Bulletproof doors in schools - Page 2

Bulletproof doors in schools

This is a discussion on Bulletproof doors in schools within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GpTom Setting a fire to kill people would take all of the fun out of going to school to shoot a bunch ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bulletproof doors in schools

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Setting a fire to kill people would take all of the fun out of going to school to shoot a bunch of people. But you are right that if somebody wants to kill people they will find a way.
    Sadly, there is a certain amount of truth to this. Killing people is one thing, but the second and third order effects of the murder is what makes killing people with guns so much different than anything else.

Fire as a weapon? Those deaths don’t count!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire
    GpTom likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    My son was in a hospital in Florida for a spot on his lung and they had guards with metal detectors in the hall as you entered. When you took a wrong turn, right away, somebody would notice that you were out of place and they would ask you where your trying to go and they would direct you how to get there. Most of the time they would walk with you part of the way. At first I thought that they were really being helpful but then I realized that nobody could wander around without being noticed and that made it high security. If they just had armed guards at these schools at times when the main doors were open for students then that would be a big deterrent. I haven't heard yet of a shooter that had to break a door down to get into the school.
    All the hospitals around me are that way. While "technically" not illegal to CC in them, most anyhow, you're not getting past the guard and detectors. I like to mess with them at the check-in desk. They want DLs to scan, I give them my Mil ID. It throws them for a loop because it doesn't scan.
    GpTom and airslot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    So why can't schools do the same thing?
    Utah solved the 'school shooter problem' by allowing ANYONE with a carry permit to carry in all schools, and no need to ask for permission.
    TimGunn and airslot like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

The door may be bulletproof. But are the rest of the walls in the classroom going to stop a bullet...NO

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I don't know about this product, but I have always thought better physical security should be a part of defending high-risk institutions from active shooters. My wife has a friend, who is not rich, by any means, but she still budgets to put her son in a private school. There were many attractions to this school, but one of them is that to get in the building after classes start requires a person to swipe a card at the heavy front door. Staff, students and parents are issued ID cards. When they swipe, their information and ID picture come up on a screen in the office, along with a live picture of them from the door camera. If the ID and face don't match, they don't get in.
    I attended a seminar a few years back by a Col. Grossman; and of his many excellent points on who and what are the bad peeps' targets, classrooms with poorly locking or easily defeated door was a biggie with him. And of course, secure entryways are not not the complete solution, but they are an effective part of a comprehensive planning, preparedness and response plan.

jmf552 and Havok like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Senior Moderator
    Secure doors? One fire alarm takes out that protection.
    airslot, OldVet and Havok like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

After Parkland my wife's school put in expensive new security doors to prevent people from accessing the school through the front office.
    The Principal scoffed at her when she questioned the effectiveness, so she jumped onto and over the front desk and walked to her classroom while he sat there in silence.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Utah solved the 'school shooter problem' by allowing ANYONE with a carry permit to carry in all schools, and no need to ask for permission.
    So far...
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    How about a system that locks the doors and then floods the hallways with Nitros Oxide? Perp wakes up in cuffs wondering "WTH happened".
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    How about a system that locks the doors and then floods the hallways with Nitros Oxide? Perp wakes up in cuffs wondering "WTH happened".
    Students would be setting the system off every hour...

My daughters college has BP glass doors on the theatre. ALL the other glass around them are normal tempered...So useless. And no one sees it.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I am not sure they solved the school shooter problem exactly. It isn't as if they have had a lot of school shootings. Of the 6 shootings they have had since 1919, one was by a night watchman guarding a school, one was an accident (blanks were supposed to be used), and one was by a negligent discharge by a teacher.

1919 - Permission given to discharge guns during an assembly, but they were supposed to be loaded with blanks. One teacher was shot in the foot (accidental).
    1920 - Night watchman shot a trespasser at a school during the night, claimed he shot into air as warning shot.
    1989 - Student tried to shoot principal and missed.
    2014 - Teacher's negligent discharge killed a toilet and fragged her leg.
    2016 - One student intentionally shot another student on the playground
    2016 - Student shot into ceiling and then pointed gun at self, no injuries.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links