How hot actually, is hell? - Page 2

How hot actually, is hell?

This is a discussion on How hot actually, is hell? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's ONLY 92 in Memphis today but with the humidity, we have a heat index of 105. I don't know where Sister and CWO are ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: How hot actually, is hell?

It's ONLY 92 in Memphis today but with the humidity, we have a heat index of 105. I don't know where Sister and CWO are moving to upon retirement, but I am considering almost anywhere but Memphis, New Orleans or Houston.
    OldChap and Sister like this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Dang, just counted FIVE days of 100 (f) here with two of 99 on each side and they haven’t even added heat index yet! “Houston, I believe we have a problem”

Amazing, God will get you for complaining if things are to hot or to cold. After all is said and done I’ll never complain about heat again.

....for 40 years...around and around thee mountain they went...living on manna day after day...
    I was amazed that it was still 82 at 3 A.M. when I was in Houston last week.
    Sister likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Houston is a piece of cake.

We went through several days when it hit 121 degrees in the shade visiting in Terlingua. People got 2nd degree burns walking barefooted. We had a thermometer in the car and it registered 142 after 10 minutes parked with the windows up.

Of course, the humidity was only 4% which makes it a life threatening problem. My dad wanted to play golf in Lajitas and several holes there are right next to the Rio Grande river. You could see the steam floating up off the surface. People have no idea how dangerous those ultra low humidity / high heat days are. You can get dehydrated in as little as 30 minutes! And you never sweat - it evaporates before you even get damp.
    Sister, msgt/ret, airslot and 1 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    It's ONLY 92 in Memphis today but with the humidity, we have a heat index of 105. I don't know where Sister and CWO are moving to upon retirement, but I am considering almost anywhere but Memphis, New Orleans or Houston.

N AR and N/E part of MO. Small towns, less than 20,000. Low crime, low taxes, constitutional carry laws, land prices very good.

You gonna be our neighbor?
    lionround likes this.
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

Terlingua? With salt and a lemon wedge?
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member

I hadn't been back to the Lajitas / Study Butte area since that time. I just noticed on Google Earth that the golf course must have gotten washed away in the last big flood they had. Actually it looks like part of it got washed away. They used to have 18 holes IIRC.

One of the biggest tourist attractions is a pet donkey who lives in the bar most of the time, wears a straw hat, and drinks Tequila when people buy him a drink. Now that is a low crime rate area.

Sorry...Maybe the donkey died. It is a GOAT and the name of the saloon is "The Thirsty Goat" now. I hate it when memory fails!
    Last edited by OldChap; August 7th, 2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Memory Fails!
    Sister and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I spent about three-four months in Bay City, TX. I gotta say, the heat plus humidity sure made it rough on us Colorado boys working at that nuclear power house nearby for Houston Light and Power.
    Sister and OldChap like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Hell is the taxes you will pay in the northern states. Trust me X New Yorker from upstate mountain country. Taxes are 80 percent higher. Heating oil 300 dollars a month plus electric. Propane another 100.00 a month. Hell is liberal country.

Wait till you experience over 2 months on 100+ degrees.
    Welcome to the Metroplex
    Sister and OldChap like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    N AR and N/E part of MO. Small towns, less than 20,000. Low crime, low taxes, constitutional carry laws, land prices very good.

You gonna be our neighbor?
    I might be. That sounds pretty good. I don't know much about either part or Ark or Mo, but maybe I need to do some research.
    Sister likes this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I've summered in Qatar, Kuwait, Irag, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. None were pleassnt but Qatar was the worst as you had the humidity of the gulf. My record is 143 farenheit and probably 80+ humidity.
    Sister, msgt/ret, OldChap and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    It's 73 here , windows are open a slight breeze
    You’ll pay for that - in January. :D
    Sister likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

What gets me is when the temp never drops below 100 at night.

None of this matters...we now have less than 12 years.
    Sister, msgt/ret and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    None of this matters...we now have less than 12 years.

😆 good one!

UDC member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links