Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty - Page 3

Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

This is a discussion on Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, ignore the warning signs and reports in Parkland and Dayton. THEN, when the worst happens.... "Now we need Red Flag laws and to hell ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

So, ignore the warning signs and reports in Parkland and Dayton.

THEN, when the worst happens....

"Now we need Red Flag laws and to hell with due process!!"
    M1911A1, msgt/ret and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Just a thought here. Maybe people who have used mind altering drugs or who can't pass a test for illegal drugs shouldn't have guns. Discuss that but no name calling. Especially names that you think describe me in any way. If there are no limiting factors then what good are background checks?

BINGO! You win the internet today

It is the drugs, has been the whole time. Itís not guns.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    This called a 5150. It used to be used quite a bit in the 70's and 80's. I used to haul people to Camarillo State Hospital back then (Part Time Job In College). Why don't we use a similar or same system?
    Are we going to put every disruptive teenager through this? How about the football star that likes to get too handsy with girls? {now a state congressman} How about the guy who always dressed in black and gives everyone the creeps? {is now a sculptor} What about the kid that set off the cherry bomb on Mrs. Hall's fence? {has a trucking company with about 300 employees}

Teenagers make some poor decisions, but that doesn't mean that they are mentally troubled or need to be checked and the local institution. It is way too easy to have 20/20 on things AFTER the fact, but nobody has 20/20 BEFORE these things happen.
    Novarider likes this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Iím not sure what youíre suggesting. Itís not clear that any of whatís reported was a crime, and if so it was probably a misdemeanor. What response from authorities would have prevented him from shooting people, without violating his rights?
    This is spot on. Red flag laws are the ďsolutionĒ to what we keep referring to as a failure. We want there to be boundaries on when someone can lose their gun rights, but get upset with police when they follow the law. We canít have it both ways. Sometimes freedom has consequences, but giving up freedom also has consequences, which would be the abuse of these laws.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeCT View Post
    Iím waiting for the gun hating liberals in Hollyweird to stop making movies that glorify violence and shooting. Not holding my breath for that to happen.
    I will not spend money on any Liam Neeson movies ever again. He made so much money with his movies about goijgnaround the world and liking people, then has the nerve to call for gun control. I believe it was Para Ordinance thagbsaid he was no longer allowed to use their firearms in his movies.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Just a thought here. Maybe people who have used mind altering drugs or who can't pass a test for illegal drugs shouldn't have guns. Discuss that but no name calling. Especially names that you think describe me in any way. If there are no limiting factors then what good are background checks?
    What do we define as mind altering drugs? These days it seems like just about every kid if prescribed drugs to affect their behavior because we donít want to hurt the feelings of parents who arenít parenting.
    Nifty and maxwell97 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I agree that juvenile records should not be sealed. Back when I was working sex crimes and crimes against children, I found that most of the sex offenders had juvenile criminal records that often were very relevant to the case I was working. It varies somewhat from state to state but there are some "work arounds" to view them but usually can't be used in a trial. Just my .02 worth!
    flh likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Are we going to put every disruptive teenager through this? How about the football star that likes to get too handsy with girls? {now a state congressman} How about the guy who always dressed in black and gives everyone the creeps? {is now a sculptor} What about the kid that set off the cherry bomb on Mrs. Hall's fence? {has a trucking company with about 300 employees}

Teenagers make some poor decisions, but that doesn't mean that they are mentally troubled or need to be checked and the local institution. It is way too easy to have 20/20 on things AFTER the fact, but nobody has 20/20 BEFORE these things happen.
    We did not put every "Disruptive" teen through it then nor would we now. But things like the things the "Dayton" shooter did as a teen should have been looked into. A hit list? A rape list? That is a troubled mind. We had a troubled mind in high school. And everyone knew it. He joined the military, got shipped to Viet Nam and did some bad things to the VC. His platoon sergeant and his CO knew he was troubled. They used him, but when it was over he went to a certain "fort" in Kansas. Looking creepy or letting a M80 go off are childhood pranks. What was done back then to get you "Looked" at were not childhood pranks.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    So who do we make the red flag police to take care of all these troubled mind people? Surely, you we would not want to leave it up to school teachers. Parents aren't completely reliable. Can't count on the Church. Friends of the family aren't going to do it.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links