The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions - Page 2

The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

This is a discussion on The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RedSafety In one of my gun or safety training seminars the trainer mentioned a study of convicts and the results were that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    In one of my gun or safety training seminars the trainer mentioned a study of convicts and the results were that some 40% (as I recall) intended crimes were halted by seeing the presence of someone open carrying. I wish I could find that study, but sadly, not on google (surprise, surprise).
    There aren't that many people open carrying in America that they would stop 40% of intended crimes.

The reality is that it's the militant open carry activists that you have to thank for this.

This is a direct result of the idiot(I'm using that word on purpose) in Springfield Missouri who showed up at a Walmart wearing a Tac Vest and carrying an AR FIVE DAYS after another idiot wearing a Tac vest and carrying an AR shot 22 people in a Walmart in El Paso.

You can blame the Chipotle twins for this

You can blame the guys who were unslinging their rifles in Starbucks for a photo-op.

There are so many instances of this that the public perception of open carry is somebody carrying a rifle not an openly displayed handgun on their hip.

I think we're really lucky that none of these places are banning ALL guns from their premises.

I'm told that when open carry passed in Texas a good portion of the businesses that decided to post against open carry decided to post against concealed carry as well and it ended up being a net loss of places you can carry a handgun.

I really believe that if open carriers had limited themselves to carrying handguns we wouldn't see this backlash.

I also believe that if people make asses out of themselves and go out of their way to open carry in these stores they WILL ban ALL firearms on their premises.

I think with rights, or even permissions, comes responsibility. I think it's important to realize that actions have reactions. It is just not realistic or responsible to say, "I don't care what anyone else thinks" for three reasons. First, while don't need to internalize others' opinions of us and we don't need to agree with what other people think about us, truly not caring is not really possible for a normal people, only sociopaths. Second, those people we say we don't care about vote, donate to causes and seek to influence legislation. We want them to do that in the pro gun direction, not the opposite way.

Finally, there is the practical aspect of getting SWATTED. Look at that guy in Springfield, MO who went into a Walmart legally open carrying, not committing any legal offense and is now charged with a felony. He was stupid, yes, but the main issue of his stupidity is that he didn't care what effect his actions might have on other people in the context of what had been going on in the weeks prior. It is especially telling in that the Springfield area is pretty conservative and pro-2A.

Does OC deter crime? I say sometimes yes, sometimes no and sometimes it may cause crime and danger. Does OC "educate the public." Again, sometimes yes, sometimes no and sometimes it causes the public to take actions against us. I say that gun carriers take personal responsibility to make good judgments as to when each is the case and act accordingly. If we don't, we we give the anti-gunners leverage.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    The reality is that it's the militant open carry activists that you have to thank for this.

This is a direct result of the idiot(I'm using that word on purpose) in Springfield Missouri who showed up at a Walmart wearing a Tac Vest and carrying an AR FIVE DAYS after another idiot wearing a Tac vest and carrying an AR shot 22 people in a Walmart in El Paso.

You can blame the Chipotle twins for this

You can blame the guys who were unslinging their rifles in Starbucks for a photo-op.

There are so many instances of this that the public perception of open carry is somebody carrying a rifle not an openly displayed handgun on their hip.

I think we're really lucky that none of these places are banning ALL guns from their premises.

I'm told that when open carry passed in Texas a good portion of the businesses that decided to post against open carry decided to post against concealed carry as well and it ended up being a net loss of places you can carry a handgun.

I really believe that if open carriers had limited themselves to carrying handguns we wouldn't see this backlash.

I also believe that if people make asses out of themselves and go out of their way to open carry in these stores they WILL ban ALL firearms on their premises.
    And there is nothing stopping the anti-gun crowd from staging something to cause this to happen.
    ddrew, ETXhiker and duane_wade like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    And there is nothing stopping the anti-gun crowd from staging something to cause this to happen.
    I agree but I don't see the connection

This may end up pushing a whole lot of people in Open Carry States to sign-up and receive their Concealed Carry permits.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    This may end up pushing a whole lot of people in Open Carry States to sign-up and receive their Concealed Carry permits.
    Perhaps, but I doubt it. People shop at Walmart to "save money" and muh convenience.

I'll be curious to see if in the long run this is a net win for the LGS's...maybe we'll see all the cheaper range ammo move to there because Walmart is giving up. Nature abhors a vacuum.

I think I'm also going to go through receipts and see as a family what we actually buy at Walmart. If they ban CCW I'm NEVER stepping foot into one again. GFZ's are no-go zones.
    ETXhiker and ugh762x39 like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There aren't that many people open carrying in America that they would stop 40% of intended crimes.
    Ok, maybe I worded that poorly. When criminals saw someone open carrying they stopped their plan and either moved on to another location or came back later. When confronted with an open carry, they changed their plans.
    TimBob likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Ok, maybe I worded that poorly. When criminals saw someone open carrying they stopped their plan and either moved on to another location or came back later. When confronted with an open carry, they changed their plans.
    Ok.

But the reality is that some criminals changed their plans and some of them started planning about how they could get that gun off of you.

I'm not a cop but my job brings me into contact with some pretty sketchy people on a regular basis The one overwhelming characteristic I see among these people is that everyone E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E they meet is a mark.

They try to get over on everyone they meet. They're absolutely convinced they're smarter than you and when they look at you the fact that you're openly armed is not a deal breaker. If it was open carriers would never have their weapons stolen. Your gun does not intimidate them in the slightest. If they can figure out away to take it off of you they will and if they can't they'll look for someone else.
    Risasi and Swedishsteel like this.

It really comes down to the superb work of the media, they have vilified guns and gun owners to the point of seeing a gun causes immediate total terror.
    TimBob, Risasi, maxwell97 and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Saw this earlier today elsewhere. No need to confirm the accuracy of the count, but it makes the point.

The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions-69702033_1806340549512675_1465759247340929024_n.jpg
    msgt/ret, Sister, 19Kvet and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    .... to the point of seeing a gun causes immediate total terror.
    I laughed out loud at this.
    msgt/ret likes this.

...and on a positive note, think of all the money we are saving by boycotting these businesses!!!

Levi
    YMCA
    Nike
    Girl Scouts
    Boy Scouts
    Olive Garden
    Dickís

oh gosh Iím sure there are many left out that was just off the top of my head - we use our dollars to let them know how we feel. May or may not make a difference but Iím not contributing to their agendas!

now the list just got longer, I donít like Wally World anyway and traffic is a hassle. Krogers veggies are no where near as good as the HEB so no prob there. Will continue to pay an extra dollar (one of which many we are saving by not shopping/visiting the others) and go to other stores. So far HD and HEB are friendly but God forbid if they change too
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

I never open carry but i still think it BS this option of carry is being taken away from those who do it
    and do it responsibly at certain places....It's a slippery slope we are heading down.
    Sister and Risasi like this.

I heard (and spoke) much of the same grumbling when Walmart stopped selling and emptied their inventory of ARs. This too shall pass. In fact, I hope the ammo sales pass right on down the road to the small local gun shops! They could certainly use the increased business and new customers!! This might have quite a few unintended consequences to drive the gun-grabbers bonkers!!
    Risasi likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links