Bulletproof doors in schools

This is a discussion on Bulletproof doors in schools within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The doors are each 150 pounds and made of galvanized steel, with metal bars for reinforcement and a bullet-resistant window. The doors lock easily from ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bulletproof doors in schools

The doors are each 150 pounds and made of galvanized steel, with metal bars for reinforcement and a bullet-resistant window. The doors lock easily from the inside, but weapons cannot be used to penetrate them from the outside, according to the company.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/0...oof-doors.html
    GpTom likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

I think I could make a bullet-proof door that weighed less than 150 pounds. Sounds like overkill. Cheaper too. Might be some fire safety issues with it.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Well, that should keep the shooters safely inside.
    What a waste of money...IMHO
    msgt/ret, baren, viney266 and 2 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: ďThe prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.Ē

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I don't know about this product, but I have always thought better physical security should be a part of defending high-risk institutions from active shooters. My wife has a friend, who is not rich, by any means, but she still budgets to put her son in a private school. There were many attractions to this school, but one of them is that to get in the building after classes start requires a person to swipe a card at the heavy front door. Staff, students and parents are issued ID cards. When they swipe, their information and ID picture come up on a screen in the office, along with a live picture of them from the door camera. If the ID and face don't match, they don't get in.
    DZUS and airslot like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment.

Suppose you do manage to lock the shooter out in the hall with kids safely behind the locked door. Suppose said shooter has a rifle and decides to unload a mag through the WALL?
    GpTom, flh, airslot and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Iíve seen this, and other methods of locking doors, all of which are pointless. They wonít keep the bad guys out. In fact, it will be the students and teachers who will open the doors up for the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Suppose you do manage to lock the shooter out in the hall with kids safely behind the locked door. Suppose said shooter has a rifle and decides to unload a mag through the WALL?
    Or window.
    OldChap and baren like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

This was discussed in the Active Shooter seminar I took. The shooter might well shoot through the wall. He might get some people that way. But he will get far fewer than if he had something to aim at. Also shooters get off on seeing their victims hit. This robs him of that. Finally, in that seminar we were taught that there are places in the room a shooter is less likely to shoot through the wall. Students and staff should be trained on that. It's not perfect, but it could still be part of the solution. There is not going to be one quick-fix for this.
    airslot and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

All newly built hospitals have to have bulletproof doors in the ICU. I don't know if it is state or fed law. We are a hospital that just so happens to have said doors. They don't weigh 150 lbs. They are impressive, and look like wood. We had a person kick in the previous doors in a fit of rage and threaten everyone. I also know that the hospital is looking to replace all Fire doors with bulletproof. So if there ever is another "Situation" they can lockdown the hospital. So why can't schools do the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    . So why can't schools do the same thing?

$$$$$$ It would blow budgets out the window to do something like this!!

Everyone wants security, but nobody wants to pay higher taxes to do it. Football team is more important and gets more money when needed, but not security for all the students.

My DIL is a school teacher and told me that one of the outside doors near her classroom has a card reader on it , but has been not working (doesn't lock) for over a year, even with her reporting it several times.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    How about we work on teaching the next generation the value of a humans life.
    How about we go back and teach morals, civics, the Golden Rule or can I dare say The Ten Commandments.
    If you bring God back into school you may not need bullet proof doors
    Havok, airslot and bullet183 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    All newly built hospitals have to have bulletproof doors in the ICU. I don't know if it is state or fed law. We are a hospital that just so happens to have said doors. They don't weigh 150 lbs. They are impressive, and look like wood. We had a person kick in the previous doors in a fit of rage and threaten everyone. I also know that the hospital is looking to replace all Fire doors with bulletproof. So if there ever is another "Situation" they can lockdown the hospital. So why can't schools do the same thing?
    Can you cite a source for that requirement for ICUís? My wife works in an ICU and has never heard of this. Perhaps itís a California law? As far as the weight of the doors, armor is heavy.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I don't know about this product, but I have always thought better physical security should be a part of defending high-risk institutions from active shooters. My wife has a friend, who is not rich, by any means, but she still budgets to put her son in a private school. There were many attractions to this school, but one of them is that to get in the building after classes start requires a person to swipe a card at the heavy front door. Staff, students and parents are issued ID cards. When they swipe, their information and ID picture come up on a screen in the office, along with a live picture of them from the door camera. If the ID and face don't match, they don't get in.
    Wouldn't a Ring doorbell have been cheaper?
    KILTED COWBOY and Havok like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment ... said shooter has a rifle and decides to unload a mag through the WALL?
    First thing I thought of, then I figured it would be easier to set fire to the place.
    OldChap likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    My son was in a hospital in Florida for a spot on his lung and they had guards with metal detectors in the hall as you entered. When you took a wrong turn, right away, somebody would notice that you were out of place and they would ask you where your trying to go and they would direct you how to get there. Most of the time they would walk with you part of the way. At first I thought that they were really being helpful but then I realized that nobody could wander around without being noticed and that made it high security. If they just had armed guards at these schools at times when the main doors were open for students then that would be a big deterrent. I haven't heard yet of a shooter that had to break a door down to get into the school.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skolnick View Post
    First thing I thought of, then I figured it would be easier to set fire to the place.
    Setting a fire to kill people would take all of the fun out of going to school to shoot a bunch of people. But you are right that if somebody wants to kill people they will find a way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links