Generator help - Page 3

Generator help

This is a discussion on Generator help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My best friend back in CT got a Lincoln generator/welder that could handle most of his house, leaving central AC out of the mix. Back ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Generator help

Senior Moderator
    My best friend back in CT got a Lincoln generator/welder that could handle most of his house, leaving central AC out of the mix. Back there, power outages from hurricanes and twisters are infrequent and the power is usually back within a day. The bigger problem is winter storms, ice storms in particular which cause widespread damage. So having your generator checked out and ready to start in cold weather is vital. Well, human nature being what it is, after not turning the genset on for 2 or 3 years, his area got hammered by a winter storm a couple of years ago. Electric start didn't work, generator battery crapped out, could NOT get the thing running . Fortunately a large fireplace and an ample supply of firewood kept them warm and fed. Gummed up carburetor and fuel system was the problem - shocker, right? Now he checks it before winter sets in.

LP/propane would be my first choice if I were getting a generator, Diesel would be second choice. For the LP/propane option, I'd still be looking to set up a pair of 100-pound tanks (about 25 gallons each) with a means to use the little 20-pounds tanks as well, for convenience and backup. I'm a bit surprised you're having trouble finding LP gas service (home delivery) in your area - I thought that was pretty common across the US, especially in areas not served by natural gas line.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Thatís 42 gallons split between two houses?
    Yes 42 gallons to run two generators for three days.
    Mom's house pulled a pretty constant 6000-6500kw load with spikes close to 7500kw. (Furnace, 2 freezers, refrigerator, misc)
    My house is quite a bit smaller and averaged 2200kw load. (Furnace, refrigerator, misc) Fuel use was about half of what poured through Mom's.

Read this and not sure what I was thinking, but WOW If I could find a 7500KW portable that ran 3 days on 42 gallons I'd be selling power to the neighbor!
    He has a 120KW PTO driven generator mounted permanently to a 100hp JD diesel. He runs two hog buildings, house and shop with it.

Should be 7500 watts
    Last edited by TSKnight; July 17th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Havok and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I bought a 15000 watt generator after 2004 hurricanes. Had a total of 10 hours on it when I just sold it because of moving and was to big for me to handle. Just purchased a duel fuel 3500 generator from Home Depot. Itís was hard to get gas the last hurricane so I have twice the chance of getting fuel. Wanted one big enough to run frig and freezer and fan. Just ordered the duel tank adapter. Thanks for that info.
    TSKnight and Havok like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I don't know a lot about generators but i see a lot Honda generators out camping on big rigs with multiple
    AC's etc due to the fact they only have 30 amp breakers at campground...And they are quiet...They make less noise than
    most RV air conditioners but they are pricey.
    Havok likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I went with the factory rebuilt Champion from Supergen Products. If I were going to spend over a thousand I would go with a Generac and have it set up with the automatic switch. I have the gas powered remote start 7500-9000 and I added a fuel solenoid shut off so that i can start mine form inside my house.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I don't know a lot about generators but i see a lot Honda generators out camping on big rigs with multiple
    AC's etc due to the fact they only have 30 amp breakers at campground...And they are quiet...They make less noise than
    most RV air conditioners but they are pricey.
    We have Hondaís at work and they are nice, but I have only seen small generators and they are quite pricey.
    lionround and Cornhusker95 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

For what itís worth, just ran a Generac (about $3,000) for 8 months, 40 hours a week. The guys didnít maintain the oil, and it ran fine u til it ran out of oil. We had a 500 gallon propane tank and would fill it twice a month.

If you use the ďportableĒ unit, dig a hole in the ground and pour flush with concrete that have a u bolt embedded. You can set the generator on top and lock it down. Itís cheap insurance and makes it more difficult to cut the lock /chain.

Oil is your friend on any unit that you buy. You can have plenty of gas, but if you donít have enough oil, itís useless.

Spend the money to hire an electrician to wire the transfer switch if you are not capable. You can select the items you want to run and run them as needed as others have suggested.
    lionround, OldVet, Havok and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    For what itís worth, just ran a Generac (about $3,000) for 8 months, 40 hours a week. The guys didnít maintain the oil, and it ran fine u til it ran out of oil. We had a 500 gallon propane tank and would fill it twice a month.

If you use the ďportableĒ unit, dig a hole in the ground and pour flush with concrete that have a u bolt embedded. You can set the generator on top and lock it down. Itís cheap insurance and makes it more difficult to cut the lock /chain.

Oil is your friend on any unit that you buy. You can have plenty of gas, but if you donít have enough oil, itís useless.

Spend the money to hire an electrician to wire the transfer switch if you are not capable. You can select the items you want to run and run them as needed as others have suggested.
    If transfer switch is installed, and devices chosen to run through main breaker, can other outlets on generator still be used to power individual devices not enabled by original setup?
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Youtube is full of guys who stick their generators in a plastic shed and add one little vent on one end and an 8" exhaust fan on the other. That didn't work for me. Mine is in a roomy homemade enclosure that is anything but air tight and I watched the remote outdoor thermometer reading start shooting up when I ran it. I went out and propped the top of the enclosure open and opened the doors on the front and that allowed the generator enclosure to cool down. The last few days I added a 15" roof fan on top of the enclosure and a couple of 12" X 18" vents on the doors. A big gasoline powered generator produces a lot of heat so if you want your generator to keep running figure on providing some serious ventilation. Supposed to be 95* this afternoon and I will try it out again. Our power was off for nine hours the last time and I had fuel but some people found out that the gas station's pumps don't work when they don't have power.
    TSKnight and gasmitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    Living here in Florida we just purchased a WEN 11,000 watt portable generator from Home Depot. Spent another coupla Hundred to get all the parts together like the Cable {$130},50 amp Box [$75},Main board Interlock {$72},Ground pole {$13} All wiring {$70},2 Propame tanks {$90} and two 5 Gal Gas cans {$39}. Am ready to take it out of the garage this weekend and fire it up,Hope it works!!!!!!. All I want it to do is power my Two Ton Heat Pump A/C,the fridge,the Microwave,coffee pot and a coupla lights. Will be using the first run on Gas as that gives me the most wattage. Wish me luck and and any ideas are Welcomed!. Thanks, Hal.
    Pretty much the way mine is set up except I built a generator enclosure. I didn't spend the extra hundred for the dual fuel generator because I don't have a big propane tank and I don't intend to lug 30# bottles around. I had enough fuel for what I needed to run but some people had to run around looking for fuel. Gas stations don't pump gas when they don't have power.

I would think that they would still work. As many have mentioned, your loads will determine how many circuits you can power.
    deadguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post

I want to be able to run it on propane, but I've not had much luck finding a company that services my area. I am considering getting two 20 lb BBQ style tanks and hooking them together with this.
    Your local medical/industrial gas supplier (like oxygen cannulae, welding machines, argon, CO2, etc) likely also has propane. Perhaps you could get them to service you with 100-lb tank(s) (similar to typical BBQ but about 4.5 feet tall) on their regular delivery route bringing oxygen to your neighbor with emphysema.

I have found generators are like gun safes-get bigger than you think you need. I have a 5500w and wish it were a bit larger. When my 2 sump pumps kick on, it has to work, especially when the 2 refrigerators are running and I am watching tv and making a pizza.
    TSKnight, airslot and GpTom like this.

I do intend to get an electrician to install the interlock and whatever else is necessary to power it. I have installed a few outlets and light switches, but I'm not going to do something that requires a permit.

I wanted the duel fuel option just in case the gas stations aren't running. And gasoline gets old. Propane never does. I do need to find out how much power my AC unit is going to need to both run and start up. That's a necessity in Memphis. It was 93 today with 99 percent humidity. It's like living in a sauna. Ugh.
    GpTom likes this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Lionround, you might want to see if these guys can supply a fixed tank and refill service for you. They have a location in Memphis.

Gibson Propane
    lionround likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links