Scammer calls wrong person.

This is a discussion on Scammer calls wrong person. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to get calls like this and I would tell them come and arrest me, havenít been arrested yet. DIRECTV puts the name and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Scammer calls wrong person.

I used to get calls like this and I would tell them come and arrest me, havenít been arrested yet. DIRECTV puts the name and number on-screen and if it says unavailable, unknown or it is a number I donít recognize I just donít answer, if it is important they can leave a message.

Apex Police Captain gets scam call claiming she's about to be arrested in viral Facebook post

APEX, N.C. - (WTVD) -- An Apex Police captain was on the other end of a scam call where a man told her a sheriff's deputy was on the way to arrest her. It was a teachable moment - and social media gold.

During a chat with two men who went by the names of 'John Black' and 'Jason Brown,' Captain Ann Stephens was told she was facing as many as 25 charges in two conversations. The men told her their talk was being monitored by several agencies. The department posted video of the call to its Facebook page, hoping to convince people not to engage when asked for personal information over the phone.

"These are scam calls," Stephens said. "Don't ever give out your information. Don't ever verify their information even if they have it."

The caller asks for Stephens' address and last four digits of her social security number, which the caller claims there were numerous charges filed against.
    When asked for her address, Stephens gave the address for the Police department - 205 Saunders Street.
    https://abc11.com/apex-police-captai...viral/5498680/
    OldChap, ETXhiker, CG11 and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I used to get calls like this and I would tell them come and arrest me, havenít been arrested yet.
    Here is a situation where ethnic trolling would be acceptable, just to spike the perpís blood pressure. Of course, this lady is being recorded, and sheís probably too nice to boot. Otherwise ...
    msgt/ret likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

We are getting a lot of auto warranty and computer security calls at work on our cell phones. We have a contest going right now to see who can keep the caller on the phone the longest. The only rule is you must put this on speaker so everyone can hear. One guy managed to keep them one of the scammers on the phone for nearly 20 minutes before the caller caught on and cussed him out. Once we get so far and we can't go any longer, we use "test" credit card numbers that show a communication but no money can be exchanged. Absolutely infuriates them. Of course, we stumble around and take a few minutes to "read" the card number out correctly.

We pissed one computer refund scam group off so bad they don't even call us anymore.

VIP Member
    I got two calls today - caller ID was Anonymous. The caller claimed to be from a police charity of some sort. I told both of the jerks that when they were using Anonymous as their ID they were getting NOTHING. Both sounded a bit surprised, but both said, "OK" as I hung up. And as usual I reported both calls to Nomorobo on line.
    baren and msgt/ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I just got a call from "Social Security," stating my account was locked. I've also had 2 calls stating I had warrants out for my arrest. Yup, ha, ha.

I'm gonna have one of these in book 3 of my series, to the Ambassador. Gonna troll the trolls, since they had his address (the one scammer had mine) it becomes a CIA/NSA issue. Because he's also a co-captain of a US Space warship (married to the captain) it becomes top priority over everything. Oooohhhhhhhhhh, gonna have some fun with that one. Too bad that doen't happen for real, betting the full assets of a few alphabet soup agencies involved.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Today I've decided that once a human is on the line, I'm just going to say, "Being a piano player in a whorehouse is a more reputable job than what you're doing.' <click>
    msgt/ret and Nifty like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I like to get a human on the line then.

Name:  Whistle.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  5.4 KB
    Doghandler and goldshellback like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I have found that some of my favorite quotes from "Full Metal Jacket" are useful.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I like to get a human on the line then.

Name:  Whistle.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  5.4 KB
    I'm with ya, Bro, but I like to stick with turn signals so we don't drive the neighbors crazy.

There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Got one the other day saying that the warranty on our car was about to expire. I thought that it was pretty good that we still had a warranty on a 14 year old car or a 19 year old truck.
    baren and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Every once in a while I like to watch these videos. A "windows security" person will call a true computer tech and they end up hacking the scammer. Some of them are absolutely hilarious. I'll warn you tho some have tons of fowl language.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...obile&ie=UTF-8

I get those dadgum calls at lunch and supper time almost daily. Every once and awhile I engage the 'agent' and troll them until they call me really bad names and hang up.

I will get some form of entertainment outta the call....

I don't answer calls from numbers that are not in my phone directory. My voice mail tells the caller that if they don't leave a message, their number will be blocked. 99% of the calls I don't answer, the caller doesn't leave a message. I block the caller's number. The number of calls I get from scammers has decreased to just a couple a week. The last two weeks I have not received any.
    KILTED COWBOY and msgt/ret like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

ring... ring... ring.

YOU: "Hello, police department."
    THEM: "[click]"
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Technology gone amuck - fed by greed and the gullibility of the American public. Scammers, I don't like you.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links