Gold Star On Your DL?

Gold Star On Your DL?

This is a discussion on Gold Star On Your DL? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw this about your driver's license having a gold star on it in accordance with a new federal requirement. https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...lRealIdAct.htm Beginning October 1, ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Gold Star On Your DL?

Gold Star On Your DL?

I just saw this about your driver's license having a gold star on it in accordance with a new federal requirement.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...lRealIdAct.htm

Beginning October 1, 2020, only state-issued driver licenses and identification cards that are fully compliant with the REAL ID Act will be accepted for official federal government purposes, such as entering secure federal buildings or boarding domestic flights. Texas began issuing REAL ID compliant cards on October 10, 2016, and these cards are marked with a gold circle with an inset star located in the upper right-hand corner, as seen in the examples below.
    I just checked mine and Mrs OldChap's and lo and behold, we both have gold stars. I wonder if we'll be able to thumb our noses at TSA in 2020?

NOTE TO SELF: Neither one of us fly....but ohhhh the delicious thought!!!
    HotBrass45, CG11, baren and 1 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I just saw this about your driver's license having a gold star on it in accordance with a new federal requirement.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...lRealIdAct.htm

I just checked mine and Mrs OldChap's and lo and behold, we both have gold stars. I wonder if we'll be able to thumb our noses at TSA in 2020?

NOTE TO SELF: Neither one of us fly....but ohhhh the delicious thought!!!
    I do not believe the driver license alone will get you into the TSA PreCheck lane..... And...without the star, it will not be sufficient ID to fly, period. Absent that, you’d need your passport to fly.
    Struckat and OldChap like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member
    Some idiot bureaucrats decided, with no sense of history at all, to use gold stars to designate differences on government forms. Brilliant!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I’ve had mine here in North Carolina for about 2 years and as far as getting into federal installations my retired military ID works quite well. When it comes to flying, I don’t care if the commercial airlines go belly up, until the TSA stops the sexual assault (can’t go through their hallowed metal detectors) and the airlines install seats designed for adults rather than 10 year olds I will never fly again.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I’ve had mine here in North Carolina for about 2 years and as far as getting into federal installations my retired military ID works quite well. When it comes to flying, I don’t care if the commercial airlines go belly up, until the TSA stops the sexual assault (can’t go through their hallowed metal detectors) and the airlines install seats designed for adults rather than 10 year olds I will never fly again.
    Yeah, it used to be I preferred commercial to a C-130. Now I’d rather fly in the webbed seats!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Some idiot bureaucrats decided, with no sense of history at all, to use gold stars to designate differences on government forms. Brilliant!
    Welcome to kindergarten.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

It’s a “Participation's” gold star, everybody gets one so nobody feels left out
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    +1
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I do not believe the driver license alone will get you into the TSA PreCheck lane..... And...without the star, it will not be sufficient ID to fly, period. Absent that, you’d need your passport to fly.
    That is correct. If I flew any, I would spend the $100 for the Trusted Traveler ID, but I don't. And yes, you will need an approved federal identification after the effective date.

If only one needed some kind of real ID to vote. In most places one needn't even be alive to vote for candidates of a certain party.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldchap View Post
    that is correct. If i flew any, i would spend the $100 for the trusted traveler id, but i don't. And yes, you will need an approved federal identification after the effective date.

if only one needed some kind of real id to vote. In most places one needn't even be alive to vote for candidates of a certain party.

^^^ this ^^^
    OldChap, M1911A1, Sister and 1 others like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

I've got 2 Gold Stars on my DL. Next to the stars it says "Great Job!".
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I've got 2 Gold Stars on my DL. Next to the stars it says "Great Job!".

“Congratulations, you are a participant“!
    Last edited by Rockymonster; August 24th, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
    OldChap and Sister like this.

Sponsor
    Based on the OP's post about the gold star, I had to check my newly issued license that's tsa approved. Sure enough, gold star upper right hand corner of the new license.

Thanks for the heads up. I also at the time of renewing to the approved license, had them put organ donor and veteran on the license as well.

Just yesterday I received my new passport book and card as well. Ordered both, when traveling overland to Canada or Mexico you can use the card instead of bringing the passport book. The card now sits in my wallet. I plan on going to Mexico this Nov on the bike for the Rocky Point rally, and back through Canada next summer heading back to Ak. on the bike. The card will suffice with the real ID license
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    My Nebraska DL has that star. I guess that means I'm a good boy. I don't fly much but I usually use my passport for ID when I do fly - domestic or international.
    OldChap likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

I have a Real ID PA license with s star. I use my passport card when I fly. I don’t like taking my drivers license out of my wallet unnecessarily. Too easy to lose when you’re distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AzQkr, OldChap and Rockymonster like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links