College football - Page 4

College football

This is a discussion on College football within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't count Bama out....They have had a whole year to stew on last years loss to Clemson. Any of the powerhouses can lose on any ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: College football

Don't count Bama out....They have had a whole year to stew on last years loss to Clemson.
    Any of the powerhouses can lose on any given day....Happens all the time....To me that is what makes college football
    great...You never know and every week is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I rarely see a team that looks great this early in the season. As long as they remain healthy, I doubt anyone will be able to touch them. As far as the SEC being the best, the conference as a whole has been severely overrated for several years. They now have the potential to be as good as people have been pretending they were, but weíll see if they actually deliver.
    That's the point I was trying to make. Heaven forbid, Lawrence suffers a broken clavicle and out for the year........then how do they look? Defense will still be outstanding, but that offense is going to struggle mightily. Could the defense hold top teams to allow the offense to score just enough? It gets exhausting after a while. But it also goes the other way. Defense could suffer some injuries and completely collapses. If they stay healthy, I see them again going to the championship, this time favored heavily. Also, as with college football, anything can happen (Boise St vs FSU, Army vs Mich, UT vs Ga St.........well maybe UT is a stretch). It's shaping up to be a great season.

SEC being overrated? By who? Kirk Herbstreit? He's a Big 10 goon and always says the SEC is down. Yet, the SEC is consistently in the CFB Playoff talk. Yes, it's always the same 2-3 teams, but still in it. Give me another team from the ACC that is in the talk, or Big 10 or Big 12 or even Pac 12 for that matter. I'm biased since I was born and raised in SEC country and a big Gator fan. Anyone can argue their teams conference is the best. It will never be settled until the playoff is a full playoff with a representative from each conference. I've always had an idea that every conference should have a conference championship. Those conference winners, and only those, should go into a playoff to determine a true national champion. If you don't win your conference championship, you have no leg to stand on arguing you should be in no matter what your ranking is. Rankings should be tossed when it comes to who's in. Conference championship or bust.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Don't count Bama out....They have had a whole year to stew on last years loss to Clemson.
    Any of the powerhouses can lose on any given day....Happens all the time....To me that is what makes college football
    great...You never know and every week is important.
    Very true. Typically when Saban loses like that on the big stage, the next year is usually their best. I feel sorry for anyone playing Bama on this revenge tour. Even though they lost a couple RBs and a LB. Bama is pissed and is going to take it out on everyone.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien83 View Post
    Very true. Typically when Saban loses like that on the big stage, the next year is usually their best. I feel sorry for anyone playing Bama on this revenge tour. Even though they lost a couple RBs and a LB. Bama is pissed and is going to take it out on everyone.
    I am no Bama fan but i laugh when they pick apart their non conf schedule but forget that Bama usually rolls through their SEC
    schedule as well.

Fall is my favorite time of year. Can't wait till the rut!
    goldshellback likes this.

Go BIG RED!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

That's the point I was trying to make. Heaven forbid, Lawrence suffers a broken clavicle and out for the year........then how do they look? Defense will still be outstanding, but that offense is going to struggle mightily. Could the defense hold top teams to allow the offense to score just enough? It gets exhausting after a while. But it also goes the other way. Defense could suffer some injuries and completely collapses. If they stay healthy, I see them again going to the championship, this time favored heavily. Also, as with college football, anything can happen (Boise St vs FSU, Army vs Mich, UT vs Ga St.........well maybe UT is a stretch). It's shaping up to be a great season.

SEC being overrated? By who? Kirk Herbstreit? He's a Big 10 goon and always says the SEC is down. Yet, the SEC is consistently in the CFB Playoff talk. Yes, it's always the same 2-3 teams, but still in it. Give me another team from the ACC that is in the talk, or Big 10 or Big 12 or even Pac 12 for that matter. I'm biased since I was born and raised in SEC country and a big Gator fan. Anyone can argue their teams conference is the best. It will never be settled until the playoff is a full playoff with a representative from each conference. I've always had an idea that every conference should have a conference championship. Those conference winners, and only those, should go into a playoff to determine a true national champion. If you don't win your conference championship, you have no leg to stand on arguing you should be in no matter what your ranking is. Rankings should be tossed when it comes to who's in. Conference championship or bust.
    I agree 100% with your first paragraph, but only partly with your second. I do think everyone should have a conference championship and I think they should have to win it to get a spot. So Notre Dame should need to either join a conference or sit out the playoffs in the future as far as Im concerned. The rules have been changed on conference championships due to the Big 12 throwing a tantrum about being left out because they didnt have a conference championship even though everyone else knows that they got left out because they werent good enough to earn a spot. Whats interesting is Alabama has made it to the national championship twice without winning their conference, or even competing for it. I believe Ohio State did once as well. I disagree with that. Whats even crazier, is I believe Alabama is the only team where it was actually seen as better for them to lose a game at the end of the season to put themselves in a better position for the playoffs than if they went undefeated in the regulat season. Dont get me wrong, Alabama is really good, but they are what makes the SEC. In my opinon, the SEC has been riding Alabamas success for nearly a decade. You ask about other conferences, but since Auburns win in 2010, the ACC is the only conference to produce two teams that have won the national championship. Florida State, and Clemson. For the last several years, the SEC has either had a losing bowl record, or gone .5. I think its been about 4 years since they have been over .5. They also have an easier path to bowl games. Since they only play 8 conference games, compared to 3 other "power" conferences playing 9, and they can use a win against an FCS team to go towards bowl eligibility, they only need one maybe two conference wins to be bowl eligible. The conference has some good teams for sure, but to many outside the SEC, aside from Alabama, the SEC does not stand out.

To further illustrate this, you being a Florida fan, Im sure you're all too familiar with the "DBU" debate, and saw how Texas was trying to claim that title now. All these LSU fans have been talking so much crap, and even their own players talking about Texas "garbage" defense, and how LSU is the real DBU, yet nobody paid attention to the fact that Texas had 409 yards and 4 touchdowns in the air against LSU's defense last week, only slightly less against what should be one of the best defenses in the nation, against a supposedly garbage defense. They did a terrible job of backing up all the crap they talked.
    Damien83 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I agree 100% with your first paragraph, but only partly with your second. I do think everyone should have a conference championship and I think they should have to win it to get a spot. So Notre Dame should need to either join a conference or sit out the playoffs in the future as far as Im concerned. The rules have been changed on conference championships due to the Big 12 throwing a tantrum about being left out because they didnt have a conference championship even though everyone else knows that they got left out because they werent good enough to earn a spot. Whats interesting is Alabama has made it to the national championship twice without winning their conference, or even competing for it. I believe Ohio State did once as well. I disagree with that. Whats even crazier, is I believe Alabama is the only team where it was actually seen as better for them to lose a game at the end of the season to put themselves in a better position for the playoffs than if they went undefeated in the regulat season. Dont get me wrong, Alabama is really good, but they are what makes the SEC. In my opinon, the SEC has been riding Alabamas success for nearly a decade. You ask about other conferences, but since Auburns win in 2010, the ACC is the only conference to produce two teams that have won the national championship. Florida State, and Clemson. For the last several years, the SEC has either had a losing bowl record, or gone .5. I think its been about 4 years since they have been over .5. They also have an easier path to bowl games. Since they only play 8 conference games, compared to 3 other "power" conferences playing 9, and they can use a win against an FCS team to go towards bowl eligibility, they only need one maybe two conference wins to be bowl eligible. The conference has some good teams for sure, but to many outside the SEC, aside from Alabama, the SEC does not stand out.

To further illustrate this, you being a Florida fan, Im sure you're all too familiar with the "DBU" debate, and saw how Texas was trying to claim that title now. All these LSU fans have been talking so much crap, and even their own players talking about Texas "garbage" defense, and how LSU is the real DBU, yet nobody paid attention to the fact that Texas had 409 yards and 4 touchdowns in the air against LSU's defense last week, only slightly less against what should be one of the best defenses in the nation, against a supposedly garbage defense. They did a terrible job of backing up all the crap they talked.
    The independents would need to either join a conference, create a conference championship or sit their butts on the couch and watch the big boys play. I remember when the Big 12 threw a hissy fit. If I remember correctly, Texas was the team they wanted in then Texas went on to get blown out in their bowl against a lesser team. What years are you referencing Bama making it without going to SEC Championship? Only time I recall Bama making it was when they lost to UGA in SECCG and still ended up playing. I do agree that the SEC is being carried by Bama and has been. I think that's going to start changing here real soon. With UGA, UF, Texas A&M, Auburn making turns and strides, it's going to get interesting quick. As for bowl records, I agree that the SEC stinks it up during bowl season. I always hate that since the SEC should represent.

I think Texas entering the "DBU" debate was to get under the skin of LSU. That was a stunt getting shirts printed up and wearing for warmups. IMHO, no school is the "U" of any position. Every school produces athletes with their god given talent with the coaches on staff. If that is an argument, then Mississippi Valley State could be "WRU" because of Jerry Rice. The whole our school is the "U" of this position is a joke. Coaches mold and develop athletes, not the school. With the amount of coaching turnover at each school, that title is invalid. Funny how LSU claims to be "DBU" but yet their secondary is always getting carved up in games. And, the trash talking is coming from both sides. In the end, all that matters is who won the game. Doesn't matter if you give up 1000 yds of offense. If you win, that's the end of the trash talk.
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Go BIG RED!
    You got it....Win or lose i will be chanting that baby....You won't ever see me scalp a ticket to a opposing fan either,
    Or shouting vile garbage at opposing fans.
    Doghandler likes this.

The independents would need to either join a conference, create a conference championship or sit their butts on the couch and watch the big boys play. I remember when the Big 12 threw a hissy fit. If I remember correctly, Texas was the team they wanted in then Texas went on to get blown out in their bowl against a lesser team. What years are you referencing Bama making it without going to SEC Championship? Only time I recall Bama making it was when they lost to UGA in SECCG and still ended up playing. I do agree that the SEC is being carried by Bama and has been. I think that's going to start changing here real soon. With UGA, UF, Texas A&M, Auburn making turns and strides, it's going to get interesting quick. As for bowl records, I agree that the SEC stinks it up during bowl season. I always hate that since the SEC should represent.

I think Texas entering the "DBU" debate was to get under the skin of LSU. That was a stunt getting shirts printed up and wearing for warmups. IMHO, no school is the "U" of any position. Every school produces athletes with their god given talent with the coaches on staff. If that is an argument, then Mississippi Valley State could be "WRU" because of Jerry Rice. The whole our school is the "U" of this position is a joke. Coaches mold and develop athletes, not the school. With the amount of coaching turnover at each school, that title is invalid. Funny how LSU claims to be "DBU" but yet their secondary is always getting carved up in games. And, the trash talking is coming from both sides. In the end, all that matters is who won the game. Doesn't matter if you give up 1000 yds of offense. If you win, that's the end of the trash talk.
    Alabama played in the national championship, i believe in 2011 and 2017 without so much as winning the SEC West either time. What I found ironic was sometime around 2013 I think, Saban was trash talking Florida about how they didnít deserve to get into a certain bowl game because they didnít win their conference, right after they played for the national championship without winning their conference. A&M and UF, especially UF should be making a big turn around given their new head coaches. Iím not sold on Auburn though.

I hate to even say this....But i am pulling for Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma....He handled his Alabama situation as
    well as a young man today can....He was no distraction and moved on at the right time.
    PEF likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I hate to even say this....But i am pulling for Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma....He handled his Alabama situation as
    well as a young man today can....He was no distraction and moved on at the right time.
    Same. I generally didnt think he was all that great of a qb at Alabama, but supposedly he is doing well for OU. I like the way he carries himself. I hope he does well.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Hook Ďem!.
    LSU sho'nuf did.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links