I really dislike companies who lecture me about how I should live

This is a discussion on I really dislike companies who lecture me about how I should live within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a distinct dislike for companies who try to tell me what my politics should be, how I should behave, etc. It's not just ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: I really dislike companies who lecture me about how I should live

I have a distinct dislike for companies who try to tell me what my politics should be, how I should behave, etc. It's not just the firearms thing either. Several months back, Gillette came out with their ads decrying what they consider to be "toxic masculinity." Then they tried to cover up their goof with a "we support the military" campaign. Sorry, I don't buy their stuff anymore....

Gillette Loses $8 Billion as Sales Drop Following Woke Commercials

Gillette experienced a whopping $8 billion write-down during its most recent quarter, the latest setback for the maker of razors and other personal grooming supplies.

Parent company Proctor & Gamble blamed the loss on currency fluctuations as well as the continued “market contraction” of blades and razors, primarily in developed markets as men continue to grow out their facial hair....

Gillette generated heated social media pushback earlier this year after it debuted a series of commercials that criticized masculinity and featured a transgender adolescent learning to shave.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...e-commercials/
    Hatchee, OD*, Wolf357 and 6 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

I think a lot of the reason for their loss of market share is companies like Harry's. Their razors are just as good as anything Gillette offers at about 1/3 the price. And their advertising is always good.

I have had issues with Procter and Gamble for years.
    Pete63, OD*, 5lima30ret and 4 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Maybe if they offer one of those pink stocking caps as a “Gift With Purchase” it will increase their sales.
    MMinSC, Sister, G26Raven and 1 others like this.
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

I'm sure the drop in sales is an accumulation of things, but their gaff sure didn't increase sales.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I think a lot of the reason for their loss of market share is companies like Harry's. Their razors are just as good as anything Gillette offers at about 1/3 the price. And their advertising is always good.

I have had issues with Procter and Gamble for years.
    I have been using Harrys for several years. I really like them and they come to my door.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I quit using Gillette right after those ads came out.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I have a distinct dislike for companies who try to tell me what my politics should be, how I should behave, etc. It's not just the firearms thing either. Several months back, Gillette came out with their ads decrying what they consider to be "toxic masculinity." Then they tried to cover up their goof with a "we support the military" campaign. Sorry, I don't buy their stuff anymore....

Gillette Loses $8 Billion as Sales Drop Following Woke Commercials

Gillette experienced a whopping $8 billion write-down during its most recent quarter, the latest setback for the maker of razors and other personal grooming supplies.

Parent company Proctor & Gamble blamed the loss on currency fluctuations as well as the continued “market contraction” of blades and razors, primarily in developed markets as men continue to grow out their facial hair....

Gillette generated heated social media pushback earlier this year after it debuted a series of commercials that criticized masculinity and featured a transgender adolescent learning to shave.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...e-commercials/
    I've used the Mach3 for years...

I'm clean shaven from the shoulders up (well, I still got eyebrows I guess) and no razor worked as well.

Switched to the orange and gray BIC semi-disposables after that stupid toxic masculinity crap.

Not as happy with the BIC, but they work and I'm glad to hear that Gillette/P&G have suffered financially because of it.

Will this teach other companies who choose to make stupid "woke" political stances not to do so?

p.s.

Also switched from the Gillette shaving cream to Barbasol; and that product is MUCH better for me FWIW.
    G26Raven, MMinSC, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    @G26Raven , But I KNOW you're perfectly happy with the "orders" I give you on firearms usage & what you MUST carry to be CORRECTLY equipped! Will be forwarding you "new orders" on your lifestyle next!
    MMinSC, Sister, OD* and 2 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Shopped for automobile lately? Most companies are pushing their version of a monitoring device that attaches (via OBD) port to your vehicles. It will record any sudden maneuvers or quick stops and starts for 90 days. Most of which are just normal events in city driving. Then you remove the device and mail it back to them. If you drive conservatively enough your rates will be discounted. A little bit. This is big brother at it's finest. I like to let the horses run once in while in my SRT Jeep GC. They would most likely need a change of underwear when they downloaded the records, if I fell for this tactic. Which I did not.
    joshputman, 5lima30ret and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    @G26Raven , But I KNOW you're perfectly happy with the "orders" I give you on firearms usage & what you MUST carry to be CORRECTLY equipped! Will be forwarding you "new orders" on your lifestyle next!
    Thanks! I needed that!
    Pete63 likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

VIP Member
    I use double edged blades, which cost $15-16 per hundred and not Gillette nor any of the others are gonna get in my pocket like that and then slap me in the face with false ethics and moral horse pucky. Each shave costs me less than 3 cents for the blade. If you keep your eye peeled, you can pick up 3 cents a day off the sidewalk.
    msgt/ret, Hasaf and G26Raven like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    If you keep your eye peeled, you can pick up 3 cents a day off the sidewalk.
    You assume we can bend over far enough to pick it up...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Although not as blatent, UA recently decided to get into the poli-social "include everyone" craze.

I stopped buying their stuff.
    G26Raven likes this.

$8 billion in sales lost? Good Lord, that's a lot. The shareholders must be calling for someone's head at Gillette.

Oh well. Can't say their ad lost my business because I switched to safety razors years ago. They accomplish the same result, for a lot less money.

Speaking of their snowflake ad, has anyone seen it recently?
    MMinSC likes this.

I refused to buy any Gillette products after that horrible ad, and for the most part I've limited if not completely eliminated buying any Proctor And Gamble products as a whole. They don't have a monopoly and there are plenty of good alternatives, cheaper ones too.
    Skidboot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links