We need some common sense bicycle control...

This is a discussion on We need some common sense bicycle control... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; New York Post Mayor Bill de Blasio has aggressively pushed a bike-friendly agenda, adding about 100 miles of dedicated lanes for cyclists amid a spike ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: We need some common sense bicycle control...

New York Post

Mayor Bill de Blasio has aggressively pushed a bike-friendly agenda, adding about 100 miles of dedicated lanes for cyclists amid a spike in rider collisions, but he’s done little to address the danger that bikers themselves pose.

Since 2011, bicyclists have injured more than 2,250 pedestrians – including at least seven who died – according to stats from the city Department of Transportation and published reports.

Injuries are up 12 percent this year, rising to 127 through June 30 from 113 over the same period in 2018, the NYPD says.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/nyc-bi...-wont-stop-it/
    CG11, OD* and sdprof like this.

Registration of bicycles, bicycles must be bought at a bike dealer, no online delivery to your door.
    Require micro stamp of tires & handlebars (likely contact points on a pedestrian)
    Bicycles limited to 10 MPH - nobody "needs" to go over 10 MPH on a bicycle.

Pedestrians Demand Action.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I am a regular bicyclist. But I am NOT a believer in "share the road." I don't believe it is safe for bicyclists! A road should only be traveled by vehicles who can follow the rules of the road, one of the most important rules being, "keep up with the flow of traffic." Cars and motorcycles can do that. Roller bladers, skateboards, and bicycles cannot. (I almost put down "riding lawn mowers, but Honda just created a concept riding lawn mower that will do 150 mph!) Add to that, bike riders seem to believe that everyone needs to look out for them and they don't need to follow other traffic rules, like not observing stop signs and lights, lane splitting, etc.

BTW, I was just reading that some cities are considering allowing electric bikes to use bike lanes. Electrics are the fastest growing segment of the bike industry. They can go up to 40 mph, so they are worst of both worlds: faster than non-electric bikes, so more likely to have accidents, but still not able to keep up with traffic.

In addition, the creation of bike lanes decreases the space that can be used for cars. If you are trying to be "green" what you have done with bike lanes is allow a few travelers with no emissions (OK maybe some methane!) more access, while restricting access to carbon emitting vehicles and therefore, keeping them on the road with their engines running for longer periods of time. I have not seen a study on this, but I will bet the net carbon emissions are increased with bike lanes
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    I’m a bike-ler as well and agree with JMF. I see so many riders (not all) that give us a bad name in the eyes of motorists. No consequences for the cyclists, only for the peds and motorists. So many inequities.....
    Holmes375 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

We need to establish a Federal Regulatory Bicycle Department (FRBD) to organize a national bicycle buyback and for those that fail to comply with that then acquire the remaining bikes through active confiscation for safety and security of the American people.

Once the bike threat it eliminated we can consider making bikes available again under future National Bike Act legislation.

#pedestrianlivesmatter
    ButtShot14 and G26Raven like this.

No tandem or high capacity cycles!
    ButtShot14 likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

I consider bicyclists as playing chicken. I don't care what the rules and laws say, it's the grown-up edition of "Go play in the highway." Hit and run incidents are an almost weekly occurrence in this territory, and any adults who wishes to play that game takes their lives into their own hands. The only rule that matters is "Tonnage wins!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    As a long-time bicycling enthusiast and former professional commercial driver, I've seen it from all sides. My best advice to everyone, whether in regard to an inconsiderate motorist or a clueless rider, is don't be that guy.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I just bought a new bicycle a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had one since the 1990's. I am very concerned and careful about going out in traffic and avoid that whenever possible. So far my riding has just been around my development. This could change down the road. But one thing is certain. When a bicyclist and a motor vehicle (car, truck) has an argument, the bike ain't gonna win.
    G26Raven and Rockymonster like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I just bought a new bicycle a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had one since the 1990's. I am very concerned and careful about going out in traffic and avoid that whenever possible. So far my riding has just been around my development. This could change down the road. But one thing is certain. When a bicyclist and a motor vehicle (car, truck) has an argument, the bike ain't gonna win.
    I'm fortunate to live on a lightly-traveled township road surrounded by township and county roads in all four directions. If I like, I can ride for miles seeing few if any cars. With that said, our neighbor and best friend wound up dead in the ditch, tangled up in his bicycle two miles from my house on a very straight stretch of county road. Like many things when they go bad, they go very bad, very fast on a bike.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Things that make me mad

An item from my unpublished book

Random Thoughts of an Old Man

Things That Make Me Mad

2. I hate bicycles in the roadway. In my day, we road our bikes on the sidewalks and yes in the streets, but when a car was coming we got out of the street or moved to the curb. Today you have all these amateur bicyclists in the roadways that think they’re getting ready for the Olympics. I was taught that motor vehicles have the right of way except in areas like crosswalks. Bicyclist now days believe they have the right of way over everyone, everywhere, and some cities have given them all kinds of rights over motor vehicles. I’m reasonable sure the engineers didn’t figure road dimensions and pavement stress factors with bicycles in mind.

In some cities bike lanes have been added, but still many bicyclists won’t stay in a bike lane or they ride the white dividing stripe still causing traffic problems. Bicycles belong anywhere except in the middle of the roadway with 2 tons of automobile bearing down on you.

Why invite disaster? Take your bikes to the track or to the country or use some common sense, pay attention and yield to motor vehicles. The streets and highways were NOT designed for pedestrians or bicycles; they were designed for motor vehicles. Don’t be the cause of traffic problems or the cause of a sad and avoidable accident.
    ddrew likes this.

Self-Defense Education, Training & Legal Protection
    For Responsibly Armed Americans

David R

It's been written about that there are some motorists who have it in for motorcycles. I think there are just as many who have it in for bicyclists. I was riding my bicycle once on a semi-rural road. I was staying to the side, letting cars get by, but there was one stretch that was very narrow and there was some opposing traffic. So I did what bike experts tell you to do, take the middle of the lane, indicating that at that stretch, you don't have enough room to let people around you in the one lane. This narrow stretch was not that long, it would have only taken me about three minutes to get through it and then I could get to the side and let people around me again.

A lady in a jacked-up pickup truck, with a pre-teen girl in the passenger seat, charged right up behind me, obviously intentionally, and hit her brakes hard to come withing about a foot of my rear wheel. Then she backed off and did the same thing two more times and started honking the horn. I pulled off on the shoulder, because I really thought I was about to become a victim of a vehicular homicide. As she passed me, she slowed down, rolled down the passenger side window, reached over her young passenger, gave me the finger and screamed "F-You!" I thought, wow, the Mother of the Year! How is that little girl going to grow up?

I got the license plate and called it into the cops, but they said without witnesses, it would be a waste of time for them to look in to.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    An item from my unpublished book

Random Thoughts of an Old Man

Things That Make Me Mad

2. I hate bicycles in the roadway. In my day, we road our bikes on the sidewalks and yes in the streets, but when a car was coming we got out of the street or moved to the curb. Today you have all these amateur bicyclists in the roadways that think they’re getting ready for the Olympics. I was taught that motor vehicles have the right of way except in areas like crosswalks. Bicyclist now days believe they have the right of way over everyone, everywhere, and some cities have given them all kinds of rights over motor vehicles. I’m reasonable sure the engineers didn’t figure road dimensions and pavement stress factors with bicycles in mind.

In some cities bike lanes have been added, but still many bicyclists won’t stay in a bike lane or they ride the white dividing stripe still causing traffic problems. Bicycles belong anywhere except in the middle of the roadway with 2 tons of automobile bearing down on you.

Why invite disaster? Take your bikes to the track or to the country or use some common sense, pay attention and yield to motor vehicles. The streets and highways were NOT designed for pedestrians or bicycles; they were designed for motor vehicles. Don’t be the cause of traffic problems or the cause of a sad and avoidable accident.
    Bicycles have the same rights of way as other vehicles on the roadway except where spefically prohibited by signage and/or law. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Don't forget the stealth aspect of bicycles - they can sneak up on you, and using them makes no noise. They should be required to have federally approved motor noise devices on them to alert people that they are in use. Further, there should be significant prison time for those who ride silently without a federal permit, which should cost enough to make them think twice about getting one. Lastly, they should have a special use tax because they are evading highway taxes, insurance, gasoline taxes, and licensing/registration fees. Nobody rides for free!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

We need some common sense bicycle control...-35b004cf-d1eb-4519-9b5e-9dba09260ff5.jpeg

Problem solved!

You can ride these drunk too without going to jail!
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links