Planning trip, any advice?

This is a discussion on Planning trip, any advice? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wife is taking me on a trip in September. Something I have always wanted to go to. Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown battlefield. Going for a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Planning trip, any advice?

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

Wife is taking me on a trip in September.
    Something I have always wanted to go to.
    Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown battlefield.
    Going for a week.
    Any advice from those who have been there will be appreciated
    Old Man and CWOUSCG like this.

I went as a kid, and then we took our kids a few years ago when they were 14 and 12 or so. Fun area. Jamestown was very interesting, as was most of the tourist stuff. Colonial Williamsburg itself was more fun as a kid, but it was fun watching my kids experience it.

There is a good maritime museum called The Mariner's Museum, in Newport News. I think there is a replica of the Monitor there, or nearby as well, if you like that sort of thing. There is also a natural history museum called the Virginia Living Museum, which has a planetarium, which was also quite good.

there is also a Virginia War Museum, but we did not go, so can't comment.

A good restaurant is called "Food for Thought." They have a great selection of souvenir shirts as well.

We always use Trip Advisor to find things to do, and especially for restaurants.

Enjoy, it's a fun trip.

Distinguished Member
    If you want to drive over to Norfolk, the Nauticus Museum and tour of the USS Wisconsin battleship is interesting. Depending upon which flattops are in, driving along the Naval Shipyard can be cool, too. At the visitors and info center at gate 5 you can take a 45 minute base tour for $10 that is led by naval personnel.

https://www.visitnorfolk.com/things-...lk-naval-base/

Distinguished Member
    Remember that most federal instillations and land have severe penalties for any firearms. Enjoy your trip.
    1942bull and Old Man like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member
    Like Old Man I recommend Norfolk Naval Base. It is the largest naval base in the world. You can take a tour and see the naval might of the US. not too far from there is the Little Creek Amphibious Training Base. They have tours and activities also. And there is Virginia Beach which is touristy but there is a beach. We had a good routine when we trained at Little Creek. Train all day or for days and then go to Virginia Beach and drink beer.

If you decide to go north from Williamsburg toward Civil War country be sure to stop by thee USMC Museum in Quantico. It is interesting, but I am prejudiced by experience.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

In Virginia, your concealed carry permit is honored. If you don't have a permit, you can openly carry here since that is the normal, or default, mode of carrying a sidearm. As has already been mentioned, federal installations are off limits for carried firearms. I have taken a handgun and an AR-15 onto the Quantico Marine base. That was in 2003 and was the only way to get to the local gun shop in Quantico.

Virginia carry laws are very good and as long as you abide by them, you should be fine. Lots of stuff to see where you are going. Also that area has a major amusement park (Busch Gardens). Williamsburg is very interesting for history buffs. You should have a nice time of it.
    Old Man and Rock and Glock like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Remember that most federal instillations and land have severe penalties for any firearms. Enjoy your trip.
    I know that's the only reason I hate to go on vacations where we fly out of state. Wife wants me to leave sidearm at home she hates the hassle.
    you never know what stupid rules hotels have now also. Just depend on my situational awareness
    Old Man and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I know that's the only reason I hate to go on vacations where we fly out of state. Wife wants me to leave sidearm at home she hates the hassle.
    you never know what stupid rules hotels have now also. Just depend on my situational awareness
    I follow state and federal law. Hotels can ...well, I disregard their "policies".
    Havok and CWOUSCG like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Plenty of "alternate weapons" are legal. @Mike1956 did a thread, when he went to Israel, on carrying a walking stick/cane? I believe. Also,"LOTS" of other things you could pack & carry, so you aren't defenseless. They can't stop you from carrying a cane "on the plane" even! Maybe some of the members here can chime in, as what "alternate weapons", are legal carry in that area.
    Old Man and Mike1956 like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    When you go to Williamsburg, be sure to eat at at least one of the "Taverns." They are very authentic and the food and atmosphere were excellent when my wife and I were there.

Chritsiana Campbells and Chownings were two of our favorites.
    Old Man and CWOUSCG like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

You never know what stupid rules hotels have now also. Just depend on my situational awareness
    I hate hotel's policies as well. Often their policies are not up to date on their websites. 1) Check out the app "Posted". It keeps a running list of off-limit businesses. 2) My wife and I often use AirBnb or VRBO. Never seen a property listed with a firearm policy. 3) Concealed means concealed!
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Never knew hotels had gun policies.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Stay hydrated.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I used to commute to work through the Yorktown battlefields, very cool if you like history.

My recommendation, first stop is the visitors center at each of the locations as they will have the up to date info on any special events. Next, make sure you see the Governors mansion in Williamsburg, and since this is a gun forum - the armory!

Final piece of advice, take your time.
    Rock and Glock and Pete63 like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Plenty of "alternate weapons" are legal. @Mike1956 did a thread, when he went to Israel, on carrying a walking stick/cane? I believe. Also,"LOTS" of other things you could pack & carry, so you aren't defenseless. They can't stop you from carrying a cane "on the plane" even! Maybe some of the members here can chime in, as what "alternate weapons", are legal carry in that area.
    I took a cane to Israel when there was an outbreak of knife attacks. I wanted to have "something" to block a knife.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

"DISLOYAL JEW"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links