Can we please ban texting? Transmission of data via cell phones?

This is a discussion on Can we please ban texting? Transmission of data via cell phones? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 9 deaths per day related to distracted driving. NINE For many, driving is a daily activity, not requiring much thought or consideration. However, the sad ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Can we please ban texting? Transmission of data via cell phones?

9 deaths per day related to distracted driving. NINE

For many, driving is a daily activity, not requiring much thought or consideration. However, the sad reality is that there are 3,287 deaths each day due to fatal car crashes. On average, 9 of these daily fatalities are related to distracted driving. The sad thing? These deaths all stem from a cause that is completely preventable.

Distracted driving in a complex issue within today’s society, affecting drivers across all age groups. In an effort to bring awareness to the issue, April has been deemed Distracted Driving Awareness Month to remind the public that all of these deaths and injuries are completely preventable.

Below, we delve into the scary facts and truths behind this epidemic, digging into the issues contributing factors, the large role cell phones play in this problem, and the science behind cell phone distractions.

https://teensafe.com/100-distracted-...tics-for-2018/

We have to try something.

Cell phone texting is NOT protected by the US constitution.
    Cell phone texting is NOT a right.
    Cell phone texting will kill more this month that all the mass shootings for a year.

The US government, should pass laws, forcing carriers to disable all text messaging or mobile delivery of data.
    Henry9008, Redbert31 and Damien83 like this.

Several communities, as well as a few states, have enacted "distracted driving" laws. This includes eating a sandwich, or drinking a soda. Anything that distracts the driver. Not sure what effect they are having, as I have not seen any data yet.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Cell phone texting is NOT protected by the US constitution.
    Cell phone texting is NOT a right.

The US government, should pass laws, forcing carriers to disable all text messaging or mobile delivery of data.
    IANAL, but I am sure there are plenty who will argue texting is protected speech, just like the internet, newspapers, TV, and private communications between individuals orally or in writing. But the technology is certainly there to disable texting functions while the phone is moving, including while walking.

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    OldChap likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Florida just passed their distracted driving texting law. You can't have a phone in your hand while driving. In school and work zones it's more strict. This AM on the way to work, I saw two people with their phones up the steering wheel.

Ironic, the mot vocal anti-gun person I personally know, is on her phone 24x7. She lives and conducts business via text and social media. We've had the argument many times.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    IANAL, but I am sure there are plenty who will argue texting is protected speech, just like the internet, newspapers, TV, and private communications between individuals orally or in writing. But the technology is certainly there to disable texting functions while the phone is moving, including while walking.
    I believe this would mean forcing activation of GPS - I think.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Is this a tongue in cheek poste related to banning guns?

If it's a real post: The article says "distracted driving" caused 9 deaths per year, not texting while driving. "Distracted driving" can be texting, eating, doing makeup, playing with the radio, arguing with your spouse, spilling coffee etc. It can be anything.

Do you seriously want to ban one of the biggest forms of communication in this country because 9 people died from "distracted driving"?

Tennessee just went "hands free" while driving. You're not allowed to hold your phone for any reason while driving as of August 1st.

Texting while driving is a serious problem but banning texting is not the solution

Quote Originally Posted by NoDeer View Post
    Several communities, as well as a few states, have enacted "distracted driving" laws. This includes eating a sandwich, or drinking a soda. Anything that distracts the driver. Not sure what effect they are having, as I have not seen any data yet.
    Here in WA state, they have that law. Not enforced. It is useless.
    Frodebro likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    I believe this would mean forcing activation of GPS - I think.
    Yes, it would, and that brings its own set of privacy issues.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

The government doesn’t care about preventing ANY deaths.
    Frodebro likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Tennessee just went "hands free" while driving. You're not allowed to hold your phone for any reason while driving as of August 1st.

Texting while driving is a serious problem but banning texting is not the solution
    Yes, true about the hands free law. But it also allows you to mount your phone to the car and use any function that only requires the push of one button. "Siri, send a text message to Idontknowalot on his mobile phone." You can also have Siri read recent text messages back to you. Personally, I find that distracting as well.

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Yes, true about the hands free law. But it also allows you to mount your phone to the car and use any function that only requires the push of one button. "Siri, send a text message to Idontknowalot on his mobile phone." You can also have Siri read recent text messages back to you. Personally, I find that distracting as well.
    True, but it's better than people looking down at their lap.
    spclopr8tr likes this.

According to SafeStart, an industrial safety consulting firm, texting is not the #1 cause of distracted driving accidents. "Cell phone use" across the board, including texting and voice use, including hands-free, all add up to 12% of distracted driving accidents, which makes it #2.

By far, the most common cause, 62%, is a category called, "zoning out." That is being lost in thought or not thinking about driving at all. How many times have you driven miles, even taken exits and realize you had no idea what you saw or what happened on those miles? This may be caused by fatigue, substance use or just not paying attention.

I'm not saying texting is OK, I think it's stupid, but it is not anywhere near the most dangerous thing you can do while driving.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Insurance carriers are advising their business policy holders that they need to adopt a cell phone policy modeled after the National Safety Council (NSC) guidelines in order to maintain best business practice for workers' compensation coverage.

https://www.nsc.org/Portals/0/Docume...Policy-Kit.pdf

To save you 150 pages of reading, the NSC guidelines require that all drivers operating company owned vehicles or operating rental or personal vehicles on company compensated time or using an employer provided cellphone must turn off their phone while operating the vehicle. It is hoped that habits developed while at work or while using a company provided telephone carry over to non-occupational exposures.

If it's a real post: The article says "distracted driving" caused 9 deaths per year, not texting while driving. "Distracted driving" can be texting, eating, doing makeup, playing with the radio, arguing with your spouse, spilling coffee etc. It can be anything.

Do you seriously want to ban one of the biggest forms of communication in this country because 9 people died from "distracted driving"?

I get a dose of the "save the children" and we must "do something" every other day. If people were serious, then they'd go after cell phones.

More data.....

Texting and driving deaths
    14% of fatal crashes involved cell phones.
    14% of distracted driving deaths were attributed specifically to cell phone use, as opposed to other forms of distracted driving.
    4,637 people died in car crashes in 2018 due to cell phone use.
    Including the cost to people's lives, these crashes were responsible for $129 billion — or 15 percent — of the overall societal damage caused by motor vehicle crashes. This number only goes up after your primary offense.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar

I believe the article did say 9 deaths per day, not year. However, it also says that there are 3,287 deaths from auto accidents per day which comes to 1,199,755 per year which is way too high for the US. After doing some math, I think the author meant to say there were 3,287 deaths per year attributed to distracted driving or an average of 9 per day (9x365=3,285). That is also about 9% of the all deaths on the highway.

I would make this argument as well to people that want to ban guns. The people that want to ban guns are also people that don't have guns. A ban doesn't effect them. If you suggest banning cell phones or texting, such a ban would suddenly strike close to home for them. Many of us got by just fine growing up without cell phones. The same argument could be used with cars. That would save 37k lives a year. I know none of us want to give up our cars or cell phones, but neither do the gun-control crowd.
    OldChap likes this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links