Not so great weekend. - Page 2

Not so great weekend.

This is a discussion on Not so great weekend. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Nifty If you have no power though, bourbon can be sipped...... Good point...Something would have to be sacrificed to free up a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Not so great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    If you have no power though, bourbon can be sipped......
    Good point...Something would have to be sacrificed to free up a plug on the generator to keep the beer fridge running.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Obviously not your first rodeo. The price of living in paradise I guess. Good luck to you.
    Paradise? Have you ever actually lived in Florida? Been there, done that. Great place to visit but not something I enjoyed full time.

When we retired we had many criteria for where to settle down. Remaining in a hurricane zone was not on our "pros" list after having gone through multiple hurricanes and tropical storms in LA, FL, VA, MD, RI, and HI. One doesn't usually think RI = hurricane, but that one the eye passed right over us, the sun came out, and neighbors assembled to assess the first phase damage. When we left MD it was with a giant sigh of relief.

OV, you've got this. It doesn't get easier, but experience can be life saver.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Do you have enough bourbon to get you through?
    I think so.
    Name:  JBB truck.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  11.9 KB
    Name:  Storage.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  10.4 KB

As long as the hurricane doesn't last more than six or seven years.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Gotta room for ya up here if you need it. Just donít forget to bring the top drawer stuff, and try to give me that cheap stuff again:)
    Got a few bottles of Blackberry wine here to give a little variety:)
    Sounds good. My former B-in-L's mother served me homemade muscadine wine once. Must have been 190 proof!
    G-man*, OD*, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And so it begins . . . hurricane season.

Looks like I'm getting hit Sat/Sun. How hard depends on Thursday when the storm passes by PR and DR. It goes over the islands, the mountains should break up/weaken it. If it slips through in between the two islands, it's full steam ahead.

So the prep beings. Filled three gas cans, will fill the others later, got some cash, filled the truck, and will test run the generator and pick up a few items at the store later today. Storm panels will go up Thurs/Fri, depending on what happens to the storm. They're not exactly a one-man job, and the wife is out of town.

Need to pick up any yard debris and mow today because it will likely be too wet later this week.

Florida: Heat, humidity, hurricanes, and snowbirds . . . Gotta love it!
    You the smart one, just booked a weekend at Amelia Island after visiting my Sister in Geneva, FL thursday afternoon.
    Keep safe.

Administrator
    Stay Safe.
    Great that you're stocking up on your preps.

And please do remember that alcohol can also be used as a general disinfectant.
    G26Raven, OD*, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Stay Safe.
    Great that you're stocking up on your preps.

And please do remember that alcohol can also be used as a general disinfectant.
    Germs wouldn't dare!
    OD* and SatCong like this.

looks to only be a Tropical Storm coming in Sunday afternoon. My daughter is coming down from Georgia Sunday afternoon and I told her about the storm. Her reply:

"dad, its just a tropical storm. No big deal, we road out Charley, Frances and Jeanne in 2004."

Kid is a trooper, but I think she has forgotten what it is like driving in 50-60 mph sustain winds with rain going sideways. I will try to talk her into postponing for a day to let this mess blow through.

We're meeting over in New Smyrna Beach which looks like ground zero by the looks of the track on the news tonight.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

One of our old neighbors shared this.
    OD*, Gabill, M1911A1 and 5 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Not so sure about tropical storm.
    News this morning shows to be a tropical storm when it hit PR but they say will develop into a hurricane by the time it reaches Florida.
    Zonker1986 warn your daughter, not a good idea to drive into a hurricane.
    OD*, Sister and SatCong like this.

Yep I feel your pain. The weekend looks like football and hurricanes. Moved from central Florida to NE Florida and canít get away from hurricanes. Honker down OldVet! We will make it through it.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Will say a prayer for you and yours, OV. Stay safe amigo.
    Sister and SatCong like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    looks to only be a Tropical Storm coming in Sunday afternoon. My daughter is coming down from Georgia Sunday afternoon and I told her about the storm. Her reply:

"dad, its just a tropical storm. No big deal, we road out Charley, Frances and Jeanne in 2004."

Kid is a trooper, but I think she has forgotten what it is like driving in 50-60 mph sustain winds with rain going sideways. I will try to talk her into postponing for a day to let this mess blow through.

We're meeting over in New Smyrna Beach which looks like ground zero by the looks of the track on the news tonight.
    She might want to look again itís up to a cat 2 this morning.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Never know how these things are going to go.
    Most of my family is in Houston TX. They have stayed put and ridden out a few, and evacuated for others. When Hurricane Harvey came they all decided to stay put.
    Mom and brother lost power for a week and were stuck in their neighborhoods due to flooding, but otherwise fine, my sisters house went under 8 feet of water and they had to be rescued by the fire department in boats.

Hang in there, OV. May God watch over you.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links