Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty - Page 2

Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

This is a discussion on Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jmf552 There is another option. Every state has some sort of civil commitment law for "dangerousness." Those are different from red flag ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    There is another option. Every state has some sort of civil commitment law for "dangerousness." Those are different from red flag laws in that:
    • There is due process.
    • Psychological professionals are involved and they do examinations of the subject prior to action being taken. With red flag, that is almost always not the case.
    • The person is taken off the street until he is ready to be back on the street, again as judged by both the court and psyc. professionals.
    • The person gets help.
    • The person is in a healthcare setting, not a penal setting.
    • This is a civil proceeding, not a criminal one, so the issue with juvenile vs. adult is not an issue.

Depending on the state, the laws and funding for mental health care may need to be modified to make this effective for potential mass killers. But this is the right way to do it. This is basically the way things used to be handled before we had as many mass shooting problems as we have now. In the 1950's there were over 500,000 people committed in the US. Now, I have hear estimates as low as 20,000. the difference in those two numbers is what we should be worried about.
    This called a 5150. It used to be used quite a bit in the 70's and 80's. I used to haul people to Camarillo State Hospital back then (Part Time Job In College). Why don't we use a similar or same system?
    FAS1, airslot and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Once again for the nth time Nightly Brain Check says they find NO link to violent video games and these mass shootings. I call that bunk! No, I don't have evidence of this shooter being "IN TO THEM", but to say, in general "there's NO link" I find very hard to believe. BUT, I guess logic goes out the window, when it comes to a plausible link, in their eyes. Just like mentioned here, on about a half dozen threads, "breakdown of the family unit", & the "removal of ALL talk of religion at school & in public" IS A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR!

I guess this book that @G26Raven conned me into buying (sarcasm), is fiction.
    https://www.amazon.com/Assassination.../dp/147890979X
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

An element that exacerbates all the above, but especially those with unstable minds, is our culture's current propensity to allow and even view as admirable the name calling, in your face hate filled speech, and anything goes rhetoric that is so pervasive. One can also include the denigration of law and order. All of this encourages these shooters.
    airslot and Sister like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Assassination Generation should be required reading if only for the copious documentation cited.
    Pete63 and G26Raven like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    This called a 5150. It used to be used quite a bit in the 70's and 80's. I used to haul people to Camarillo State Hospital back then (Part Time Job In College). Why don't we use a similar or same system? [emphasis added]
    ...Because we no longer have Camarillo State Hospital, and, for that matter, almost any state or federal mental-health facility.

Up here in The Great North-Wet, we have exactly one–count them, one–overloaded and understaffed mental-health facility. There are no available beds there. Ever.

I believe that the mental-health-facility closings was the fault of LBJ, who also looted the Social Security trust fund, all of the freed-up money going to his "Guns and Butter" program of providing for both social-welfare handouts (to buy votes) and the Vietnam War.
    OldVet, G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

5150 Is still used here in Oregon. They just bring them to the Medical Center and lock them up there for the 72 hour hold and see what can be done during that time period. But I think we need to open up the mental hospitals. People need help.
    G26Raven, Sister and GpTom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    5150 Is still used here in Oregon. They just bring them to the Medical Center and lock them up there for the 72 hour hold and see what can be done during that time period. But I think we need to open up the mental hospitals. People need help.
    You will never again se the mental hospitals of days of yore. The bleeding hearts destroyed them forever and are now reaping their rewards for doing so. Now they are gently referred to as "homeless."
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I’m waiting for the gun hating liberals in Hollyweird to stop making movies that glorify violence and shooting. Not holding my breath for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You will never again se the mental hospitals of days of yore. The bleeding hearts destroyed them forever and are now reaping their rewards for doing so. Now they are gently referred to as "homeless."
    We call them urban outdoorsmen, homeless is such a divisive term.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Once again for the nth time Nightly Brain Check says they find NO link to violent video games and these mass shootings. I call that bunk! No, I don't have evidence of this shooter being "IN TO THEM", but to say, in general "there's NO link" I find very hard to believe. BUT, I guess logic goes out the window, when it comes to a plausible link, in their eyes. Just like mentioned here, on about a half dozen threads, "breakdown of the family unit", & the "removal of ALL talk of religion at school & in public" IS A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR!

I guess this book that @G26Raven conned me into buying (sarcasm), is fiction.
    https://www.amazon.com/Assassination.../dp/147890979X
    Mea culpa. I've been known to be a bad influence on any number of people.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Our insane school systems teach boys that being male is bad and medicate them into zombies so they won't "misbehave" which is progressive speak for being male. Then they try and get even young kids to "find themselves" and become another sex because you know its "normal"and all. Then as an added bonus your supposed to be riddled with some kind of "original guilt" because you were born white. Drugged up, guilt ridden and confused. No problem.

Senior Moderator
    Failed by the adults on so many levels. Just like the Parkland shooter.
    M1911A1, msgt/ret, FAS1 and 5 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Just a thought here. Maybe people who have used mind altering drugs or who can't pass a test for illegal drugs shouldn't have guns. Discuss that but no name calling. Especially names that you think describe me in any way. If there are no limiting factors then what good are background checks?
    What do most of these young male mass shooters have in common? Anyone remember psychiatrist Dr. Peter Breggin? I saw this before the recent shootings and he's been saying the same thing for years. Are we ready to finally listen? BTW, for the vast majority of people, I agree with his opinion.

Sister likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCT View Post
    I’m waiting for the gun hating liberals in Hollyweird to stop making movies that glorify violence and shooting. Not holding my breath for that to happen.
    Yea, should we start blaming Quentin Tarantino for his gun violent movies?
    Yet the same celebs who protect his 1st amendment rights want to step all over my 2nd amendment rights
    airslot, M1911A1 and JakeCT like this.

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Yea, should we start blaming Quentin Tarantino for his gun violent movies?
    Yet the same celebs who protect his 1st amendment rights want to step all over my 2nd amendment rights
    You are being way too logical, as are all of us.

The only way to understand the progs/libs/commies or whatever they’re called is to accept that THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT FACTS, LOGIC, OR RATIONALISM. Their mission is to confiscate firearms from all civilians and they will stop at nothing to complete the mission. Lie, cheat, obfuscate, steal, violence, you name it.

/rant over/
    JakeCT and Sister like this.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links