Dale Jr.'s Plane Crashes - Page 2

Dale Jr.'s Plane Crashes

This is a discussion on Dale Jr.'s Plane Crashes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He had professional pilots. At least I would expect they should have had commercial licenses. Hard to imagine what would make you unable to stop ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Dale Jr.'s Plane Crashes

He had professional pilots. At least I would expect they should have had commercial licenses. Hard to imagine what would make you unable to stop unless it was a very short field. Citations don't need a huge field IIRC.

@PhaedrusIV has a much better understanding of that though.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

We'll have to wait for the NTSB report for any real insight I suppose, but Pilot error is usually at the head of the list, followed by system failures (think brakes or thrust reversers). Failure to take density altitude and runway length into consideration, a too fast or unstable approach leading to excessive float and a long landing, trying to abort the landing when there is not enough runway available, or maybe they inadvertently made a downwind landing; with no ATIS or on-field report they would need to overfly the field to check wind direction and strength. They all survived so a good debriefing should answer all questions.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

I just found this from ABC: https://abcnews.go.com/US/dale-earnh...ry?id=65011815

"NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s plane bounced at least twice before "coming down hard" on the right main landing gear resulting in Thursday's fiery crash, officials said Friday."
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I just found this from ABC: https://abcnews.go.com/US/dale-earnh...ry?id=65011815

"NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s plane bounced at least twice before "coming down hard" on the right main landing gear resulting in Thursday's fiery crash, officials said Friday."
    That makes me wonder what the wind were like, gusty winds can ruin a good landing.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Very true! I used to make a point of going up during the So Cal Santa Ana wind conditions just to stay sharp dealing with the gusts.

(Flight time was a lot cheaper in a puddle jumper than it would be in a Citation.)

We just moved to fl full time a month ago. We had a a 5th. wheeler on Lake Watauga for 11 years, in Weaverville for 36 years.
    Isn't like flying on flat land.
    But something went wrong & thank God all survived.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That makes me wonder what the wind were like, gusty winds can ruin a good landing.
    I just read the most detail I have seen, so far.

The aircraft was a Citation 680 (Sovereign, or Sovereign +) It ain't your daddy's Citation, and has a max. takeoff weight of 30,775 lb and weighs 18,235 lb empty.

The point being, it's no Piper Cub. 4,000 feet of runway goes-by very quickly during a landing. Here's the story, from AvWeb online:

A Cessna Citation 680 business jet carrying former NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., his wife, Amy, and their 1-year-old daughter, Isla, along with two unidentified pilots, overran the runway at Tennessee’s Elizabethton Municipal Airport (0A9) on Thursday. No serious injuries have been reported, although the family and pilots were transported to Johnson City Medical Center for medical evaluation. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was reportedly treated for injuries described as “cuts and abrasions.”

“I can confirm Dale, Amy & Isla along with his two pilots were involved in a crash in Bristol TN this afternoon,” Kelley Earnhardt, Dale’s sister, shared via Twitter. “Everyone is safe and has been taken to the hospital for further evaluation. We have no further information at this time.”

The accident, which is under investigation by the NTSB, occurred at approximately 3:40 p.m. local time. The aircraft went through a ditch and a fence, coming to rest approximately 1,000-feet beyond the end of the runway near a highway. The flight originated in Statesville, North Carolina, and lasted about 20 minutes. The aircraft was registered to North Carolina-based JRM Air, LLC. Potential causes for the overrun have not yet been given and the aircraft appears to have been destroyed by a post-crash fire.

In a briefing held on Friday, NTSB senior investigator Ralph Hicks reported that the NTSB has acquired video footage of the accident from surveillance cameras on buildings around the airport. According to Hicks, the footage shows that the aircraft bounced at least twice before “coming down hard on the right main landing gear,” which collapsed. The aircraft was equipped with a cockpit voice recorder, which has been recovered. Hicks says the winds were calm at the time of the accident. A preliminary report on the crash is expected in about a week.

Glad everybody's OK.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links