This is why we can't have nice things

This is a discussion on This is why we can't have nice things within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; People not handling guns safely enough and shooting themselves on school property scares others. Guns don't just shoot on their own, but in the hands ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: This is why we can't have nice things

People not handling guns safely enough and shooting themselves on school property scares others. Guns don't just shoot on their own, but in the hands of someone who may only be careless for a moment it can be a life changing experience, and it makes rolling back anti-2A laws harder.

"A Springfield woman was arrested Sunday morning after she accidentally shot herself in the lower body outside Hylton High School in Woodbridge ... The investigation revealed the woman was walking toward the ballfield for a sporting event when she realized she was in possession of her holstered handgun ...

"As she attempted to remove the holster and weapon from her belt, the woman accidentally fired a round, striking herself in the “lower body," Perok said. She was transported to an area hospital for treatment of a non-life-threatening wound, Perok said in a news release.

"The investigation revealed the woman has a concealed-carry handgun permit. No other injuries or property damage were reported, Perok said.
    "Following the investigation, Violet Christine Ross, 37, of Springfield was charged with reckless handling of a firearm and possession of a firearm on school property in connection with the incident.
    "She was released on a $3,500 unsecured bond for a Sept. 30 court date."

https://www.princewilliamtimes.com/n...f6b68784c.html
    hogdaddy, CG11, AzQkr and 1 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

What I got out of this is that if this were not a gun free zone this shooting wouldnt have happened.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    What I got out of this is that if this were not a gun free zone this shooting wouldnt have happened.
    What I got, Is the woman needs to learn the gun safety basics JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

+1
    Havok likes this.

Maybe, maybe not. Her negligence might as easily have happened at the softball field.

I'm amazed our neighborhood BookFace page didn't catch fire with commentary since this is happened a minute down the street from here.
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    H/D
    I agree, but I didnt want to pass up an opportunity to make gun free zones look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Her negligence might as easily have happened at the softball field.

I'm amazed our neighborhood BookFace page didn't catch fire with commentary since this is happened a minute down the street from here.
    True, but being a gun free zone is why she was handling her gun when this occurred.

We all know one thing: any civilian foolish enough to attempt to carry a concealed handgun will quickly learn just how dangerous this is. Such weapons will go-off at the drop of a hat, shooting-up bystanders everywhere, and in particular the innocent, especially innocent children and their mothers.
    M1911A1 and airslot like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member
    Certainly true, but the woman failed the gun safety test. She just unfortunately did it in a GFZ. She could have done it in her house.
    Havok, AzQkr and hogdaddy like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Certainly true, but the woman failed the gun safety test. She just unfortunately did it in a GFZ. She could have done it in her house.
    That is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Maybe she already had, which is why her daughter wasn't playing shortstop that day.
    1942bull and graydude like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

I have removed my carry piece several times and have never discharged a round-kinda funny but when you pull the trigger they are designed to fire-so keep your finger away from the trigger-pretty simple actually.
    THE CROW

This is a good example of the difference between how pro and anti 2A can view the same incident.

Very clearly the shooting occurred when and where it did because of the GFZ law.

On the flip side, anti gunners could as easily say the GFZ law ensured the shooting didn’t happen while sitting in crowded bleachers, and get a lot of emotional helicopter parents to buy it.
    hogdaddy, Havok and AzQkr like this.

I wish there were exact details as to what she did, her exact actions, that led to the ND. Could be a powerful lesson to others as to what NOT to do. As described, the only thing we "know" is that she violated rule #2 (don't muzzle anything you would not kill or destroy--you know, the kind of thing every AIWB carrier, or any pocket carrier who sits down, or any horizontal shoulder holster carrier does all the time).

rx7sig

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    H/D
    I was wondering how the gun fired if she removed the holster with the gun still in it. Inadequate holster trigger guard?
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Crap happens.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links