So why don't women get the 3 Stooges? - Page 2

So why don't women get the 3 Stooges?

This is a discussion on So why don't women get the 3 Stooges? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Female sense of humor: Male sense of humor:...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: So why don't women get the 3 Stooges?

Female sense of humor:

So why don't women get the 3 Stooges?-victim.jpg

Male sense of humor:

So why don't women get the 3 Stooges?-coping.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

We love watching Laurel and Hardy in The Music Box.

I'm not so fond of the side splitting ache I get from laughing so much.
    gatorbait51, Sister and DZUS like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My wife will divorce me if I watch "Blazing Saddles" one more time.
    I love "Blazin' Saddles" and it is sad that it would NEVER get made today.
    gatorbait51 and DZUS like this.

We men are far to simple, so simple comedy like the Stooges we get. Women are wired differently, most just don't think it's funny. I am sad for their loss, the Stooges Rule!
    "The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationship in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
    - John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    They had a Three Stooges marathon on a local TV station the other day.
    I was basically on the floor laughing my butt off. The humor is timeless.
    My wife heard the commotion and walked in, saw what was on TV and how I was acting and said:
    If you get any more stupid, I am going to have to leave you.
    Been married 27 years,I'm sure gonna miss her!
    I have yet to meet a woman in all my years that likes The Stooges.
    By the way, who is your favorite Stooge? And don't say Joe Biden.
    My wife thinks it is dumb too...I just don't get how she can't find them funny
    gatorbait51 and Rockymonster like this.

There is a Ted Talk on why things are funny. The guy who gives it is head of the Humor Research Lab, a real thing, which is acronym'ed HURL, intentionally as a double entendre. He said their research says that there are two requirements for humor: a clever violation of a norm and whether the violation is benign or malign. So something is funny when the audience sees a gag as a "benign violation" and that is different for everyone. So if a gag does not violate a social norm or rule at all, it's nothing, it's too bland and it's not funny. But if it is too much of a violation, too over the top, it is also not funny.

So if we know someone on this site is partial to bourbon, we can tease him about that and it can be funny if it's clever. However, if we suggest that same person is an irresponsible drunk, it is offensive. (Disclaimer. Any resemblance to an actual DC forum member is purely coincidental!)

Slapstick humor is based on the idea that you can assault or temporarily injure someone in clever ways, but they suffer no permanent damage. Guys are down with that, because "rough and tumble" is part of our upbringing. But for most women, that crosses the line into being a "malign violation." The very thought of physically attacking someone is not funny, because it is out of their frame of reference. For a woman to slap someone would not be a humorous situation, but a very serious one. And women are generally concerned with being the actual or potential victims of violence. On the other hand, women have a seemingly unlimited appetite for humor based on psychological torture, head games, selfishness, bitchiness and deception.

So the counter question is: "Why don't guys get RomComs?"
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Pittpa and Pete63 like this.

VIP Member
    Add my wife to the “I don’t get/it’s stupid crowd”....
    Sister likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

My opinion for what it’s worth; I don’t find them funny because they are predictable. Most women are too smart to tolerate a grown man acting like an 8 year old boy...it’s just not funny nor witty. Doesn’t take much thought or IQ to do what they do IMHO.

Ignorance would be the word I’m thinking, or childish. Neither are actractive or funny. On the plus side, at least they do keep it clean.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

Hey, jmf552, that is a very cogent analysis, and one with which my wife completely agrees.
    Between you and HURL, I think that the question has been satisfactorily answered.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Guys are down with that, because "rough and tumble" is part of our upbringing. But for most women, that crosses the line into being a "malign violation." The very thought of physically attacking someone is not funny, because it is out of their frame of reference. For a woman to slap someone would not be a humorous situation, but a very serious one. And women are generally concerned with being the actual or potential victims of violence. On the other hand, women have a seemingly unlimited appetite for humor based on psychological torture, head games, selfishness, bitchiness and deception.

So the counter question is: "Why don't guys get RomComs?"

Wow, somebody had their feelings hurt. Lot of hate right there friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    You are way off base. Where I'm coming from is that my wife, who is the sweetest person in the world, likes "Real Housewives" "Southern Charm," The Bachelor," etc. along with millions of other women. That is all that stuff is, women being mean to other women, and they get a charge out of it. It really has nothing to do with me. The OP asked why women don't get the 3 Stooges, which is guys being rude and violent with other guys in a hilarious way. I get that.

I'm just taking an objective look at what women like to watch and what that content is. And that's what it is. And you are taking a characteristic denial response, which is to put it back on guys, taking the typical alt-feminist position, which is no social ill can ever be women's' fault. You are missing the whole point. Truth is, I have rarely had my feelings hurt by a female, and never seriously. And I don't hate women at all. My wife and I have been married for 41 years and we are very happy.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You are way off base. Where I'm coming from is that my wife, who is the sweetest person in the world, likes "Real Housewives" "Southern Charm," The Bachelor," etc. along with millions of other women. That is all that stuff is, women being mean to other women, and they get a charge out of it. It really has nothing to do with me. The OP asked why women don't get the 3 Stooges, which is guys being rude and violent with other guys in a hilarious way. I get that.
    That wasn’t made clear in your post, apology if I took it wrong. That was some strong wording you used. The TV shows you mentioned, I have a never watched them and only have heard of one of them.

All women are not alike, we don’t watch the same things nor wear the same things. Somebody mentioned women and shoes in another post/thread - Like, I own maybe 5 and had rather wear slippers. Glad you got a good tempered wife, prolly more blessed than you know.
    Pete63 and Rock and Glock like this.

Different strokes for different folks. The 3 Stooges were great in their time, and even though my wife doesn't get them, I did enjoy them. Now, to get anything comparable, you have to watch CNN.
    TimBob, LimaCharlie and MMinSC like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links