Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches. - Page 2

Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches.

This is a discussion on Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a very disturbing story and creates additional distrust between society and those charged with protecting it. Former Deputy Wester was a uniformed disgrace ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches.

Senior Moderator
    This is a very disturbing story and creates additional distrust between society and those charged with protecting it.
    Former Deputy Wester was a uniformed disgrace who will soon be wearing a 'new' uniform and defending 'only' himself...his days are numbered.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I remember seeing some movies where people were framed from something and thought how awful that would be.

This (Marianna Fl) isn't far from me, and I always wonder when I drive though these small towns *** goes on with some of them.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    A criminal with a badge...

The very worst kind.

He should receive a VERY stiff sentence.
    Most leo's are criminals with badges. At one of the 3 day defensive edged weapons courses I put on at S+W for LE [ all Conn. troopers in this one ], one of them asked me what I thought of leo's [ not realizing I also was badged up at the time ]. I told him "cops are criminals with badges" and we moved on. Next water break, one of the troopers approached me at the water cooler in the hall and quite upset, told me he took offense to my calling him a criminal and I should apologize..

I asked if he'd answer three questions for me honestly, to which he said sure.

Ever pulled someone over you know and give them a free pass? YES
    Ever fixed a ticket for someone in your immediate or extended family or a friend? YES
    Ever been speeding over the posted limit in your POV? YES

I told him fixing tickets was an abuse of power, and speeding were violations of the law. The definition of a criminal was someone who violated some law. He'd just admitted to violating the law and thus I would not apologize for the statement made in the classroom. That really set him off, but he got over it by the end of the days training/.

Like most people, sometime or another they are violating some law, thus the reality most people including leo's, are violating some law or another often enough. If an leo breaks the law, any law or abuses the badge fixing a ticket they are criminals with badges by definition. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad leo's, like it doesn't mean the general public is bad when they violate some law, it is what it is.

This leo in the news story/OP/'s post needs to do some jail time, and his vics should be allowed to bring civil suit against the dept and the state.

What makes you think you smell marijuana, officer?

Name:  thQFJE82IL.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  8.7 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    My dad was a homicide detective, cop for 30 years. I love LEO's
    But my pop had zero tolerance for crooked cops. Always said they were worse than the criminals he arrested.
    I know my dad was an honest cop because we grew up kinda on the poor side.
    OldChap, Instymp and Risasi like this.

This goes a lot deeper in the justice system than a crooked cop. His supervisors, prosecutors and judges also deserve to be on trial. Any or all of them should have seen the pattern here. It's way past time to have a house cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    This goes a lot deeper in the justice system than a crooked cop. His supervisors, prosecutors and judges also deserve to be on trial. Any or all of them should have seen the pattern here. It's way past time to have a house cleaning.
    Patterns are hard to discern in sea of blue making hundreds of arrests per week. Some leo's work harder at enforcing the law than others. Some go hide and sit on their thumbs for their full shifts.

I think it's pretty evident that once someone saw a pattern developed, they've taken the correct steps to correct the misconduct.

I was involved in an arson conspiracy that lasted over 2 decades until we started putting the pieces together. It took hundreds of hours researching deeds, finding the true owners, then connecting those properties to others tied to the same beneficiaries on policies. Took 4 years to get 33 indictments through months of research to trial, 31 convictions of those 33 were the result. BUT, no one had reason to look that close for decades before that.

It happens,
    OldChap, hogdaddy and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What makes you think you smell marijuana, officer?

Name:  thQFJE82IL.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  8.7 KB
    That weed is not mine....I loaned out my car.
    That weed is not mine...I am borrowing this car.
    That weed is not mine...I had passengers in the car earlier.
    That weed is not mine...I just purchased this car.
    OldChap likes this.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Talk about a violation of trust. I'll wait for the K-9 if I'm in this situation. Good idea to have a personal bodycam.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That weed is not mine....I loaned out my car.
    That weed is not mine...I am borrowing this car.
    That weed is not mine...I had passengers in the car earlier.
    That weed is not mine...I just purchased this car.
    Personally I always enjoy these:

Honest officer, I found that 6 ounces of crack laying in the middle of the street.
    Honest officer, I found that 6 ounces of crack in my underwear when my buddy made me wear his undies.
    Honest officer, A bird dropped that crack in my bra.
    Honest officer, These aren't my pants and that crack in the front pocket isn't mine. Somebody musta' switched pants when I wasn't lookin'.
    Honest officer, I rolled down the window and that baggie flew in and landed in the center console.

On and on the parade of bald-faced lying goes!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

If you want to get a lesson in abuse of power, watch "Live PD" (my wife LOVES this show). They routinely make stops for the most miniscule infractions such as not putting on your directional soon enough. I've seen it where they approached a guy sitting in his car in a motel parking lot. The officer then asks some questions and then asks for permission to search.

My impression is that they are looking for a reason, any reason to conduct a search.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    If you want to get a lesson in abuse of power, watch "Live PD" (my wife LOVES this show). They routinely make stops for the most miniscule infractions such as not putting on your directional soon enough. I've seen it where they approached a guy sitting in his car in a motel parking lot. The officer then asks some questions and then asks for permission to search.

My impression is that they are looking for a reason, any reason to conduct a search.
    I used to watch COPS a lot. If I were an ambulance-chasing civil-trial lawyer, I could have gotten rich on that show alone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I took training in Jackson county, and met some fine officers there. It's a shame that the whole department got a black eye from this A-hole.
    airslot likes this.

VIP Member
    We can wait for the K9, the warrant, whatever. No, I do not consent to a search of anything.
    Instymp, AzQkr, mr.stuart and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Most honest non-law breaking people would consent to a search because they have nothing to hide.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links