Hurricane waiting

Hurricane waiting

This is a discussion on Hurricane waiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hate waiting for a hurricane. It supposed to hit Charleston on Thursday. After 4 days of thinking about it, getting prepared, rushing to complete ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Hurricane waiting

Hurricane waiting

I hate waiting for a hurricane. It supposed to hit Charleston on Thursday. After 4 days of thinking about it, getting prepared, rushing to complete work projects, checking forecasts that change, etc all gets a little draining. The mandatory evacuation started at noon on Monday. Way too early as that means trash was not collected today. I-26 eastbound lane was reversed so the main artery to drive here is not available. Creates a nightmare.

I am just about ready. The wife insisted I mow the lawn earlier this evening. Not really sure how that matters. I guess if you end up on the news being rescued it is better to have the lawn tidy. A few hours of work tomorrow morning and I am done. Maybe buy some extra whiskey just in case.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Sponsor
    I'll keep you in our prayers my friend.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonHolsters View Post
    I'll keep you in our prayers my friend.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Thank you Sir.

I have been in some Hurricane near misses in my life. I used to hate these emergencies, but I have started to try to think about them positively. Specifically, preparing for them causes me to catch up on prepping I've been meaning to do anyway. Even if the emergency doesn't materialize, I am more ready for the next one.
    MMinSC and airslot like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    My company operates all along the east coast of Florida. We closed five locations in Jacksonville today because of the media hype - whole town is scared. At 3:30 I looked at every major town from Jacksonville to Miami. The highest wind speed was 23 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    My company operates all along the east coast of Florida. We closed five locations in Jacksonville today because of the media hype - whole town is scared. At 3:30 I looked at every major town from Jacksonville to Miami. The highest wind speed was 23 mph.
    Really? nothing?

VIP Member
    I hear you, brother. We closed the store down at noon today. I finished most of my prep Sunday: fired up the genset, stocked in a fuel supply, mowed the lawn and pulled the ramps from under the 'Vette. I'll get the chainsaw fired up tomorrow and call it done.

Depending on when it turns east, things could get pretty sporty here (Savannah).
    MMinSC and scottync like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I couldn't send you a Christmas card, a hurricane is the best I can do. Best of luck. Blustery and rainy is all we got here. Don't know what I'll do with all this bourbon I stashed.
    airslot, MMinSC and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hopefully it stays further off the coast for all of you like it did for us in Florida.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I hear you, brother. We closed the store down at noon today. I finished most of my prep Sunday: fired up the genset, stocked in a fuel supply, mowed the lawn and pulled the ramps from under the 'Vette. I'll get the chainsaw fired up tomorrow and call it done.

Depending on when it turns east, things could get pretty sporty here (Savannah).
    Good luck man. King tide too, which itself floods Charleston.
    airslot likes this.

I am well off here in Mar Mac, this area has flooded 3 times but I am on high ground. During Matthew water got half way up the yard and would need another 2 feet to get to the foundation then another 2 Ĺ feet to get to the house. I am thinking about getting another generator and welding it to a small trailer I can chain to a tree to prevent another theft. Overall I am prepared and have canceled the Coin Club meeting just to be on the safe side.
    MMinSC, airslot, scottync and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Looks like the eye wall is about 75 miles due east of me right now. I hope everyone here is as lucky as we in FL were. I worked hard these past few days getting ready, but I'm glad I'll be spending tomorrow taking down unused storm shutters and draining the generator rather than assessing the damage.
    Good luck to everyone else still in the path.
    MMinSC, msgt/ret, airslot and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I hate waiting for a hurricane. It supposed to hit Charleston on Thursday. After 4 days of thinking about it, getting prepared, rushing to complete work projects, checking forecasts that change, etc all gets a little draining. The mandatory evacuation started at noon on Monday. Way too early as that means trash was not collected today. I-26 eastbound lane was reversed so the main artery to drive here is not available. Creates a nightmare.

I am just about ready. The wife insisted I mow the lawn earlier this evening. Not really sure how that matters. I guess if you end up on the news being rescued it is better to have the lawn tidy. A few hours of work tomorrow morning and I am done. Maybe buy some extra whiskey just in case.

Easier to clean up afterwards if you mow before you go. I had close to 80 cubic yards of leaf and limb debris in my quarter acre yard after hurricane Michael and we kept up our yard weekly. Hope you dodge it.
    MMinSC and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
    Looks like the eye wall is about 75 miles due east of me right now. I hope everyone here is as lucky as we in FL were. I worked hard these past few days getting ready, but I'm glad I'll be spending tomorrow taking down unused storm shutters and draining the generator rather than assessing the damage.
    Good luck to everyone else still in the path.
    Don't get in too much of a hurry, lot of stuff roiling off the African coast.
    msgt/ret, airslot and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I wish you all the best. Iím far enough inland that itíll be a non event but some of you are in disco country. Be safe.
    MMinSC, airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links