Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches.

This is a discussion on Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Crooked cop plants drugs during traffic stops. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp Just say no....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Why you never consent to traffic-stop searches.

Crooked cop plants drugs during traffic stops.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp

Just say no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yes but look at the upside - three hots and a cot, plus free meth !
    hogdaddy and wmhawth like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Crooked cop plants drugs during traffic stops.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp

Just say no.
    But if they suspect you have drugs and you don't give consent they can just call in a K-9 and have you detained and do it anyway.
    It still comes down to your word against theirs....So he left off the camera at times ...Hmmmm
    Wouldn't a mandatory review of all body cam footage be required?
    If it wasn't on all the time...How can a case be held up?
    Where was the cop getting the drugs...Evidence locker?.

Just another example of bad apples being everywhere....Even in law enforcement

What a POS. Evidently he enjoyed playing god over people's lives. I hope he goes to prison for a long time.

I am curious as to what the consequences would be if I were pulled over, and did not consent to a vehicle search. Where does it go from there? Would the officer be upset? Would the officer automatically suspect I had something to hide? I could say no, but then what?
    OlCop and kukla like this.

VIP Member
    30 years is not enough for that abuse of power but.....if he’s in general population (as he should be), it probably won’t matter.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I hope they hang him from his gonads for that. No excuse, and no worse offense or breach of trust.
    airslot, OldVet, OldChap and 9 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    What a POS. Evidently he enjoyed playing god over people's lives. I hope he goes to prison for a long time.

I am curious as to what the consequences would be if I were pulled over, and did not consent to a vehicle search. Where does it go from there? Would the officer be upset? Would the officer automatically suspect I had something to hide? I could say no, but then what?
    Say hello to mans best friend
    Tstone likes this.

Distinguished Member
    OldVet, that s good advice. The report you linked to is horrifying. It hurts good LEOS and causes concern just like mine about what to do. I have done some reading onn the topic in the past. As I recall SCOTUS has ruled that an officer can search. your car if he or she has good reason and evidence to believe that you are engaged in criminal activity. other wise they have to have permission. So i would have two simple responses to an officer who wnted to search my car.

Do you have reason or evidence to belive that evidence of a crime exist within my car?

If the answer is "no" then I would deny access because a search would be a frivolous fishing exercise. I would deny permission and tell the officer to get a warrant, and I would ask for a supervisor to come to the scene.

If the answer was "yes" then I would deny permission a to access and ask that a supervisor come to the scene. Then as a CCW SAFE member I would call the 800 number to reach a lawyer from CCW Safe to seek guidance on what words I should speak next. Until I had that guidance I would have nothing else to say to the officer except that I would not speak until i had spoken with my attorney. That would make it a lousy day, but so be it.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

A criminal with a badge...

The very worst kind.

He should receive a VERY stiff sentence.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    But if they suspect you have drugs and you don't give consent they can just call in a K-9 and have you detained and do it anyway.
    Which should happen anyways prior to search. And would have halted this guy early on. Cops don't have bloodhound noses.
    OldChap, hogdaddy and Instymp like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Say hello to mans best friend
    Then you tell the LEO to get his dog here quickly and check the time. Courts have ruled against extended "detainments" for a dog to arrive for routine traffic stops.

Without PC or RS, write the dang ticket and send them on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Then you tell the LEO to get his dog here quickly and check the time. Courts have ruled against extended "detainments" for a dog to arrive for routine traffic stops.

Without PC or RS, write the dang ticket and send them on their way.
    I agree...All the whining about body camera costs and they allow them to use them as they wish as allegedly happened this case.
    Sound to me like they took way too long to figure this guy out.

The old famous i thought i smelled Marijuana when i walked up to the car
    OldChap likes this.

And some wonder why people refuse to open doors, or unroll their windows for police officers.
    We get the government we deserve.

I cannot tell you how I feel about this kind of "officer" without violating forum rules. Needless to say, I have always been on the side of law enforcement officers who do a lonely, dangerous job and pay a terrible price for trying to make their world a better place to live.

For an "officer" who does what this guy is accused of, I have zero sympathy. We have an on-going case here in Houston that made national news of two "actors" and their dog being killed and 5 officers shot during a "drug raid", which now appears more and more like some very, very bad apples in the barrel.

Families of victims abused by a convicted "officer" should demand the court sentence to whatever the appropriate maximum penalty the law requires and then insist, very vocally, that every day (and night) be spent in Gen Pop. Such an abuse of trust is, IMHO, much more destructive than even serial killers' actions.

Off the soapbox I go.
    OldVet, OlCop, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I cannot tell you how I feel about this kind of "officer" without violating forum rules. Needless to say, I have always been on the side of law enforcement officers who do a lonely, dangerous job and pay a terrible price for trying to make their world a better place to live.

For an "officer" who does what this guy is accused of, I have zero sympathy. We have an on-going case here in Houston that made national news of two "actors" and their dog being killed and 5 officers shot during a "drug raid", which now appears more and more like some very, very bad apples in the barrel.

Families of victims abused by a convicted "officer" should demand the court sentence to whatever the appropriate maximum penalty demands and insist every day (and night) be spent in Gen Pop. Such an abuse of trust is, IMHO, much more destructive than even serial killers' actions.

Off the soapbox I go.
    I see a lot of convictions getting tossed! I really don't understand what would drive someone to do this sort of thing. More arrests mean quicker promotions? Maybe each LEO should have an arrest cap applied. "You get on "X" arrests and then you're reassigned to school-crossing duty or school resource officer. Make them count."

I would expect this type of action from my former neighbor, who is a deputy in a nearby county. He definitely flaunted his position, to the point of abuse, IMO. I all but called him on it during a little traffic incident in front of our houses.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links