The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions - Page 3

The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

This is a discussion on The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bikenut In the case of Wal Mart it isn't the request to not open carry. It is Wal Mart aligning itself with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    In the case of Wal Mart it isn't the request to not open carry. It is Wal Mart aligning itself with anti gunners specifically Bloomberg and Everytown for Gun Safety. Are you comfortable with portions of the money you spend at Wal Mart funding that?
    Bingo...it is not Walmart's position on open carry that bothers me...it is their coming out in support of gun control.
    Sister likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Open carry is legal in North Carolina. Where I have seen it, mostly at Walmart, why because that's where we grocery shop. Open carriers appear to be predominately male as opposed to female, but with that said I've witnessed female open carriers also. I guess the open carries have a choice to make stop shopping at Walmart or obtain a NC-CHP. I actually thought I would see open carry more so in rural counties but not as much as I thought I would.

Article from The Slate. They're essentially saying that the guy in Springfield is the best advocate for "Common Sense Gun Reform" they've ever seen

From Discover on Google https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...reychenko.html

I conceal carry all the time except going to range or desert to shoot. I went to Walmart today to get a few items needed. Looked for sign saying no open carry guns allowed. There was none. But did notice there no one open carried as times I shop at this Walmart I would see a few open carry.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Ok.

But the reality is that some criminals changed their plans and some of them started planning about how they could get that gun off of you.

I'm not a cop but my job brings me into contact with some pretty sketchy people on a regular basis The one overwhelming characteristic I see among these people is that everyone E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E they meet is a mark.

They try to get over on everyone they meet. They're absolutely convinced they're smarter than you and when they look at you the fact that you're openly armed is not a deal breaker. If it was open carriers would never have their weapons stolen. Your gun does not intimidate them in the slightest. If they can figure out away to take it off of you they will and if they can't they'll look for someone else.
    You have described the textbook example of a criminal psychopath. Robert Hare, and other notable experts on the subject, estimate that about 1 out of 100 North Americans is a psychopath, as measured on Hare's Psychopathy Checklist. The rate is lower in Europe and much lower in Asia, interesting enough. Of course, not all psychopaths are criminals. Many are successful business leaders, politicians, military officers, bankers etc.

Anyhow, at 1% of the population, most of us enter the sphere of influence of one or more criminal psychopaths every day. The OP is dead on. True clinical psychopaths see the rest of us as a resource. A distinguishing hall mark of psychopathy is the complete absence of a conscience or a sense of guilt. Don't try to imagine that because if you are not a psychopath, the concept is so foreign that it is nearly impossible to precisely fathom. If you walk into Walmart with a handgun on your hip in plain view, to a criminal psychopath, it is not only a weapon that permits control and intimidation, it is also an enticing five-hundred dollar prize. As you blithely read the label on the bag of fertilizer they are watching and scheming on how to separate you from your prize.
    Cypher likes this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    Open carry is legal in North Carolina. Where I have seen it, mostly at Walmart, why because that's where we grocery shop. Open carriers appear to be predominately male as opposed to female, but with that said I've witnessed female open carriers also. I guess the open carries have a choice to make stop shopping at Walmart or obtain a NC-CHP. I actually thought I would see open carry more so in rural counties but not as much as I thought I would.
    My Wife open carrys. I usually conceal carry.
    I do notice some curious looks, makes me inwardly chuckle.
    I guess she'll use her cover garment now when necessary to

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    dennis40x likes this.

About the only thing I use WM for is my diabetic supplies as they are literally 1/2 the cost of other places. Used to but cheap .223 ammo but that will be out of the equation now. Will start looking for my diabetic supplies online now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishsteel View Post
    You have described the textbook example of a criminal psychopath. Robert Hare, and other notable experts on the subject, estimate that about 1 out of 100 North Americans is a psychopath, as measured on Hare's Psychopathy Checklist. The rate is lower in Europe and much lower in Asia, interesting enough. Of course, not all psychopaths are criminals. Many are successful business leaders, politicians, military officers, bankers etc.

Anyhow, at 1% of the population, most of us enter the sphere of influence of one or more criminal psychopaths every day. The OP is dead on. True clinical psychopaths see the rest of us as a resource. A distinguishing hall mark of psychopathy is the complete absence of a conscience or a sense of guilt. Don't try to imagine that because if you are not a psychopath, the concept is so foreign that it is nearly impossible to precisely fathom. If you walk into Walmart with a handgun on your hip in plain view, to a criminal psychopath, it is not only a weapon that permits control and intimidation, it is also an enticing five-hundred dollar prize. As you blithely read the label on the bag of fertilizer they are watching and scheming on how to separate you from your prize.
    I'm trying to remember where I read it, but I think that number is up. It might have been William Aprill. I think it's now an estimated 4% of the population is psychopath/sociopath...and rising. After seeing the meltdowns over the 2016 elections, 2018 elections, the fake Russia coup and all the Pantifa insanity I tend to think it's underestimated.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    All I hope is that the open carrier in one of these places does not refuse to leave or conceal their gun.

We had a guy go into a movie theater open carrying. Anti gun liberal complained to management Nd they ask the open carrier to conceal his gun or put it in his vehicle. The open carrier refused and said the theater was not posted, and TN permits him to open or conceal carry with his carry permit (which is true). Police had to be called and the open carrier was advised to leave or be arrested for trespassing. Non that theater is POSTED. THANKS BUDDY.
    It is also true, posted or not, if management asked him to conceal, put in vehicle, or leave, and he refused to do any of the options, he was already tresspassing. One can be technically right while simultaneously legally wrong.

All of the theaters around me are legally posted as near as I can tell.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Just read at Reuters that Walgreens, CVS, and Wegmans Food Markets are asking folks to not open carry in their stores.

This is a link to the article.

I am beginning to see some handwriting on the wall. It is not a statement to not carry gun in an establishment. It is just a request to conceal it. Since I only CC by IWB or OWB I am not going to get hassled at Walmart, Wegmans, or CVS where I do shop. No I am not going to stop shopping there. They are exercising a right and they are NOT demanding no guns. I can live with that. After all, I do not allow people to smoke in my house. That is self defense.
    I've long been aware of the pro-OC faction's argument that a right not used is a right lost. As I see it in these instances, a right exercised can also be a right lost.
    1942bull and Workaholic like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

I agree with Mike1956. Open carry can easily turn into privileges lost, or stores denied to us, simple because of the stupidity of one person.

I open carry. Around the house and to and from work. Why? Convenience. Its easier for.me to get the holster on and off, considering work is a darn npe. It's also easier for me to access my gun while in driving. My tshirt is usually large enough that if I need to cover it up to go into a store. Of all the times over the past 2 years that I have stopped for gas or something on the way to or from work, I've seen my carrying pointed out once. That was at a quiktrip and I was pumping gas. There are 2 movie theaters on my side of town. One, I've gone to several times, the other, only once. The one with the single trip? I was spending time with my 32 yo son. I rarely get to spend time with him, and we went to see john wick 3. I had him drive by the door before we parked, and it was posted. If it hadn't been for the fact that he bought the tickets online, and it was a rare time out with him, I would have refused to go in and we would have gone to a different theater. I did have a talk with him on the way in, to let him know they would not see me darken their door again, and had to explain about the sign. (And to think I raised him with guns in the house, and he knows I carry). Back to the subject at hand. Walmart wont get another dime from me or the wife. She agrees once I explained about the anti gun relationship they now have, Bloomberg, and the red flag laws. CVS and Walgreens, same thing. Just means I have to plan a bit more for birthday and valentine's day. Didn't know about olive garden. Going to have to search the threads on that one. Ain't got a Kroger's up here, so not worried about it.

This list getting longer is kind of ridiculous. Already have to disarm for prescriptions, the doctor, and groceries (shop on base, it's cheaper). Now its starting out in town. This keeps up, us law abiding citizens won't have anywhere we can go without having to disarm or be funding the anti gun idiots.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links