and they say banning guns is the answer?

and they say banning guns is the answer?

This is a discussion on and they say banning guns is the answer? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-tee...wdriver-police "England and Wales have seen 43,516 attacks with knives or sharp instruments over a 12-month period ending in March 2019, the BBC reported. In ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: and they say banning guns is the answer?

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,731

    and they say banning guns is the answer?

    https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-tee...wdriver-police

    "England and Wales have seen 43,516 attacks with knives or sharp instruments over a 12-month period ending in March 2019, the BBC reported. In 2018, there were 285 reported deaths from knife offenses."

    This doesn't include Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    QKShooter, CG11, AmyJ23 and 2 others like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,725
    England is attempting to effectively deal with the pointy object problem.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,995
    Devil's advocate... what is 285 deaths per capita versus 11,000 or so in the U.S.? Because that would be the counter argument if you presented those numbers.
    NECCdude likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Devil's advocate... what is 285 deaths per capita versus 11,000 or so in the U.S.? Because that would be the counter argument if you presented those numbers.
    I was too lazy to do the math.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array ButtShot14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    592
    What does or does not happen in the UK does not bother me one bit. Apples and oranges. If their people are happy with their laws let them do without knives and guns. Forks may be next. Spoons are OK. For now.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moderator Central
    Posts
    143,030
    Sadly...I cannot even visit there because my hands are classified as deadly weapons.

    I couldn't post that here if it wasn't true.
    baren, NECCdude, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sadly...I cannot even visit there because my hands are classified as deadly weapons.

    I couldn't post that here if it wasn't true.
    They have gangs of inconsiderate malcontents awaiting the arrival of floecking Yankees.
    baren and QKShooter like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  8. #8
    New Member Array AmyJ23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5
    People always adapt. Even if they ban guns, people will always find another weapon to hurt each other.
    NECCdude and QKShooter like this.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Devil's advocate... what is 285 deaths per capita versus 11,000 or so in the U.S.? Because that would be the counter argument if you presented those numbers.
    A comparison done by the UN is more apt. It is a list of "intentional homicides per 100,000 population." While that list doesn't include all attacks, only ones that result in death, it does look more broadly than guns and it doesn't include suicides, which US numbers often do. It is a list that compares apples to apples. The US is 88th on the list with 5.3 deaths per year per 100,000 population. The UK is 185th with 1.2.

    Countries with higher rates than the US include:
    • Belize, one of the top retirement destinations for Americans. Its rate is a whopping 37.9.
    • Brazil, a major US trading partner and a very industrialized country - 30.5
    • Mexico, with 24.8
    • Russia, with 9.2

    All of those countries with higher rates than than the US have much tighter gun laws. On the other hand, the two countries in Europe with the most permissive gun rights are Croatia at 1.1 and Switzerland at 0.5.

    Also to really be fair, you would have to factor in lives saved by guns. That would nearly zero in the UK and gun-rights-restricted countries, whereas some studies have claimed it is over 2 million a year in the US.
    QKShooter and NECCdude like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,995
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    A comparison done by the UN is more apt. It is a list of "intentional homicides per 100,000 population." While that list doesn't include all attacks, only ones that result in death, it does look more broadly than guns and it doesn't include suicides, which US numbers often do. It is a list that compares apples to apples. The US is 88th on the list with 5.3 deaths per year per 100,000 population. The UK is 185th with 1.2.

    Countries with higher rates than the US include:
    • Belize, one of the top retirement destinations for Americans. Its rate is a whopping 37.9.
    • Brazil, a major US trading partner and a very industrialized country - 30.5
    • Mexico, with 24.8
    • Russia, with 9.2

    All of those countries with higher rates than than the US have much tighter gun laws. On the other hand, the two countries in Europe with the most permissive gun rights are Croatia at 1.1 and Switzerland at 0.5.

    Also to really be fair, you would have to factor in lives saved by guns. That would nearly zero in the UK and gun-rights-restricted countries, whereas some studies have claimed it is over 2 million a year in the US.
    Good info, but missing my point. If one were to submit that England had 285 "knife violence" deaths as evidence as why gun control doesn't work, a halfway intelligent person would say "You're proving my point... look at 285 deaths compared to the 11,000 gun deaths in the U.S. last year! Gun control DOES work!"

    Be careful how you present arguments is my point, I suppose.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  11. #11
    Member Array Nifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    404
    I've posted about the knife stuff in the past. They use knives and/or acid. London mayor was trying to figure out a way to confiscate knives at one point. (no pun intended)

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sadly...I cannot even visit there because my hands are classified as deadly weapons.

    I couldn't post that here if it wasn't true.
    Sadly...Most of us on this forum cannot visit there because our brains are classified as deadly weapons.

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    31,738
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    What does or does not happen in the UK does not bother me one bit. Apples and oranges. If their people are happy with their laws let them do without knives and guns. Forks may be next. Spoons are OK. For now.
    Sporks... Just saying.
    QKShooter, M1911A1 and NECCdude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  14. #14
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sporks... Just saying.
    Used one Friday for the first time in years. It broke.
    QKShooter likes this.

  15. #15
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    and they say banning guns is the answer?

    Who are they?

    The Sanford Corp #2 pencil is a deadly weapon, an unconventional deadly weapon, but a weapon nonetheless. It's not the arrow, but the indian that makes the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •