taking no-compromise positions and showing results that impress me. There are some state and local organizations that are getting a lot done on shoestring budgets. My support will go to organizations I agree with, who get results and don't waste money.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Demands are for re-election campaigns, SJWs and the Hollywood Performance Artist Lobby. The Demands do not cure the real problem. My real issue is that as a NRA member, I have no information on the problems within the administration of the NRA. We read sound bytes from biased newspapers. I have as much faith in that media as I do that OV will send me a Christmas Card. I read the allegations the NRA made against Ackerman McQueen from the actual lawsuits. I attached the actual lawsuits elsewhere on DC. The NRA relied too much on the Ackerman McQueen and the Ackerman McQueen exploited that trust. That means that the NRA BOD did not perform their oversight responsibilities. Shame on them. But, what I would like to see is an outside counsel retained to investigate the corporate governance issues and make real recommendations. None of these so called Demands will actually fix the real problem, they just feel good. Kinda like enhanced gun-control laws imposed on me when a jihadist shoots up a nightclub.

The NRA needs to get focused on its core-mission and sever the policies and practices that undermine its effectiveness. But first we need to identify the cancer before it can excised.

OneGun
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Senior Moderator
    There are other, more effective, stronger-minded, more cost-effective gun rights organizations coming up fast. The SAF and the GOA are taking no-compromise positions and showing results that impress me. There are some state and local organizations that are getting a lot done on shoestring budgets. My support will go to organizations I agree with, who get results and don't waste money.
    Gun Owners of Maine and Sportsman's Alliance of Maine are two big ones for me. We went 10 for 10 against Mom's, Gunsense and Bloomberg this session.

They are all big tents. There is room for everyone.
    Sister, rocky, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Here's what really disappoints me about Ms. Dell’Aquila's letter in the OP. It is all about NRA insider stuff, like financial malfeasance. I mean that's bad, but she doesn't mention anything about the NRA's betrayal of gun owners in the recent positions they've taken, their lack of proven results in protecting the RTKABA and their continued failure to cooperate with other gun groups. I would give them the benefit of the doubt about Ack-Mac and Wayne's suits, etc. if they were still keepin' the faith and gettin' the job done. Heck, she says she wants Chris Cox hired back and he was the one that came out and supported red flag laws, a position the NRA has waffled a little on, but never really backed off of. That is a huge betrayal and the insider NRA critics don't even mention that.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Here's what really disappoints me about Ms. Dell’Aquila's letter in the OP. It is all about NRA insider stuff, like financial malfeasance. I mean that's bad, but she doesn't mention anything about the NRA's betrayal of gun owners in the recent positions they've taken, their lack of proven results in protecting the RTKABA and their continued failure to cooperate with other gun groups. I would give them the benefit of the doubt about Ack-Mac and Wayne's suits, etc. if they were still keepin' the faith and gettin' the job done. Heck, she says she wants Chris Cox hired back and he was the one that came out and supported red flag laws, a position the NRA has waffled a little on, but never really backed off of. That is a huge betrayal and the insider NRA critics don't even mention that.
    ^^^^^^^ This times a gazillion.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    In case anyone didn't know about or forgot about Cox's stated positions on Red Flag legislation.

"Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links