Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

This is a discussion on Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another case where warning signs from a teenager were not properly dealt with by family, school, or police. The Dayton shooter at age 17 was ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Dayton shooter demonstrated a troubled mind at age 17 and response was faulty

Distinguished Member

Another case where warning signs from a teenager were not properly dealt with by family, school, or police. The Dayton shooter at age 17 was suspended from HS for his kill and rape lists. Sandy Hook, Parkland HS, and now Dayton all done by men who were identified as troubled but nothing meaningful done in response.

The accounts by two former classmates emerged after police said there was nothing in the background of 24-year-old Connor Betts that would have prevented him from purchasing the .223-caliber rifle with extended ammunition magazines that he used to open fire outside a crowded bar. Police on patrol in the entertainment district fatally shot him less than a minute late

Both former classmates told The Associated Press that Betts was suspended during their junior year at suburban Bellbrook High School after a hit list was found scrawled in a school bathroom. That followed an earlier suspension after Betts came to school with a list of female students he wanted to sexually assault, according to the two classmates, a man and a woman who are both now 24 and spoke on condition of anonymity out of concern they might face harassment.
    Read here: https://apnews.com/83e222c2be834d1fb3b472f9f77aabb2
    flh, airslot, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

flh
    Betts had no apparent criminal record as an adult, though if he had been charged as a juvenile that would typically be sealed under state law.

“There’s nothing in this individual’s record that would have precluded him from getting these weapons,” Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said Sunday.

Unfortunately with a sealed juvenile record, nothing would come up in his background check...

Does anyone think that juvenile records should not be sealed, as this information could have possibly stopped him from purchasing a weapon ?

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Mental health has been the issue on most mass shootings. The public doesn’t see that they see guns a blazing.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Mental health is a huge factor in these shootings. Time and time again there were warning signs as juveniles with no action taken by adults in authority roles. We are living in a too soft generation where authority figures look to be friends first and will bypass reporting a kid because they don't want to hurt feelings.
    Pete63, airslot and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Another Incel, if I had to venture a guess.

Rotten and twisted to the core.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...h-warren-supp/

This basically negates the "Trump" factor.

Pro-Satan?
    NECCdude and Sister like this.

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting. It’s not clear that any of what’s reported was a crime, and if so it was probably a misdemeanor. What response from authorities would have prevented him from shooting people, without violating his rights?
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Ban sealed records...
    FAS1, RETSUPT99, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Red Flag Laws are unconstitutional. As we find out more about the Ohio shooter's youth, how should we address it? I mean besides shoot them in the face when needed.

More info here: https://www.boston.com/news/national...XmCHPQQDStQpso

I think there is going to enough appetite to do something. Seems similar to the failures of Parkland. Should having a hit list and a rape list qualify as a crime where you could lose some of your rights?
    Sister likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Red Flag Laws are unconstitutional. As we find out more about the Ohio shooter's youth, how should we address it? I mean besides shoot them in the face when needed.

More info here: https://www.boston.com/news/national...XmCHPQQDStQpso

I think there is going to enough appetite to do something. Seems similar to the failures of Parkland. Should having a hit list and a rape list qualify as a crime where you could lose some of your rights?

I look at it this way , would you want this guy living next door ?
    FAS1, Pete63 and airslot like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I look at it this way , would you want this guy living next door ?
    Who would? But then, there’s probably a lot of people who wouldn’t want to live next to me and my guns. How low are we going to set the bar for taking away rights?

End of the day, there are two ways for LE to prevent attacks like this: arrest people who don’t think the right way, or remove everyone’s capability to commit them by harsh restrictions on guns, as well as cars, chemicals, pressurized gas, and so on. Neither of them are acceptable in a free society. If there’s a solution, it’s cultural, not physical.
    Nifty, kerberos, Hoganbeg and 4 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Another Incel, if I had to venture a guess.

Rotten and twisted to the core.
    I never heard of these, & had to look them up. I'd say, killing his sister equal's, or surpasses them. In reading about them, it reminded me of the movie characters from "The World According To Garp". Helen James followers. Different, but still sick! At least the John Irving book was fiction.
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Who would? But then, there’s probably a lot of people who wouldn’t want to live next to me and my guns. How low are we going to set the bar for taking away rights?

End of the day, there are two ways for LE to prevent attacks like this: arrest people who don’t think the right way, or remove everyone’s capability to commit them by harsh restrictions on guns, as well as cars, chemicals, pressurized gas, and so on. Neither of them are acceptable in a free society. If there’s a solution, it’s cultural, not physical.
    There is another option. Every state has some sort of civil commitment law for "dangerousness." Those are different from red flag laws in that:
    • There is due process.
    • Psychological professionals are involved and they do examinations of the subject prior to action being taken. With red flag, that is almost always not the case.
    • The person is taken off the street until he is ready to be back on the street, again as judged by both the court and psyc. professionals.
    • The person gets help.
    • The person is in a healthcare setting, not a penal setting.
    • This is a civil proceeding, not a criminal one, so the issue with juvenile vs. adult is not an issue.

Depending on the state, the laws and funding for mental health care may need to be modified to make this effective for potential mass killers. But this is the right way to do it. This is basically the way things used to be handled before we had as many mass shooting problems as we have now. In the 1950's there were over 500,000 people committed in the US. Now, I have hear estimates as low as 20,000. the difference in those two numbers is what we should be worried about.
    FAS1, msgt/ret, Hoganbeg and 4 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Just a thought here. Maybe people who have used mind altering drugs or who can't pass a test for illegal drugs shouldn't have guns. Discuss that but no name calling. Especially names that you think describe me in any way. If there are no limiting factors then what good are background checks?
    Marc_Brooks, JakeCT and Sister like this.

MJK
    I will go out on a limb here and state these events cannot be prevented in a free society. That said, armed citizens can intervene quickly to limit the damage. And the perps can be dealt with quickly and harshly...in anonymity.

Bottom line...we can’t predict the next shooter with high confidence so we should rethink how we deal with them.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links