Generator help - Page 2

Generator help

This is a discussion on Generator help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I would be very concerned about running a house with modern appliances on a non-inverter generator. This is a great unit... https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...odels/eu7000is You don't want ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Generator help

I would be very concerned about running a house with modern appliances on a non-inverter generator.

This is a great unit...

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...odels/eu7000is

You don't want to fry the circuit cards in your fridge and high-efficiency furnace or AC.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; July 16th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Sister, I am not talking about having to move the generator. Once I get it where I want it and hooked up to the house, it's staying put. I'm talking about lugging propane tanks to the refill station.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Sister, I am not talking about having to move the generator. Once I get it where I want it and hooked up to the house, it's staying put. I'm talking about lugging propane tanks to the refill station.
    Ok, I understand now.
    Had gone out to the garage and took pics however, it is the movable type so not what your looking for. Hope you can find what you need!
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Ok, I understand now.
    Had gone out to the garage and took pics however, it is the movable type so not what your looking for. Hope you can find what you need!
    Maybe I misspoke. I do want a portable generator. It's the propane tanks that I didn't want to be too heavy.

What did you get? Send me pics.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Maybe I misspoke. I do want a portable generator. It's the propane tanks that I didn't want to be too heavy.

Just talked w CWO on the phone, he said to tell you if you can push a wheelbarrow then you can move this around. Did the best I could w the pic’s, we have the garage packed so we can actually get the vehicle in it.

Generator help-6e9c4094-1ece-4cc6-a261-802e6acc1e94.jpeg

Generator help-3fe18524-6637-4da7-bdd6-c03efcca4a25.jpeg

Generator help-0acabf3e-24fb-41d4-af84-5682641345e3.jpeg

It’s gas AND propane
    msgt/ret, Old Man, GpTom and 1 others like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I have two 7500KW Generac portable gas generators and Reliance transfer switches (two houses). This spring we were out of power for 3 days. running both units 24 hours a day took 42 gallons of gas. The load is heavier in Mom's house and that generator took almost twice the fuel as the one on my house.

I have thought about propane and a whole farm generator, but the cost doesn't pencil out when I look at the fact that this is only the second time I've needed a generator in the last 6 years.
    They both have around 160 hours on now, with fresh oil and gas every year even if they don't get used. It pays to keep up on maintenance so when you need it, it is ready to run.

The Generac's replaced a 12000kw Harbor Freight generator that died after 4 days of use (average half load) and they didn't stand behind the warranty. They claimed abuse because it had 82 hours on it and we had only had it 5 days. When it is -20 below and 30mph wind, heat is a necessity, not a luxury.
    I drove 120 miles in a blizzard to Harbor Freight because they were half the price of what I could get locally. I got exactly what I paid for.

Generac is more expensive than many portable generators, but well worth it in the long run.
    That’s 42 gallons split between two houses?
    We get the government we deserve.

One thing to remember is that portables are going to be loud! I have a 5000 watt 8 horse portable that I extended the exhaust so that I can run it in my closed garage. its still loud! One thing to remember about stored fuel is that gas no longer has a preservative in it so you have to add it to your stored fuel. Propane does not age. It's good for 10 years or more. Diesel is good for long term storage also. Good Luck. DR

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Living here in Florida we just purchased a WEN 11,000 watt portable generator from Home Depot. Spent another coupla Hundred to get all the parts together like the Cable {$130},50 amp Box [$75},Main board Interlock {$72},Ground pole {$13} All wiring {$70},2 Propame tanks {$90} and two 5 Gal Gas cans {$39}. Am ready to take it out of the garage this weekend and fire it up,Hope it works!!!!!!. All I want it to do is power my Two Ton Heat Pump A/C,the fridge,the Microwave,coffee pot and a coupla lights. Will be using the first run on Gas as that gives me the most wattage. Wish me luck and and any ideas are Welcomed!. Thanks, Hal.
    Old Man and GpTom like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    For portable generators Honda's are fantastic...if price isn't a big concern. For a lot less $$$ look at Champions! Not a Honda but still very dependable and very reasonably priced! I found out about them through the RV folks. Champions are very popular with RV'ers. They are almost as quiet as a Honda. I had a 7800 watt Troybuilt that I went though about 8 hurricanes with. It was very NOISY and went through about 12 gallons of gas a day. Getting a transfer switch professionally installed is definitely worthwhile! I have a 4000 watt Champion that I have been very pleased with! It uses less than 1/2 the gas that the TroyBuilt did and is MUCH quieter as well! Good luck!
    I run a Honda EU3000iS with my RV. I also use it when the power goes out here at the house. It will run both fridges, the lights, my computer, and (most importantly in STX) a window AC unit for my bedroom. It also sips gas. This plus two five gallon gas cans can keep us happy for days.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Old Man and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I would be very concerned about running a house with modern appliances on a non-inverter generator.

This is a great unit...

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...odels/eu7000is

You don't way to fry the circuit cards in your fridge and high-efficiency furnace or AC.
    This is why you get an inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    This is why you get an inverter.
    A bit off topic but does an inverter put out a true steady sine wave regulated to 60Hz, I do know that the frequency will vary somewhat on a direct connected generator but is it enough to cause a problem with electronic controls.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

We have a Duramax 5500 dual fuel. Got it from Lowe’s. We did a test run with propane and it worked great. I’m with you about availability of propane in case of power outage but also for fuel storage as it does not need preserving as DR says. And you don’t need to worry about gumming up the carb with old gas from last year when you ran it and put it away.
    msgt/ret, craze, Old Man and 1 others like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    A bit off topic but does an inverter put out a true steady sine wave regulated to 60Hz, I do know that the frequency will vary somewhat on a direct connected generator but is it enough to cause a problem with electronic controls.
    An inverter puts out a steady 60 Hz sine wave. Very clean. A contruction generators is all over the place. I've known RVers who bought one because they were inexpensive and cooked some of their expensive electronics in their rig.

Stolen from invertersrus.com

You can purchase gas-powered generators and power inverters that will supply you with plenty of power to run your devices. However, most gas-powered generators will not be able to supply you with efficient power that’s identical to the power supplied to your home by the power company; neither will cheaper power inverters, called Modified Sine Wave Inverters. Large gas-powered generators can get pretty close to consistent, clean Pure Sine Wave power and there’s a type of power inverter—appropriately called Pure Sine Wave Power Inverters—that gives you power which is identical to that supplied by the power company. Most appliances and devices are designed to run from Pure Sine Wave power. Most of them can run on Modified Sine Wave power, but they may run hotter than usual and may not run as efficiently.

I live in an old subdivision with above ground powerlines and lots of big old trees. Loosing power around here for a day or more is pretty common (storms in the spring and summer, Ice in the winter). In the summer I've run 2 refers, a few lights, tv and and internet, and even the microwave on a 5000 watt coleman. I can fill it before I go to work, and it still has plenty of juice when I get home. Most important thing is running the fridges in summer. It proves most valuable in winter. I have a natural gas furnace, and being able to run the blower and have central heat is nice.

My whole neighbor hood was out for a week 10 or 12 years ago. It was actually kind of fun. At night everyone was hanging out in their driveways and on the street talking to neighbors, because it was cooler outside than indoors. I remember sitting on the front porch with neighbor, drinking beer all night listening to generators humm all over the neighborhood.
    TSKnight, airslot and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    An inverter puts out a steady 60 Hz sine wave. Very clean. A contruction generators is all over the place. I've known RVers who bought one because they were inexpensive and cooked some of their expensive electronics in their rig.

Stolen from invertersrus.com

You can purchase gas-powered generators and power inverters that will supply you with plenty of power to run your devices. However, most gas-powered generators will not be able to supply you with efficient power that’s identical to the power supplied to your home by the power company; neither will cheaper power inverters, called Modified Sine Wave Inverters. Large gas-powered generators can get pretty close to consistent, clean Pure Sine Wave power and there’s a type of power inverter—appropriately called Pure Sine Wave Power Inverters—that gives you power which is identical to that supplied by the power company. Most appliances and devices are designed to run from Pure Sine Wave power. Most of them can run on Modified Sine Wave power, but they may run hotter than usual and may not run as efficiently.
    Thanks, if i purchase one I will look for an inverter.
    ThirdShift and RETSUPT99 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links