Some Perspective

Some Perspective

This is a discussion on Some Perspective within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today in the United States, about 1,800 people are going to die of heart disease. Nearly 1,700 will die of cancer. About 440 will die ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Some Perspective

VIP Member

Some Perspective

Today in the United States, about 1,800 people are going to die of heart disease.

Nearly 1,700 will die of cancer.

About 440 will die of lower respiratory disease (smoking related non-cancer)

Four hundred more from strokes.

About ninety are going to die of gunshot wounds, accidental, deliberate and suicidal.

We have some serious public health issues in this country, with guns being waaaaaay down on the overal list.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

And about 80 of that 90 in Chicago.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Medical errors are also up there: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

On the low side that's about 700 a day. Just because they make errors doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water and not go to a doctor or hospital when you need one. Likewise, guns are used far more for good than evil. It's just a tool...it doesn't mean I'm not going to use one because some wicked guy used one to commit an atrocity (not a tragedy).

Might as well throw opiate OD's on that list too.
    Pete63 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And about 80 of that 90 in Chicago.
    I included suicides in that approximation, so the actual number is even lower.

Unfortunately logic and facts have no impact upon those caught up in the gun control agenda driven emotional sensationalism.
    airslot likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Unfortunately logic and facts have no impact upon those caught up in the gun control agenda driven emotional sensationalism.
    I'm not so sure. I have had three morbidly obese anti-gunners try to engage me lately on "the gun crisis". The heart attack stat shut down the would-be spirited debate rather quickly.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson (physicist) made a tweet the other day with similar statistics. After he tweeted the information, he was eviscerated by social media and the story (mostly about the social outcry) made the news. How dare he take a scientific and logical approach to examine a situation.
    Bill801, Pete63 and airslot like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I included suicides in that approximation, so the actual number is even lower.
    What I meant was, whatever that number turns out to be, the majority will be in cesspools like Chicago.
    Mike1956 and airslot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What I meant was, whatever that number turns out to be, the majority will be in cesspools like Chicago.
    True. These numbers are a bit old, but still very telling:

Putting Gun Death Statistics in Perspective

"According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011. That means that there were just 2,200 non gang-related firearm murders in both years in a country of over 300 million people and 250 million guns."

Charting actual deaths vs. media: https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...vs_news_media/
    Mike1956 likes this.

Here is perspective

There are 340,000,000 people in the US. (not sure about how many more are illegal)

Two go off and do something nuts and people want a rewrite of the US Constitution. Two, not 100, not 500, TWO.

What is wrong with that picture?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Here is perspective

There are 340,000,000 people in the US. (not sure about how many more are illegal)

Two go off and do something nuts and people want a rewrite of the US Constitution. Two, not 100, not 500, TWO.

What is wrong with that picture?
    The demands for gun restrictions get rolled out every time there is an event that follows the story board. Unfortunately, lately they have adding Trump and Republicans as a causal factor in each event. White supremecy, white nationalism and heck, xenophobia, and even the misogyny of the Incels who are shooting to place up are being dumped right at our feet. All that said, it doesn't change one iota who is actually killing who by the thousands each year, and why. Unless, of course they can somehow link the disproportionate number of black on black and gang related homicides on that racist Trump and his bigoted, unenlightened supporters.

VIP Member
    @Mike1956 Those figures are perhaps helpful when talking to anti people one on one. However, those of us here know that the whole gun control push has nothing at all to do with guns, but is a serious attempt to gain total control of the population. This is a process that began decades ago and made a lot of progress over all the years since. It is coming to a head in the here and now. I do not believe that the vast majority of the population realizes that - even a little bit.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    @Mike1956 Those figures are perhaps helpful when talking to anti people one on one. However, those of us here know that the whole gun control push has nothing at all to do with guns, but is a serious attempt to gain total control of the population. This is a process that began decades ago and made a lot of progress over all the years since. It is coming to a head in the here and now. I do not believe that the vast majority of the population realizes that - even a little bit.
    In several of the circles I travel, I am the only 2A-supporting, gun-knowledgeable person in the conversation. That has certainly been the case with my congregation, which the board members held their collective noses and voted to authorize me to carry in synagogue.

Personally, I feel that many of those we have paid our lifetime dues to and those we helped elect on a pro-2A agenda are failing miserably at what we expect them to do. Speaking out, whenever and wherever is perhaps the only option we have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Don't confuse the left by using FACTS. They operate on emotion, not facts.
    airslot likes this.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links