The Bull goes to pasture - Page 2

The Bull goes to pasture

This is a discussion on The Bull goes to pasture within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 1942bull This evening my realtor called to tell me my that he had closed a deal on my house for for more ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: The Bull goes to pasture

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    This evening my realtor called to tell me my that he had closed a deal on my house for for more than the asking price, and that he had a cerified check deposit with an agreement of sale on his desk. The one condition is that settlement be no later than October 15. I told him to deposit the check in the escrow account. and send me whatever paperwork I had to execute.

So now I have to decide where to move, get a place, clear out 45 years of stuff in this house and get ready to move on in life. It is daunting and exciting. Habitat for Humanity is about to get a bonanza of furniture and household items. My two cats are going to go bonkers as things change. I am going to have little free time between now and settlement. Hell, I am not sure if I want to change states let alone what kind of dwelling to mob=ve into. This is exciting in a perversesortof way.

Anyway this means my forum time is going to be reduced to reading when I have time and the inclination. With the gun and government politics brewing I might be escaping the reaction here as a result. The bottom line is that I will be growing very inactive here over days and weeks to come, and I do not wan to leave an impression that my participation decline was a reaction to anything in the Forum. It is the best forum I have ever participated in. I know I will be back at some point but between now and then I am going to be deeply involved in mobving on to the next part of my life.

Thank to all who have made this an enjoyable and sometimes challenging experience. Semper Fi.
    Good luck on finding your new roosting place.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    Congratulations, 1942bull, and I hope you find a place that is everything you want. My wife and I just did just that. We researched for a couple of years deciding where to go, then another year getting the right area and waiting for the right house. It is, as you noted, a daunting task. We went from roughly 4800 square feet to 2100. Yard sale, estate sale, habitat, and we still had neighbors helping us get rid of stuff we just couldn't take the day we moved.

My old cat, Lilly, was 21 years old, and quite frail. We found an animal hospital/boarding place that met our requirements and put her there for a couple of weeks while we set up the new place. She was quiet content, and fell into her routine at the new place almost immediately with her familiar stuff. She was quite happy to be an Arizona cat. The two Chihuahua mixes love Arizona, the lizards, quail, and rabbits!

We also found a nice close RV park where we stayed in the travel trailer for a month while we set up the house, etc. Our choice of move was the PODS system. It is quite expensive, but works out well in that you don't have to do it all in one day. We filled 3 pods and had them delivered staggered, and I was able to unload and move everything in more or less at my leisure, a real blessing for an old man.

All in all, it was a lot of work, but careful planning, and sticking to that plan, made things go quite smoothly. There were a couple of hitches in the get along, but it all came together quite well. The biggest was a fire door which had to be replaced in the new place (had a pet door cut into it) but the door was not available for two weeks - my woodworking skills came in handy there and I had a new available door in, in a modified frame, in a day.

My only word of advise is - if you can live without it, leave it - we still have a garage full of stuff we don't know what to do with. (Yes, it's my wife's craft stuff mostly)
    Old Man and bmcgilvray like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on getting a good price for your house! YES, you definitely will be missed and I know I'm also looking forward to hearing your progress in moving as you have time to share it.

One time when we moved I didn't have the heart to go through the "will you take (half price) for this?" garbage you get when you have a garage sale and I donated almost everything to the local Rotary Club for their annual "garage sale" event. The remainder went to a woman who had a resale store. There was no Habitat back then where we lived.

From then on I had garage sales, and Habitat was always great about coming afterward and hauling everything away. You do need to phone them ahead of time to schedule a pick up though. They are not on demand.

We still wound up with more than we needed in our new abode, each and every time. Habitat to the rescue once more!

Blessings to you in your monumental task!
    Old Man and bmcgilvray like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Congratulations!

Have a safe move and will look forward to your return

God Bless 🙏
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Distinguished Member
    I started this thread about “going to pasture” (as in not being here for a while) as I looked for new digs since my house is sold and settlement is in October. It is a big relief to say that I have now made all the arrangements necessary. After considering where to move I decided I most wanted to be in the same area where I currently live. I know the area. We have four seasonal variations, which I really like. Cost of living is very manageable. I have good friends in the area. So it dawned upon that I should just stay in the area.
    I even have found my new residence, a small house not from my current house, half the size, and costing me half of what my house has sold for. Will settle on the new house on the same day a settlement on my current house. I will move into the new downsized digs on October 1. So for better for for worse I am back and glad to be here.
    yooper71, Poorly, Old Man and 1 others like this.

Congrats on the sale. Hope you find a great place to move to.
    Been in present home over 27 years told wife only way to move me out will be feet first or if we hit the lotto.
    Then taking guns, pictures and hobby stuff. Leave everything else behind.
    Old Man likes this.

Congratulations! Check in when you can and best of luck. We'll catch you on the flip side.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

This evening my realtor called to tell me my that he had closed a deal on my house for for more than the asking price, and that he had a cerified check deposit with an agreement of sale on his desk. The one condition is that settlement be no later than October 15. I told him to deposit the check in the escrow account. and send me whatever paperwork I had to execute.

So now I have to decide where to move, get a place, clear out 45 years of stuff in this house and get ready to move on in life. It is daunting and exciting. Habitat for Humanity is about to get a bonanza of furniture and household items. My two cats are going to go bonkers as things change. I am going to have little free time between now and settlement. Hell, I am not sure if I want to change states let alone what kind of dwelling to mob=ve into. This is exciting in a perversesortof way.

Anyway this means my forum time is going to be reduced to reading when I have time and the inclination. With the gun and government politics brewing I might be escaping the reaction here as a result. The bottom line is that I will be growing very inactive here over days and weeks to come, and I do not wan to leave an impression that my participation decline was a reaction to anything in the Forum. It is the best forum I have ever participated in. I know I will be back at some point but between now and then I am going to be deeply involved in mobving on to the next part of my life.

Thank to all who have made this an enjoyable and sometimes challenging experience. Semper Fi.
    There's a nice home on 12+ acres near me for a really decent price. Cowtown is in a very gun-friendly state.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    There's a nice home on 12+ acres near me for a really decent price. Cowtown is in a very gun-friendly state.
    The only Cowtown I know is in NJ. I would not be buried in NJ let alone live there.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

The only Cowtown I know is in NJ. I would not be buried in NJ let alone live there.
    Whats wrong with y'all.
    Everyone knows Cowtown is is Texas, have y'all never heard of Fort Worth?
    New Jersey! Get a rope!
    Old Chap will back me up on this
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Whats wrong with y'all.
    Everyone knows Cowtown is is Texas, have y'all never heard of Fort Worth?
    New Jersey! Get a rope!
    Old Chap will back me up on this
    Oh yeah, Fort Worth. That is a where to gold is. But I like PA because I do not have to memorize what posted gun signs mean what. Here in PA signs do not have the weight of law. And Open Carry has been legal since the State Constitution was approved in 1776. As for getting a rope, I failed know tying in the boy scouts. Actually I like Texas and have been there many times over the years, but Austin is my favorite place. It ha a hell of a main street
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Oh yeah, Fort Worth. That is a where to gold is. But I like PA because I do not have to memorize what posted gun signs mean what. Here in PA signs do not have the weight of law. And Open Carry has been legal since the State Constitution was approved in 1776. As for getting a rope, I failed know tying in the boy scouts. Actually I like Texas and have been there many times over the years, but Austin is my favorite place. It ha a hell of a main street
    Yea, that would be Fort Knox. But some say there is no gold in there either.
    I like your gun laws in PA also and wish we had similar laws down here.
    As for the Get a Rope comment that is from a Pace Picante sauce commercial that ran down here when some cowboys found out that the picante cookie was feeding them came from NJ. Was funny
    1942bull and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the sale of your home.

I went through something similar last year but was able to negotiate a lease back to give me time to set up the move. I only thought I had gotten rid of a ton of stuff and realized how much I had when it got offloaded at my new house (and after I got the bill for amount over the original estimate). Good luck on your purge, decisions to be made, purchase/lease of your new digs, and finally the move.
    1942bull, Old Man and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sorry, but the vacant lot next to me just sold.

Lucky for him ....
    Poorly, OldVet and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E9
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Well, this place is in the Bluegrass state, and my cowtown is about an hour southwest of Cincinnati. I'm with you on the NJ thing, though.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links