U.S Panel recommends drug screening all adults

This is a discussion on U.S Panel recommends drug screening all adults within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I find this disturbing...Besides an invasion of privacy I see this as a backdoor gun control measure. A panel recommends drug screening by doctors for ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: U.S Panel recommends drug screening all adults

I find this disturbing...Besides an invasion of privacy I see this as a backdoor gun control measure.
    A panel recommends drug screening by doctors for all adults, possibly teens. I see it as a first step to drug testing. Then, declarations of drug use, mental issues. Add red flag laws and you get gun confiscation.

Am I over reacting? Your opinions?

"The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has determined, for the first time, that there is enough evidence to state with “moderate certainty” that screening adults for illicit substance use is overall beneficial."
    "What the panel means by “screening” means a physician asking a patient a series of questions. The answers can indicate who might need to be offered or referred support"

https://www.statnews.com/2019/08/13/...ug-use-adults/

https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...cription-drugs
    PhaedrusIV and CG11 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    People will answer "no" to every question just like the depression test all Dr's ask now and the do you own a gun question.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Not sure how I feel about that, I have to submit to random drug and alcohol testing at my job all the time.
    If they use that information to deny welfare checks and food stamps I am on board.
    I do not think you should spend money on drugs and booze if I am paying for you basic needs.

I support it prior to receiving government benefits. As for it being a mandatory all the time occurrence doesn’t your employer have a drug screen policy? Also as part of your yearly physical your doctor already likely collects a urine sample and a blood sample so they’ve got your tox screen regardless.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I support it prior to receiving government benefits. As for it being a mandatory all the time occurrence doesn’t your employer have a drug screen policy? Also as part of your yearly physical your doctor already likely collects a urine sample and a blood sample so they’ve got your tox screen regardless.
    I thought my medical information was protected under HIPPA laws, heck I can't even get information on my wife's medical tests without her permission.
    If the government can access my private medical information, we are in deeper do-do than i thought we were.
    Sister and Nmuskier like this.

If your employer requires it, that is part of the deal you have made to work there. As I understand it, though, all they can do if you fail the test is fire you. It can't lead to you being reported to any government agency for adjudication. I suppose it could, but as a former HR professional, I'll say that it could create some serious liability issues for an employer, even a government employer.

I do not support the government doing it for non-employees unless it is a DUI situation. I don't even agree with testing people who are on public assistance and here is why: It creates a slippery slope for anti-gunners to get at us. Think about it. They get it going for welfare and food stamps. Then, why not add people on VA benefits? Then, why not people on Social Security and Medicare? Finally, why not people who have federally backed loans, including mortgage loans? It is not that far fetched. Anything that could get you on a prohibited person's list is an opportunity for anti-gunners.

We should never approve of the government violating anyone's rights, even if it seems like a good idea in some limited circumstance. With the government, it makes sense to think two or three moves ahead.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Considering the opioid epidemic, it doesn't seem unreasonable for doctors to ask about drug use as they do now about alcohol, smoking, and depression. None of that currently gets reported to anyone. And as with the other questions, the info is only as good as the patient provides.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    If your employer requires it, that is part of the deal you have made to work there. As I understand it, though, all they can do if you fail the test is fire you. It can't lead to you being reported to any government agency for adjudication. I suppose it could, but as a former HR professional, I'll say that it could create some serious liability issues for an employer, even a government employer.

I do not support the government doing it for non-employees unless it is a DUI situation. I don't even agree with testing people who are on public assistance and here is why: It creates a slippery slope for anti-gunners to get at us. Think about it. They get it going for welfare and food stamps. Then, why not add people on VA benefits? Then, why not people on Social Security and Medicare? Finally, why not people who have federally backed loans, including mortgage loans? It is not that far fetched. Anything that could get you on a prohibited person's list is an opportunity for anti-gunners.

We should never approve of the government violating anyone's rights, even if it seems like a good idea in some limited circumstance. With the government, it makes sense to think two or three moves ahead.
    I see your point, I just get PO'd by folks sucking up government assistance while partying on illegal drugs and alcohol that I am partially paying for.
    Heck , maybe the government can assist me in my single malt scotch obsession! Ha Ha.

I place little faith in random drug tests.

Georgia Southern QB says false-positive field test showed bird droppings as cocaine
    Georgia Southern QB says roadside drug test wrongly showed bird droppings as cocaine - Story | WAGA

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/these-15...on-drug-tests/
    Sister and SatCong like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

It will be too costly to administer.
    Risasi likes this.

Won't fly... Everyone is on drugs until proven negative? Not hardly.

We had "random" drug tests in the service. I don't recall anyone ever turning up positive from one, and that was with an entire maintenance squadron of a few hundred. Only cases I know of getting caught were those who had some sort of incident and got tested. A few of those came back positive.
    msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I see your point, I just get PO'd by folks sucking up government assistance while partying on illegal drugs and alcohol that I am partially paying for.
    Heck , maybe the government can assist me in my single malt scotch obsession! Ha Ha.
    They only assist in bourbon obsessions.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

True story...I cut my index finger at work and they took me to get stitches and a drug test.
    Upon returning to work like withing 10 minutes i grabbed a part not deburred by another employee
    and cut my other hand...Back to get stitches and another drug test like 1/2 hr after the first drug test.
    Yes i passed BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    OV probably uses his Social Security money to buy bourbon!

I think the problem here is giving out government assistance to those who can work, regardless of what they use it for. BTW, there are ways for people to scam a urine test, so requiring them doesn't really solve the problem anyway.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

OV probably uses his Social Security money to buy bourbon!

As J.G. Wentworth says in their ads.
    It's your money, use it when you want to.
    I wonder if OV will get back all the money he put into SS.
    Yes I agree jmf552.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links