We need some common sense bicycle control... - Page 2

We need some common sense bicycle control...

This is a discussion on We need some common sense bicycle control... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 I'm fortunate to live on a lightly-traveled township road surrounded by township and county roads in all four directions. If I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: We need some common sense bicycle control...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm fortunate to live on a lightly-traveled township road surrounded by township and county roads in all four directions. If I like, I can ride for miles seeing few if any cars. With that said, our neighbor and best friend wound up dead in the ditch, tangled up in his bicycle two miles from my house on a very straight stretch of county road. Like many things when they go bad, they go very bad, very fast on a bike.
    I rode road bikes for years. Yea, skinny tire and clipped feet are not the same as a casual neighboorhood ride on a mt. bike.
    My nicer road bike is a Trek carbon frame with Campy Chorus that I built myself (about 15 years ago).
    Last year (August) I had a flat 1.5 mile from home, inflator wouldn't work, couldn't get the tire fixed decided to just walk the bike back home, only 1.5 mile.
    Thing is I was wearing clipless pedal shoes, so I was "walking funny" for that 1.5 mile.
    Next day my knee "popped" literally made a sound and then something felt loose, lots of pain; I could walk on it but it hurt. My wife said you need to see a doctor, I said if it gets worse I'll see a doctor. It took months but the knee slowly healed. In July (11 months had passed) I decided to see if I could bike ride. Got new Kevlar tires, new tubes, inflator, mini-pump. That first 16 mile ride was tough, after so long of not riding, plus the heat index was over 100; but, I survived, I was back into rod bike riding. Over the next month I did 6 more 16 mile rides. At the end of ride 7 I put the bike back on its rack and was taking off shoes when BANG sounded like a gun went off. The rear tire had blew, I had never seen a tire pop rather than deflate. I'd checked tire pressure prior to the ride, don't know why that tire blew. Only 7 rides since the knee injury and now I'd just made it home, had that tire blew a couple minutes sooner don't know if I would have wrecked because of it. Maybe it was a friendly nudge from God to quit riding the road bike; perhaps if I continued to ride there would be an accident or serious injury and the good lord was trying to help me avoid it. I eventually tossed all the road bike shorts, jerseys, ect... and will sell the road bikes in the spring when people are thinking about starting to ride after winter. I'm keeping my mt bike, regular pedals, fat tires, easy to control if a tire goes down. I've had that bike for 20 years, never ride it here, its my Florida bike, take it on trips to FL, humor myself by riding to the store on it, or to a restaurant (something I can't do out here where I live now). In less than 4 years that old mt. bike will get rode frequently, perhaps daily.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I rode road bikes for years. Yea, skinny tire and clipped feet are not the same as a casual neighboorhood ride on a mt. bike.
    My nicer road bike is a Trek carbon frame with Campy Chorus that I built myself (about 15 years ago).
    Last year (August) I had a flat 1.5 mile from home, inflator wouldn't work, couldn't get the tire fixed decided to just walk the bike back home, only 1.5 mile.
    Thing is I was wearing clipless pedal shoes, so I was "walking funny" for that 1.5 mile.
    Next day my knee "popped" literally made a sound and then something felt loose, lots of pain; I could walk on it but it hurt. My wife said you need to see a doctor, I said if it gets worse I'll see a doctor. It took months but the knee slowly healed. In July (11 months had passed) I decided to see if I could bike ride. Got new Kevlar tires, new tubes, inflator, mini-pump. That first 16 mile ride was tough, after so long of not riding, plus the heat index was over 100; but, I survived, I was back into rod bike riding. Over the next month I did 6 more 16 mile rides. At the end of ride 7 I put the bike back on its rack and was taking off shoes when BANG sounded like a gun went off. The rear tire had blew, I had never seen a tire pop rather than deflate. I'd checked tire pressure prior to the ride, don't know why that tire blew. Only 7 rides since the knee injury and now I'd just made it home, had that tire blew a couple minutes sooner don't know if I would have wrecked because of it. Maybe it was a friendly nudge from God to quit riding the road bike; perhaps if I continued to ride there would be an accident or serious injury and the good lord was trying to help me avoid it. I eventually tossed all the road bike shorts, jerseys, ect... and will sell the road bikes in the spring when people are thinking about starting to ride after winter. I'm keeping my mt bike, regular pedals, fat tires, easy to control if a tire goes down. I've had that bike for 20 years, never ride it here, its my Florida bike, take it on trips to FL, humor myself by riding to the store on it, or to a restaurant (something I can't do out here where I live now). In less than 4 years that old mt. bike will get rode frequently, perhaps daily.
    I had a tire blow at the house five miles after I hit a rough pothole in the dark several years ago. I bought this 2002 Trek 5200 new after it had sat in stock until 2005. I got out of the regular ride habit several years ago. I have always ridden in cargo shorts and t-shirts in the summer. My mountain biking shoes recess the clips enough that they are almost like walking on regular sneakers. I've been doing 12-18 miles daily for about the last month in an effort to lose some more weight and get my puff back. So far, so good.

We need some common sense bicycle control...-dsc04931.jpg
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Senior Moderator
    Dedicated bike trails, lanes, and the like are for the wealthy politically connected and politically vocal subgroups that throw their pocketbooks and political acumen around for selfish purposes. Bicycling advocacy groups abound, and act like they support a constitutional right.

Economic disasters with limited payback of any type, be it financial, environmental, or recreational in any broad based measurement, they cater to the woke crowd living out their dreams with OPM ("Other People's Money") riding $1,000-$25,000 bikes with dreams of superiority and elitism.

Prove me wrong. Change my mind.

As a humorous aside (yes, even I want to laugh occassionally), our horses freaked out the first time a bicycle rode past them in their new environs! Totally freaked! Rodeo time!

Bicycles were silent, fast and obviously carnivores.

Now? They yawn.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I used to race BMX bikes when I was a kid. The bike culture has changed so much since then, and not for the better.
    It's like the culture at the gym nowadays, a lot of inexperienced, self important, entitled azzhats waltzing in and getting in the way.
    Plus how about all the spandex outfits on fat guys who think they are in the Tour de France? They say the outfit helps their riding. You know what will help your riding even more? Dropping about 50lbs

Bicycles on the highways here in Wyoming are almost universally hated and taken as a sign that progressives are moving in. Who else has time or desire to ride a bicycle wearing stretchy pants? The good news is its fairly hot in the summer and not doable in the winter. We don't have wide shoulders and there is a lot of truck traffic and farm traffic. I have never seen a bicycle on the road in this county yet. I really don't mind them if they aren't the arrogant "this is my highway" types I saw in progressive parts of Montana. 4 wide blocking the whole lane and going along at 15 MPH in a 70 MPH highway. Unfortunately many of them are entitled pious brats and those are the ones that make it tough for others.
    ddrew likes this.

You want to ride in the middle of the street? Fine, just get over immediately when a car comes up behind you.

Look at this guy, probably a barista at star bucks

Mike1956 and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm fortunate to live on a lightly-traveled township road surrounded by township and county roads in all four directions. If I like, I can ride for miles seeing few if any cars. With that said, our neighbor and best friend wound up dead in the ditch, tangled up in his bicycle two miles from my house on a very straight stretch of county road. Like many things when they go bad, they go very bad, very fast on a bike.
    I live in a good area with lots of nice roads and parks. However for me, getting to some of those areas means taking my bike there by car or truck. And I am not about to use my car for this. One of my daughters has a hitch-type bike rack I want to check out to see if it will fit my truck's hitch. That would be the best thing for me. But my car is most definitely off limits for a bike rack because my car takes precedence over any bike.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I don't want to come off as some kind of anti-bike nut here. I own three bikes still, although I don't ride them as mush as I would like.
    My main complaint is the total lack of respect for cars and the rules of the road nowadays from the current crop of bike riders.
    It's like a whiny minority group, consider me equal, but treat me special

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I live in a good area with lots of nice roads and parks. However for me, getting to some of those areas means taking my bike there by car or truck. And I am not about to use my car for this. One of my daughters has a hitch-type bike rack I want to check out to see if it will fit my truck's hitch. That would be the best thing for me. But my car is most definitely off limits for a bike rack because my car takes precedence over any bike.
    I have a car carrier rack, but generally just load them in the bed of my pick-up when I need to transport them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    I used to race BMX bikes when I was a kid. The bike culture has changed so much since then, and not for the better.
    It's like the culture at the gym nowadays, a lot of inexperienced, self important, entitled azzhats waltzing in and getting in the way.
    Plus how about all the spandex outfits on fat guys who think they are in the Tour de France? They say the outfit helps their riding. You know what will help your riding even more? Dropping about 50lbs
    Much like buying a guitar doesn't make one a musician, spandex doesn't make one an athlete.

My wife and I used to ride GOBA, a week-like bicycle tour around Ohio. Seeing fat and otherwise unshapely people in spandex was in and of itself enough to discourage me from continued participation. I've never, nor will I ever own or wear spandex "athletic" wear.

PS-I've already dropped twenty of that extra fifty you mentioned.
    Rock and Glock and ddrew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Dedicated bike trails, lanes, and the like are for the wealthy politically connected and politically vocal subgroups that throw their pocketbooks and political acumen around for selfish purposes. Bicycling advocacy groups abound, and act like they support a constitutional right.

Economic disasters with limited payback of any type, be it financial, environmental, or recreational in any broad based measurement, they cater to the woke crowd living out their dreams with OPM ("Other People's Money") riding $1,000-$25,000 bikes with dreams of superiority and elitism.

Prove me wrong. Change my mind.
    All I can say is that I am not wealthy or politically connected. I am not part of any bicycle advocacy group. I ride a bike that was about $600 MSRP, but I got on credit card points I built up over years of grueling travel on business. But I have dedicated bike trails all around me I can use. The big city near me has bike lanes everywhere. So at least in my case, I don't fit your model at all.
    Rock and Glock and Wolf357 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    You want to ride in the middle of the street? Fine, just get over immediately when a car comes up behind you.

Look at this guy, probably a barista at star bucks

The law of three stupids doesn't apply only to personal security...
    msgt/ret likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    All I can say is that I am not wealthy or politically connected. I am not part of any bicycle advocacy group. I ride a bike that was about $600 MSRP, but I got on credit card points I built up over years of grueling travel on business. But I have dedicated bike trails all around me I can use. The big city near me has bike lanes everywhere. So at least in my case, I don't fit your model at all.
    Not all do, and I wasn't picking on you, really. Denver Colorado has suffered that other type. Expensive, wide, nice bike paths from all of the highly affluent neighborhoods to the white collar employment hubs and centers (Tech Center, Downtown).

When raising my family in Wichita, Kansas we rode the extensive "River Walk" paths for years, all on bikes that were $100 or less.

We have mountain bike meccas around here, and those folks, and their advocacy and trade groups have some serious bitchiness built in. Those folks have a lot of disposable income and some are not about to not flaunt it or abuse it.

I'll exclude you. You are too level headed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Life is so much more complicated that it use to be. Back in the olden days, the 1970’s, well all we had to do was stand about an arms length from the road and stick our thumbs out and “woo La” our chariots would arrive

hitch-hike now days either nonbody would pick you up, or if they do they are the one’s that ask you to “rub the lotion on the skin”! Yikes! 😲

On regarding the bike spandex outfits, good grief eat some ice cream and put some meat on those bones...and get that bike horn out of your behind yes we all can see where it’s going - that’s nasty! 🤮
    jrwhitt and Holmes375 like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Life is so much more complicated that it use to be. Back in the olden days, the 1970’s, well all we had to do was stand about an arms length from the road and stick our thumbs out and “woo La” our chariots would arrive

hitch-hike now days either nonbody would pick you up, or if they do they are the one’s that ask you to “rub the lotion on the skin”! Yikes! 😲

On regarding the bike spandex outfits, good grief eat some ice cream and put some meat on those bones...and get that bike horn out of your behind yes we all can see where it’s going - that’s nasty! 🤮
    You've never been to a large, family-type bicycling event, I'm guessing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links