The real story about the expensive "space" pen...

This is a discussion on The real story about the expensive "space" pen... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No reflection on anyone intended here, this is just one of those many misconceptions about things. There's a myth running around about an expensive space ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 8 Post By Tangle
  • 2 Post By HotBrass45
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By yooper71

Thread: The real story about the expensive "space" pen...

Lead Moderator

No reflection on anyone intended here, this is just one of those many misconceptions about things.

There's a myth running around about an expensive space pen. It goes that NASA or some engineering firm developed some pen at a huge expense - not true. The bottom line is Fischer independently spent $1,000,000 developing the pen - NASA bought 400 of them from Fischer for $1,000 - that's $2.50 per pen.

When this comes up, it also comes up that Russia used a pencil in space, as did American astronauts BTW, prior to the development of the pen. The following article explains all this and why the Russians soon switched to the pen also.

https://kottke.org/13/10/the-myth-of...ive-space-pens
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Thanks for posting this. I had heard the fake story many times and suspected there was more to the story. I assumed NASA did not want to use a pencil in space for the same reason that we don't use pencils in our Class 10,000 clean room at work - there is simply too much debris.
    Tangle and yooper71 like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Man, you really know how to ruin a good engineering legend, er, joke.
    Tangle likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Man, you really know how to ruin a good engineering legend, er, joke.
    LOL, Hmmm, engineering legend - maybe I shouldn't have posted this - I just messed up a good engineering legend single handedly, I wish I had thought that through more
    OldVet, yooper71 and airslot like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    LOL, Hmmm, engineering legend - maybe I shouldn't have posted this - I just messed up a good engineering legend single handedly, I wish I had thought that through more
    Well, there are good legends . . . and then there are bad legends. Quite the dilemma.
    Tangle likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Bought that pen many years ago, think it was $10. I really didn't buy it cause it was a space pen, i bought for the fact that it writes when wet and it does that very well, to an extent. Was it worth the price, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I had heard the fake story many times and suspected there was more to the story. I assumed NASA did not want to use a pencil in space for the same reason that we don't use pencils in our Class 10,000 clean room at work - there is simply too much debris.
    Didnít read the article, but that would have been my thinking also. Especially without gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Please donít take Tang away from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.

I got a Space Pen as a gift years ago. Thought it was pretty neat at first, because the rounded ends wouldn't poke holes in my pants pocket, and it wrote well.

Then it started "blobbing" when I wrote and making a mess of the paper. Shortly after, the cartridge blew up in my pocket and ruined a pair of dress pants and stained my skin for days. Never will have one again.

Sponsored Links