Writing a meaningful resume - a lost skill

This is a discussion on Writing a meaningful resume - a lost skill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was presented with two resumes today from a company that supplies our staffing resources. I have no choice in this, they basically tell us ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Writing a meaningful resume - a lost skill

I was presented with two resumes today from a company that supplies our staffing resources. I have no choice in this, they basically tell us from who we have to choose. We have to go through a process that on paper, looks legit. In reality its total BS. This position for a garden variety computer programmer.

I'm probably getting old, but it seems more and more people just cut corners and don't have any real pride with what they do. The "easy" way is the objective, no matter how damn stupid is makes someone look. So we have two people here - the applicant, and the "recruiter". The recruiter is supposed to handle the screening and initial review. But sadly, that is just another part of this bureaucratic nonsense which is really a can kicked down the road.

One of the two resumes was 7 pages long from a guy with “about 8 years” of IT experience. A total hack job. What a waste of time. Full BS. I'm almost embarrassed for these guys.

What I would like to say to the applicant (and CC the recruiter)….

I don’t want to Google parts of your resume and have it come up verbatim in dozens of search results - from other people on LinkedIn.

It’s even better not to copy statements from other resumes that do not make sense. If you do decide to copy someone else's resume, read what the hell you are copying first. And even if it makes sense to you, at least try to correct the bad grammar.

Oh, copy and paste the entire statement from the source, not just a partial statement.

Line item bullets with names of technologies is supposed to mean what exactly? You worked with this? Or you just know how to copy the names?

Do not tell me you have managed a team AND developed an application AND written complex reports AND implemented tasks involved in ALL phases of a software project, and still were a full time developer.

Don’t tell me you have performed a dozen tasks a business analyst would do AND still worked as a developer, because you clearly can’t do much of either without copying from someone else anyway.

I need a programmer and I don’t care that you have worked with every software testing tool on the planet as you claim – AT ONE JOB.

Please avoid the lazy abbreviations and try to articulate what you really intend to convey. It’s a resume, not a text chat.

You only need to indicate you have worked with a technology ONCE instead of five different times because you COPIED some resume language from everyone else and didn’t bother reading it.

Understand past and present tense, and try utilizing tense properly in your sentences.

And above all…..do not have the audacity to tell me you can communicate effectively.

7 page resume denotes a lack of good communication skills.

Shouldn't a decent resume really only be 1 page?
    Sister, AzQkr, airslot and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    I feel your pain. My pet peeve are the applicants, with "college degrees" mind you, who can neither spell nor write in complete sentences.
    Hawker800, OldVet, Sister and 2 others like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I agree with you whole heartedly. Written and verbal communications have been lost in the text shorthand that the younger generations communicate in today. I am a high school teacher and see the shortcomings on a daily basis. I teach work ethics as well as resume writing and its amazing how many try to use a resume creator to try to boost their grades. The youth of today have to realize the price of "easy" and "free". If its easy and meaningful, be grateful and free is never free. Someone has to pay for it. They don't realize that their "free" public school education costs approximately $144,000 depending on state. Unfortunately with what you have stated is the return on investment we are getting. This reality is sad and watching the work ethic of many younger people continues to degrade.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post

Resumes should be condensed to one succinctly composed page (additional information supplied on request). CVs can be attached, and references should be available upon request. And, a cogently constructed and carefully written cover letter specifically tailored to the potential employer is an excellent personal touch.

Ideal candidates have some general letters of reference that they can send on request.

Full disclosure, I've only been on a handful or so of hiring panels.

Oh, and "communication skills", they are vanishing, even among college grads.

Last edited by DZUS; July 15th, 2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added a sentence
    BamaT, Sister and entertainment72 like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

But has anyone really ever known how to write resumes? Or is the “right way” just what they want to see? I had to take a class before getting out of the military and one of the things they “taught” was resume writing. Between that class, talking to other people, reading online, and looking at templates, I quickly realized that if you look around enough, basically everything is both right and wrong all depending on who is reading it and how many applicants they have, as long as everything is spelled correctly.
    Novarider likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Resume of the month club. Insert the attention-getting key words even though they don't mean squat.

Retirement is a good thing, especially as it does not require a resume.
    QKShooter, sdprof, DZUS and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post

I would not wade through 7 pages of resume. More than 1-3 pages and I think you're just trying to baffle me with B.S. and if your spelling and grammar give you away as less than literate you've told me much of what I needed to know anyway.

Senior Moderator
    A decent resume for a entry level might be one page.

For an executive at GE or a Fortune 500 I's say 3-4.

I'm an old codger though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

During my working years I had to review hundreds of resumes, which was the low point of my job responsibilities. Before word processers - typewriters were the king. The canned resumes usually came from four big resume writing companies, and after awhile you could easily tell which company generated each one. I never hired a person that resorted to that game. My favorite resume, which I kept a copy of, was hand printed in the most perfect printing I had ever seen - and done without lettering guides. It consisted of a correct cover page, and two personnel pages. I hired engineering grads, and this resume showed a lot of drafting experience, which was what I was needing. He was called in for a interview and hired on the spot. I must have made the correct choice because he is now a high level design engineer on the F-35 program.

My resume was usually one line: I need a pay check!
    sdprof likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Techer40 View Post
    I agree with you whole heartedly. Written and verbal communications have been lost...
    Written communication IS verbal, but I know what you mean.
    Rock and Glock and Brad426 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I agree wholeheartedly that effective resume writing skills are vanishing rapidly. Before being retired, I was a high ranking finance officer with a somewhat decentralized Fortune 500 company, and hired quite a few people through the years. I really lament the online application process that is so prevalent today, and used as a primary screening tool. I much prefer to look at a resume, because a person’s resume really says a lot about the candidate as well as listing qualifications. I would frequently toss a resume that was poorly structured, was excessively long or wordy, contained grammatical errors, or used useless catch phrases, that while theoretically meant to get your attention, turned me off entirely as being bogus. I recently tossed a really poor resume I had kept as an example of what not to do, especially the wordy “action” items. I wish I still had it so I could recite some of the phrases used. You all would have gotten a real hoot from some of them. To read them you would have thought this person was a finance Jedi.

I’m in my retirement job now, as a CFO of a relatively small but fast growing transportation company. A recruiter was brought on board a couple of years ago that I really like, but this person relies primarily on online applications from recruiting websites you all would recognize. While we have been able to hire a number of employees, turnover has gone through the roof.

As far as length of a resume, I don’t mind a two page resume when it’s necessary. But seven or eight pages? Nope. I wouldn’t give that the time of day.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Don’t tell me you have performed a dozen tasks a business analyst would do AND still worked as a developer
    Pretty much what I'm doing since our business analyst left. I hope we find another one soon :)

I wouldn't generalize about the proper length and style for a resume across the board. It depends on the job, the industry and at what part in the hiring process it is submitted. If you are submitting up front to a recruiter at a big company, the resume will be computer scanned for keywords. Length and style may not matter.

Resumes/CVs in consulting, engineering, academia, and others, tend to be longer. I adapted the resume format that was the standard at a large, international consulting firm I worked for. They sent resumes in this format to prospective clients to show the pedigree of the consultants they would put on a client's project. My resume is five pages, in a very unique format, and I've gotten compliments on it from places I've applied and I've had other consultants ask if they can use the format for their resumes. It has gotten me hired for multiple projects, at substantial billing rates, for Fortune 500 level clients.

As a former HR professional for a major company, I agree with the OP that yes, a lot of resumes are poorly written. But as a consultant what I find is the bigger problem at most companies is their recruiting/hiring and onboarding processes are broken and it is no wonder they can't find, hire and keep good people. Poorly written resumes should be the least of their worries.
    Rock and Glock and gasmitty like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links