What would you do?

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How would you respond if you were in this situation? For emphasis, keep in mind, these are reported as young teens. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...thglenn-police...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

What would you do?

How would you respond if you were in this situation? For emphasis, keep in mind, these are reported as young teens.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...thglenn-police
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    Disparity of force is just that.
    gasmitty, DaGunny, MMinSC and 5 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Sponsor
    It depends
    OneGunTX and airslot like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Defend myself if necessary...
    Doghandler likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Outnumbered and attacked with more than one impact weapon? If retreat isn't possible, this senior citizen would likely have to resort to deadly physical force. If the story had reported the attackers used a baseball bat and an axe handle, would those seem more threatening then a skateboard and a scooter?

Head impacts resulting in loss of consciousness are potentially far more serious than simple cuts and bruises. If the victim had resorted to deadly force, from the skimpy details available it seems warranted.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Outnumbered and attacked with more than one impact weapon? If retreat isn't possible, this senior citizen would likely have to resort to deadly physical force. If the story had reported the attackers used a baseball bat and an axe handle, would those seem more threatening then a skateboard and a scooter?

Head impacts resulting in loss of consciousness are potentially far more serious than simple cuts and bruises. If the victim had resorted to deadly force, from the skimpy details available it seems warranted.
    +1

If I was physically attacked by a group of 7-12 teenagers, I would do whatever I needed to do to defend myself. Doubly so if my wife was with me. This is the way we're growing 'em in this country these days, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.
    M1911A1 and goldshellback like this.

It would be a difficult situation if you had to use lethal force to defend yourself. The media would portray them as angels, especially if they are minorities. Public sentiment would be against you

That said, there might be some blood on the ground that ainít mine
    airslot likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Years ago, I was being surrounded by a group of "youths" in a hick town gas station dirt parking lot ( I recounted it here at the time). Seeing the tactic for what it was, I shifted from CC to OC (legal in NC) by lifting my vest & tucking it behind the sweat guard. Oddly enough they lost all interest in me and my motorcycle and departed the area. I immediately called 911 & reported the incident and detailed the encounter. The responding LEO said that he was "familiar" with the youths and let me go on my way.

To answer the OP's question, I would start with shifting to OC. If that didn't do the trick...I'm not going to take a beating for anyone's amusement. If they insist, it will be a costly endeavor for them.
    airslot and goldshellback like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Years ago, I was being surrounded by a group of "youths" in a hick town gas station dirt parking lot ( I recounted it here at the time). Seeing the tactic for what it was, I shifted from CC to OC (legal in NC) by lifting my vest & tucking it behind the sweat guard. Oddly enough they lost all interest in me and my motorcycle and departed the area. I immediately called 911 & reported the incident and detailed the encounter. The responding LEO said that he was "familiar" with the youths and let me go on my way.

To answer the OP's question, I would start with shifting to OC. If that didn't do the trick...I'm not going to take a beating for anyone's amusement. If they insist, it will be a costly endeavor for them.
    And some folks say OC isn't a deterrent.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

@Bikenut One of the reasons I CC is to not upset the delicate sensibilities of the little fragile flowers among us. Those "youths" were pack hunters thinking the had found prey. Instead they discovered an old man who is otherwise peaceful can be an apex predator when the need arises.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

The first one to swing something at me would have to be able to digest it and so on ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The article is pretty sparse. For all we know the victim was a child sex predator looking for a hookup?

Northglenn looks like a rough town.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

The details are scarce. My best answer is that it depends on the chain of events. In a situation where I am being slammed with skateboards and scooters by 7-12 kids, I would like draw my weapon and back away to put distance between me and them. Whether I shoot now depends on what the kids do next. If they run, I call the police. If one kid advances towards me or hits me, well, I would likely shoot him. If the kids then scatter, I'd call for an ambulance for the kid and then call the LEO. If the kids don't scatter, well, it will likely get real ugly.

It all depends on the chain of events. There is no easy, one-size-fits-all answer.
    M1911A1, airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

"The witness told officers that 7-12 boys in their early teens chased the victim and surrounded him, hitting him with a scooter and a skateboard and then kicking him several times.[/quote]

Would I have shot them? No. Drawn my firearm? Probably. Given then verbal commands? Absolutely. Fired in self-defense if they attacked me? Likely.

The victim was taken to a hospital, where he remained in serious condition Saturday.
    That's pretty serious.

"leaving the victim unconscious"
    It doesn't take much of a head injury to result in death. That's far worse than "pretty serious."

Hopes and prayers for the victim.

I sincerely hope they catch and prosecute the perpetrators. In all my years of hanging around with a number of groups of teens out on the town since age 10, I never once encountered others who would do physical harm to others.

I was brought up right. My friends were brought up right. Most kids are brought up right.

These kids were not.
    M1911A1 and airslot like this.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links